Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
If you have been thinking about getting the full version of Kontakt 5, this is the time to get it . . .

Native Instruments is having their annual Thanksgiving Holiday 50-percent discount sale, so Kontakt 5 is half-price ($199.50 [US]) . . .

Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments)

Kontakt 5 works very well with NOTION 6, and there are a lot of third-party companies that have custom sampled-sound libraries for Kontakt 5, including Bolder Sounds, which has some fascinating instruments . . .

I have the Bolder Sounds handbells, crystal glasses, Bavarian zither, mandolin, button accordion, world instruments, thumb piano, and Celtic pipes (bagpipes) for Kontakt 5 . . .

Bolder Sounds

RealiTone has a virtual female soprano (Realivox "Blue") who is very nice and sings wonderfully based on phonetic scripts and music notation . . .

[NOTE: For example, the phonetic script for "sweet hour of prayer" is "sweet ahr ahv prehr" . . .]

Realivox "Blue" (RealiTone)

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:38 pm
Great deal on Blue. I've considered purchasing this library for some time. I'm not sure how she'd sound exposed, though. I'd want to place her against a subtle instrument accompaniment, and all the demos seem to be with her singing against a huge cinematic backing orchestra (not quite my thing...)

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:17 am
michaelmyers1 wroteGreat deal on Blue. I've considered purchasing this library for some time. I'm not sure how she'd sound exposed, though. I'd want to place her against a subtle instrument accompaniment, and all the demos seem to be with her singing against a huge cinematic backing orchestra (not quite my thing...)

Realivox 'Blue" is on sale now at an attractive discount, and she's fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)

THOUGHTS

I have used "Blue" on a few songs--mostly doing very simply singing--so I'm not proficient in every aspect of "Blue", but I like what I'm able to do, even though it's not so advanced . . .

I have a composition that I did a few years ago to have a bit of FUN when I was exploring ornamentation and being Pretend Mozart, so I added a bit of "Blue", which took about an hour and included making some changes to the melody . . .

She's singing "OO" for each note, and except for the Intro, she's singing half-notes and whole-notes, so it's not so elaborate; but it might help you hear how she sounds in a different genre, which is somewhat Classical with a bit of Jazz . . .

The instruments are Jazz guitar, bowed cello, celeste, grand piano, and lap steel guitar, which is an odd combination, but so what . . .

[NOTE: This is a headphone mix, so it's best when you listen with studio quality headphones. Later I will do a studio monitor mix, but for now it's for headphone listening . . . ]

phpBB [video]

I want to add a MOTU MachFive 3 "Mark79" Jazz electric piano like the one in this bit of sassy Cuban trumpet Jazz, but not now . . .

phpBB [video]

I also wanted to add a Metal double-kick drumset and a lot of cascading echoes, but I constrained myself . . .

When I get better at putting "Blue" through her paces, I think she can be my K-pop vocal group . . .

I already know how to do the Disco instrumentation, and I have done enough experiments to verify that "Blue" can sing everything . . .

phpBB [video]

American Pop music is obnoxious, so I'm totally into K-pop now (and Metallica) . . .

The arranger and producer for T-ara is a personal favorite, and I like the way there are "sparkles" in the T-ara songs . . .

PHONETICS AND SHORTHAND

I have been teaching myself scientific shorthand for nearly two decades, with some success, but mostly in terms of understanding phonetics, which is very helpful with doing the phonetic scripting for "Blue" . . .

It's a relatively obscure type of shorthand, and it's based on a circle and cursive writing--both of which make sense to me--so I like it . . .

For example, "i" is the dot atop the cursive; "s" is the ascending part of a lower-case "s" in cursive; and "t" is the descending angled line of cursive "t" . . .

The parts of the cursive characters are selected based on the motive direction of the pencil when you are writing, where the idea is that the letters flow smoothly when you write words and phrases . . .

When writing "it's", the phrase starts with the "t" which is written downward and then the "s" is added in an upward motion . . .

Technically, the "i" can be implied, but if you want to make it obvious, you can put a dot over the "t" . . .

So the pattern is "dot", downward short angled line, then upward small curve, where it's all above the line (dashed line in the image) . . .

After a while, you start doing abbreviations, since it's even faster . . .

Instead of the full "it's", you do it with only the downward angled "t" line; and connecting a few dots maps to "is" being only the "s" curve . . .

Then "It is" is just the "t" followed by an "s", which is easy to write very quickly . . .

A "d" is like "t" but the line is longer and continues below the dashed line . . .

Words are written phonetically the way they sound, and this is the part that applies to "Blue" . . .

It makes sense after a while . . .

"Blue" will talk, but the license is very specific that "Blue" can only be used in songs, which is fine with me . . .

When you think about it, there's a bit of logic to it . . .

"Blue" sings when there's a note; and she sings the phonetic syllable or consonant in the sequence or script that coincides with the note in music notation . . .

If I want "Blue" to talk, then I do it with a melodic phrase; and it's always in a musical composition, which is what I need . . .

I write and perform science fiction radio plays, and I add elaborate and continuous music so that legally they are musical recordings rather than audio books . . .

The difference is that someone can purchase an audio book and then rent it as many times as they want. You get paid only for the purchased audio book, not for the rent . . .

Musicians and their attorneys are smarter, which is the reason that only libraries and universities can loan music albums. If you want to go into the album renting business, then you have to get a license and pay royalties for every rental . . .

As long as "Blue" is singing, it's all good . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:16 am
I made a few revisions to "Blue Bird" and mixed it while listening to the calibrated full-range studio monitors here in the sound isolation studio . . .

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

4 posts
Page 1 of 1