Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've had a nice time today experimenting with Notion's video capabilities. I took an internet video of Ryuichi Sakamoto playing solo piano on his masterpiece "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" and attached it to a score, then added my own string orchestra accompaniment to his playing. So in effect, I got to conduct an orchestra backing one of my electronic music heroes!

The hardest part was getting the hit points and tempo right, but Tempo was really helpful in that regard! This was a first cut, using Spitfire Chamber Strings (Kontakt instruments) loaded into a Vienna Ensemble shell. Let me know what you think!

phpBB [video]

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:36 pm
Very nice! :)

As you know, I am primarily "by ear" rather than "music theory", and everything in your arrangement sounds good to me . . .

I listened to it played through the calibrated full-range studio monitor system here in the sound isolation studio and with studio quality headphones (SONY MDR-7506) . . .

The strings fit the grand piano composition, and I think they are consistent with the mood and theme of the piece . . .

Good work! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 pm
Thanks for listening Surf, and for the compliments. I was fortunate to find a transcription of this piano piece about two years ago, and had started to arrange my own version for strings. I happened across this video and thought, hey, it would be fun to try out Notion's video capabilities. That's one aspect of the program that I've never explored.

Interestingly enough, although I had the piano version, this was all composed "by ear," since Mr Sakamoto's piano is not tuned to the A442 of Notion's (and Kontakt's) standard global tuning. I had to wing it...

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by Surf.Whammy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:57 am
michaelmyers1 wroteInterestingly enough, although I had the piano version, this was all composed "by ear," since Mr Sakamoto's piano is not tuned to the A442 of Notion's (and Kontakt's) standard global tuning. I had to wing it...

You ears are good! :)

THOUGHTS

On a related note for folks who might not know this, the global tuning pitch in NOTION 6--and all versions going back at least to NOTION 3--by default is not set to standard "Concert A" (440-Hz), which I consider to be a problem (or at least a source of confusion) . . .

The "Global tuning" pitch is set in NOTION 6 on the "Audio" pane of "Preferences" . . .

In Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), it's called "Master Tune", and it's set in the main window, to the right of "Master Vol" . . .

A440 Pitch Standard ~ Wikipedia

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:25 pm
That's interesting, in Kontakt it seems that there are two places to adjust tuning. I used the tuning adjustment within the instrument as opposed to the one in the main panel of the player.

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by Marcato on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 pm
Well done Michael!

This is certainly a worthwhile effort. It fully respects the intention of the composer, yet it clearly adds a palpable "dimension" I would say. It thickens the sauce for sure, but in a delicate way such as it leaves the built-in finesse intact. When I say "respect", this is what I mean. After watching this video, Michael, you can listen to the piano only version again and still enjoy it. Mission accomplished!

Thanks fo sharing this.
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:56 pm
Marcato wroteWell done Michael!

This is certainly a worthwhile effort. It fully respects the intention of the composer, yet it clearly adds a palpable "dimension" I would say. It thickens the sauce for sure, but in a delicate way such as it leaves the built-in finesse intact. When I say "respect", this is what I mean. After watching this video, Michael, you can listen to the piano only version again and still enjoy it. Mission accomplished!

Thanks fo sharing this.

Thanks Marcato, for listening, and the compliments. I'm not happy with some of it, I'm planning to rework it as time allows. But I tried to be very "accompanying" with my interventions to give the piano playing room to breathe. I think in reworking the piece i may try to play on the melodies and countermelodies of the original work to create even more depth to the accompaniment.

That's what I have in my head, in any case!

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

7 posts