Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
When I write a Notion 5 guitar score using guitar markings (bends, palm mutes, slides, whammy bar) will this be sent with the .mid file export? I want to import into Logic 9. But so far I have had no luck getting these controls from the .mid file. Please enlighten me.
Thank you for helping me.
Been googling all morning no answer yet.

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:39 am
robertthompson1 wroteWhen I write a Notion 5 guitar score using guitar markings (bends, palm mutes, slides, whammy bar) will this be sent with the .mid file export? I want to import into Logic 9.

I'm using the current version of Logic Pro X, which was released earlier this week; and after doing a quick test, it does not know how to handle the NOTION guitar articulations, playing styles, and so forth . . .

Logic Pro X supports MusicXML and MIDI importing, but neither of these formats support the NOTION guitar articulations, playing styles, and so forth . . .

I'm not certain what Logic Pro 8 does, but it's unlikely it does all the new stuff that Logic Pro X does . . .

If you only need the notes--not the articulations, playing styles, and so forth--then you can export in whatever format Logic Pro 8 will accept for importing . . .

If you need the articulations like string bends, whammying, and so forth, then the only practical way to get it into Logic Pro 8 is to export the WAVE audio from NOTION 5 and then add the audio clip to your Logic Pro 8 project . . .

However, if Logic Pro 8 supports ReWire and works correctly with NOTION 5, then you can use NOTION 5 as a ReWire slave to Logic Pro 8 (which will be the ReWire host controller); and doing it this way, the guitar will be handled by NOTION 5 but the generated audio will be sent to Logic Pro 8 . . .

This is the NOTION 4 song I used for the quick test, but I opened it in NOTION 6 for the MusicXML import . . .

[NOTE: This was an experiment I did a few years ago to get a sense of what NOTION 4 could handle in terms of extreme--nearly insane--electric guitar articulations, playing styles, and all that stuff. As you can see and hear, there is a lot of wacky stuff, but NOTION 4 handled it; and NOTION 5 and NOTION 6 can handle it, too, which is almost mind-boggling considering the all the crazy stuff I notated . . . ]

phpBB [video]

For reference, I ran the NOTION 4 electric guitar through AmpliTube 3 (IK Multimedia) and a cascading echo unit (Timeless 2 [FabFilter Software Instruments]), so it's not the standard NOTION guitar amplifier rig . . .

More recently, I am having a bit of FUN with "Sweet Hour of Prayer" and my pretend Asynchronous Melodic Death Metal/Hillbilly Gospel Metal group, KnightKocK . . .

The guitars are done with music notation in NOTION 6 and then recorded in Digital Performer 9 in a series of ReWire sessions, where I enhance the electric guitars with AmpliTube 4 and a set of additional effects plug-ins, including cascading echo units via Timeless 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments), as well as guitar sounds from SampleTank 3 (IK Multimedia), which is what I use for the electric rhythm guitar . . .

[NOTE: This is a headphone mix, and I like the way it sounds when listening with studio quality headphones like the Sony MDR-7506 (a personal favorite) at high volume. The singing doesn't sound so good when you listen with loudspeakers or tiny MacBook speakers, but that's due to this not being a calibrated, full-range studio monitor mix. I probably need to do a bit more work on the singing with the Melodyne Editor (Celemony), since unless I practice singing, I tend to miss notes by a half-step or whole-step, but so what. The song starts with a traditional flavor but then switches to what might be characterized as a Metallica flavor . . . :P ]

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by robertthompson1 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:30 pm
Thank you Surf.Whammy: I appreciate you taking the time to reply and test this.
It is too bad Logic 9 or Logic X does not receive the articulations via midi file but I can always use the audio file from Notion 5.
I tried rewire with Logic 9 as the host but could not figure out how to get any sound in Logic.
Notion does show up when I open a external track and when I double click on it it opens Notion 5 but I can't get Logic 9 start Notion 5 or get the audio recorded on a track. I have never used rewire so I'm sure it is something I am doing or not doing. I keep reading over the manuals but still have not achieved it. I will keep trying but I have no idea what is going wrong.

by Surf.Whammy on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:04 pm
robertthompson1 wroteThank you Surf.Whammy: I appreciate you taking the time to reply and test this.
It is too bad Logic 9 or Logic X does not receive the articulations via midi file but I can always use the audio file from Notion 5.
I tried rewire with Logic 9 as the host but could not figure out how to get any sound in Logic.
Notion does show up when I open a external track and when I double click on it it opens Notion 5 but I can't get Logic 9 start Notion 5 or get the audio recorded on a track. I have never used rewire so I'm sure it is something I am doing or not doing. I keep reading over the manuals but still have not achieved it. I will keep trying but I have no idea what is going wrong.

Sorry about "Logic Pro 8" misread . . .
I need to get my eyes checked, which is on my list of things to do . . .

One of the facts about ReWire is that nobody has current documentation on how to use it with every combination of Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application, NOTION, and Reason (Propellerhead Software) . . .

ReWire is a Propellerhead Software technology, which in the early days was done in cooperation with Steinberg; but the Propellerheads and Steinberg had different visions; so they diverged their respective foci . . .

More recently, the Propellerheads have added support to Reason for Steinberg's Virtual Studio Technology (VST), which is fascinating . . .

Part of the problem is that the only people who actually understand ReWire internals are software engineers; and what happens is that the software engineers explain all the totally detailed stuff to technical writers; and the technical writers understand none of if, because software engineers use a language that only they understand . . .

Software engineers think everyone understands software, but this is seldom the case . . .

I am able to make sense of ReWire for two reasons:

(1) I am a software engineer . . .

(2) I am a third-party ReWire developer, which took about 18 months to get approved; so I have all the ReWire internal documentation and proprietary stuff. I can't tell anyone about it; but it helps me understand how it works; and I can explain how it works to normal people, so long as I do not reveal any confidential information, which of course I cannot do, because none of it makes sense to me either . . . :P

The Logic Pro 9 and Logic Pro X user guides are mind-boggling puzzles; and each one has a section on ReWire that is the most verbose pile of nonsense I have ever encountered . . .

I made sense of it by doing a bunch of experiments and by trying to determine how Apple software engineers would try to do something which should be extraordinarily simple . . .

Every application that does ReWire tests itself with Reason; so everything works with Reason, which is good to know; but Reason only acts as a ReWire slave, not as a ReWire host controller . . .

All the major DAW applications do ReWire, and NOTION works nicely with all of them . . .

I like Digital Performer (MOTU); but here in the sound isolation studio Digital Performer does not like to rewind to the first beat of the first measure in a ReWire session, so it crashes . . .

My solution is to stick a few empty measures at the start of a NOTION score and never use the "Rewind" button in Digital Performer or NOTION . . .

Instead I use Markers in Digital Performer, and this works nicely . . .

I have YouTube videos on doing ReWire with all the major DAW applications and both NOTION and Reason; and they all work nicely . . .

Some of them are not so easy to understand at first, but I suppose it's like cooking on a festival of stoves (electric, gas, wood, and so forth) . . .

After a while, you can cook on anything! :+1

It's been a few years since I was using Logic Pro 9, but I made two YouTube videos showing how to configure it for use with NOTION 4 as the ReWire slave . . .

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

In the YouTube videos, I only used the NOTION 4 Master stereo output to send to Logic Pro 9 via ReWire; so if you want to send individual instruments, then you need to create an auxiliary track and stereo audio track pair for each instrument in Logic Pro 9; and in NOTION you need to set the output for each instrument to a different ReWire channel pair . . .

Other than this, everything is the same for multiple instruments on separate ReWire channel pairs . . .

There are some differences in NOTION 4 and NOTION 5 but nothing too dramatic . . .

You want to do this in 64-bit mode, and you might need to experiment with the buffer sizes in NOTION and Logic Pro 9 . . .

If 256 samples works smoothly, then use it . . .

512 samples is another possibility, but it depends on the speed of your Mac . . .

if the buffers are too small, then the audio skips and is noisy, which also happens if the buffers are too large; so do some experiments to determine the best buffer size for your Mac . . .

When you do it this way, NOTION does the guitar articulations, playing styles and so forth . . .

It sends the resulting audio to Logic Pro 9; and once in Logic Pro 9 you can use effects plug-ins to tailor the guitar tone and so forth . . .

If you are applying effects in Logic Pro 9 on the NOTION guitar, then it's best to remove all the effects on the guitar in NOTION, as well as the default NOTION reverb on the Master stereo output . . .

I can't provide much help with Logic Pro 9 and NOTION 5, since I am now on Logic Pro X and NOTION 6; but if you need help, post a reply; and I might be able to help . . .

The Surf Whammys

by robertthompson1 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 am
Rewire4.jpg
Rewire6.jpg
Rewire7.jpg
Rewire4.jpg
Rewire5.jpg
Rewire4.jpg
Rewire4.jpg
Well... I watched both videos twice but can't get any playback in Logic I double checked all the settings and they are as the in video.
I must be doing something wrong.
Again Thank you for taking your time to help me.
I am enclosing some screen captures of my settings:Sorry for the double entries. Don't know how that happen.

by Surf.Whammy on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:08 am
After looking at the screen captures, the first thing that looks troubling is the "Boom2Device", so I did a web search on it and found several links to questions about how to remove it, which included observations that it messed-up the audio on Mac computers; so this might be the problem . . .

Apparently, "Boom" (Glorious Delight) installs a Mac OS X kernel extension that redirects audio or something similar . . .

More troubling are the posts that indicate if you do not remove "BoomDevice" and "Boom2Device" correctly, then the next time you reboot, the software reinstalls itself . . .

I do not like software that automagically reinstalls itself!

[NOTE: When I am bored, I get on a Windows machine and intentionally infect it with malware and then have a bit of FUN devising ways to remove the malware. It's a way of solving what usually are daunting puzzles; and with the exception of totally gnarly "hostage" malware, I can remove just about anything from a Windows machine. There is one type of malware that does what's called a "hook" and watches what you are doing as you try to remove the malware. If you delete offending items from the Windows System Registry, a few seconds later it adds them back; and the only way to defeat the "hook" is to boot in Safe Mode to MS-DOS and remove it there, since for the most part you can't "hook" MS-DOS. It's an admittedly odd way to deal with boredom, but it's a skill that has proved itself to be useful at times--not with my computers but with computers of folks who call and ask for help when their Windows machines have problems. Of course, I do this puzzle solving on Windows machines that are dedicated for this purpose; and I have a way to restore them and so forth. They are test machines; and as such they are intended to be used to test stuff destructively, which is something software engineers do, so it's all good . . . :ugeek: ]

This is one of the discussions on "Boom" (Glorious Delight) that I found; and it's at the Apple Communities website, which is an Apple website . . .

[NOTE: Most of the technical information and commands will appear to be strange and bizarre, but it makes sense to me; and I think it's good information. As explained later in my post, doing anything in Mac OS X "Terminal.app" can be a bit unnerving; but the folks at Glorious Delight provide an AppleScript to remove "Boom"; and I downloaded it; examined it; and then ran it on the Mac Pro (Early 2008) with no problems. Some of the posts are from 2015 and earlier versions of Mac OS X, but it's all relevant; so I consider it to be good information; and as noted (see below), I downloaded; examined; and ran the uninstall AppleScript with no problems, even though I do not have "Boom" installed, so I am fine with the AppleScript, since it matches the information in the various posts about removing "BoomDevice" and "Boom2Device" via running scripts in Mac OS X "Terminal.app" . . . ]

How To Remove an Audio Device (Apple Communities)

This is one of the many posts about "Boom" and what it does to a Mac:

Boom has completely killed the audio from my 15" MBP - running 10.6.8. Nothing I try, including uninstalling it and reboot, has restored it. Currently trying to find system drivers to reinstall...

I know it hasn't utterly killed my speakers because the machine makes a noise when it reboots, but I can't listen to ITunes or Spotify, watch videos, etc.

My recommend? Avoid this app at all costs!

Based on the information I found, my advice is to remove "BoomDevice" and "Boom2Device" from your Mac . . .

The company, Global Delight, provides an AppleScript for this purpose, which is easier than running somewhat frightening commands in Terminal . . .

I downloaded the AppleScript and examined it; and then I ran it on my Mac Pro running Max OS X 10.11.6 (current version El Capitan, which is the last version of Mac OS X that I can run on my Early 2008 Mac Pro); and it did not find the "Boom" software, because it's not installed on my Mac Pro, which is good . . .

I found some other posts that use the same commands, but in the Mac OS X "Terminal.app", which is the application one uses to delve into the UNIX layer on top of which Mac OS X sits . . .

I do a variety of software development, and I am a registered Apple Developer; so I have all the required developer software and all that stuff . . .

Additionally, I am a registered ReWire and Rack Extension developer, which is a Propellerhead Software thing; and I am a registered Steinberg developer for Virtual Studio Technolog (VST), so I have all that developer stuff, too . . .

Wandering into the UNIX layer can be helpful, but if you make a mistake the consequences can be bad; so I am very careful when doing stuff in this part of Mac OS X . . .

This is the link to the "Boom" uninstall and removal script from Glorious Delight:

Uninstall Boom Device (Glorious Delight) ~ Link to download the uninstall AppleScript

It downloads a .ZIP file, which you then unzip by double-clicking on the .ZIP file to get an AppleScript that is the following:

Code: Select all
on run
   do shell script "sudo kextunload -b com.globaldelight.driver.BoomDevice" with administrator privileges
   do shell script "sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/BoomDevice.kext" with administrator privileges
   do shell script "sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/BoomDevice.kext" with administrator privileges
end run

After running the AppleScript, you will need to reboot your Mac . . .

If this does not remove the "Boom2Device", then you can copy the AppleScript and edit it to change "BoomDevice" to "Boom2Device", and that might remove the "Boom2Device" . . .

THOUGHTS

Generally, when troubleshooting software problems involved with ReWire, I look for things that do not look right; and then I get more information . . .

I am not happy with the information I found about Glorious Delight and its "Boom" product; so I think you should remove it from your Mac . . .

If "Boom" is doing stuff with a Mac OS X kernel extension and a set of audio plug-ins--which it is--then what it's doing might interfere with the ReWire technology and what ReWire is doing . . .

One of the posts also mentioned not to install "MacKeeper"--which I think is good advice--since apparently it's a type of spyware or whatever and can be very difficult to remove . . .

So, let's start by getting "Boom" (Glorious Delight) removed from your Mac . . .

Once that's done, there are some simple experiments that will help determine why you are hearing no sounds in the ReWire session . . .

If the LED volume sliders are showing activity, then there is sound, but it's being redirected or is going somewhere other than to your studio monitor system, internal speakers, or headphones; so the solution is to ensure the sound is sent where it's supposed to be going . . .

ReWire works on the Mac, and it works with Logic Pro and NOTION . . .

This is an indisputable fact; so we just need to ensure that everything is configured correctly . . .

The Surf Whammys

by robertthompson1 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:24 am
As for Boom I have decided to keep it I have never had a problem with it.
As for rewire I don't need it so instead of messing with my two macs I believe I'll just forget rewire. It
if I want something from Notion I will just export Audio or mid files and import into Logic.
I thank you for your trouble and respect your advice, but for now I will stay with my setup as is.
I have no problems with Boom and any of my other software. And I use quite a few other DAWs.
Thanks again for your time. But as for me at this time this issue is solved.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1