Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
How do you change a key signature when a song modulates, in this case, from E to F? Putting together lead sheets. If this is not something that can be done, it's a huge oversight.

Thanks.
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:46 pm
There are two ways to do this:

(1) Shift + K

(2) Tools Palette

THOUGHTS

Over a decade ago, I purchased an Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer with the primary goal of using it to make "space noises" for my science fiction radio plays, but soon thereafter I discovered that when I added improvised chords and phrases played on my Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, I could add more music with the Alesis ION and all the white keys sounded good . . .

Electric bass and guitar are my primary instruments, so it's easy for me to improvise music in real-time on the fly--which is the way I do it--and this also is the case with keyboards when I mostly play only the white keys . . .

phpBB [video]

I have various hypotheses regarding what the key signature might be, but what I know is that I can play all the modes on white keys only (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian), which probably is a clue but is not so helpful since none of that stuff makes a lot of intuitive sense, in part because I taught myself music "by ear", which is the way it works here in the sound isolation studio . . .

I was in a liturgical boys choir as a child, and that's where I learned how to sight-sing Classical music (soprano clef only), and since working with music notation in NOTION beginning in 2010 I have learned a lot about music notation and music theory, but for me it's like being able to speak English and then learning how to read and write French . . .

Now I do everything on soprano treble clefs in the key signature that has no flats or sharps, and NOTION has the ability to play notes upward or downward by as many as two octaves, which is the feature I use to make everything on a soprano treble clef . . .

Here in the sound isolation studio, there are only 12 notes and perhaps 10 octaves, which makes it easier mathematically and geometrically, since I can keep track of 12 notes and 10 octaves much easier than having to deal with 88 keys on a grand piano and the idea that each one is unique, when the reality is that only 12 notes are unique and what makes them different is the octave, which is a "higher or lower" thing . . .

I suppose that's a bit odd, but it works for me, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by ianmontgomery on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 am
Thank you, but I'm looking to modulate a song, I know how to add a key signature. In this case the majority of the song is in E, but modulates up a half-step to F for the guitar solo and bridge. Just looking to have the key change without having to do two separate staves. This happens in all kinds of music and is fairly common, it should be easy. Really surprised this isn't simple.
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:29 pm
ianmontgomery wroteJust looking to have the key change without having to do two separate staves.

Why would you need two separate staves?

If most of the instruments will be playing the same parts but a half-step higher, then after you do the key change, you can copy the various parts when the key was E and then paste them where the key change to F occurs. Once this is done you can use the Transpose tool to move them upward by a half-step . . .

Another way is to use the Transpose tool without doing the key change. This keeps it all in the key of E but the notes are a half-step higher for the section where you do the modulation . . .

THOUGHTS

I don't use key signatures because (a) they are cumbersome and (b) they hide the true or absolute pitch of notes, which by design is confusing . . .

For example, the key signature for E Major has four sharps (C#, D#, F#, G#), but this is not shown for the notes, so you have to do a mental mapping to know that when you see what looks like C, it's actually C# . . .

It's too much to remember and to map in real-time while playing or singing, and it's just a "shortcut" type of thing that someone decided centuries ago would be a great idea and a way to avoid having to add sharps and flats to notes, which in those days had the additional bonus of requiring less ink and paper . . .

As you know, for guitar you just need to move everything upward or downward by some number of frets--so long as you avoid open position and instead use Barre chords and four-note chords . . .

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

4 posts
Page 1 of 1