Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Trying a major key. This is subtitled "If It Ain't Baroque, Don't Fix It".

I've been trying out a couple of theory/composition programs. For the last week or so I've been using Harmony Navigator LE and Songworks. Pretty interesting and low-cost tools for composition. They both generate midi files that can be imported directly into Notion as starting points for further development.

phpBB [audio]

Enjoy, and feedback of course, it always welcome!

Michael

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:15 am
I like this one a lot, and it sounds good . . .

My intuitive preference is for the bass to be more to the left, but this is due mostly to Paul McCartney being on the left in Beatles concerts . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:37 am
Surf.Whammy wroteI like this one a lot, and it sounds good . . .

My intuitive preference is for the bass to be more to the left, but this is due mostly to Paul McCartney being on the left in Beatles concerts . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Thanks Surf! I spent time on the production quality on this one because I knew you'd be listening! :)

Traditionally, string quartet ensembles place the cello stage right. There are some groups that play with this a bit, but for the most part for classical quartet arrangements it sounds odd to have bass left. Of course, the musical heft of Sir Paul is certainly to be considered! Interestingly enough, I gave a listen to Eleanor Rigby and it seems that George Martin, being limited by the nature of early four-track recording, placed the entire string quartet accompaniment dead center in the mix. There are also some odd stereo anomalies in that recording; At one point Paul's voice splits very noticeably from mono to stereo. It's almost jarring to hear him bounce around in the stereo field.

It's interesting that technology today gives us so much more sophisticated tools than folks like Martin and the Beatles had in the early 60's. But is our music better? I'd argue that it's not necessarily. As Fabio said in another post, it's the content of the composition that matters, not necessarily the production.

Which is what makes that early work by folks like Martin and the Beatles FABULOUS, as you say!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

3 posts