Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recently bought Notion 6 and am pleased with it although it's a steep learning curve. I also have GPO 5 and used the Notion plugin manager to enable Aria. As soon as I did that Garritan Personal Orchestra appeared in the score set up page. I selected an instrument from the list and then tried to input into the score sheets using both the mouse and midi keyboard - no sound whatsoever! The result was the same whether or not the Aria player was activated. I checked the Notion mixer to make sure that it was not muted. I had another instance of a score sheet open using a Notion instrument and that worked fine with either mouse or keyboard input.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
by fabiobiolcati1 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:28 am
Hi David.
Maybe there's no instrument loaded in ARIA?
Sorry if you must load it manually.
I don't know if Notion presets are updated to house GPO5.

———————
Fabio Biolcati
Notion5
VSL SE 1 & 1+; 2 & 3 SE Strings
GPO4
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac
4GB RAM
10.11.4 El Capitan OSX
by lindamurdock on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:37 pm
This is exactly my problem. Does anybody have an answer????
by themaartian on Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:30 pm
Another possibility based on your description (another instance of Notion open)...

Your audio driver is not multiclient. The first instance of Notion "captured" the driver, so the second instance can't use it.

If you close the other instance and have just the one open, does it still fail (no audio)?

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by Surf.Whammy on Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:39 pm
lindamurdock wroteThis is exactly my problem. Does anybody have an answer????

It will be helpful to know if you are doing this on the Mac or Windows . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I had a version of Finale a few years ago, and it uses the Aria player and a subset of Garritan Personal Orchestra although not the Garritan version that is mapped in NOTION 6 to a preset, so I can't provide much help specific to the NOTION preset, but so what . . .

When solving problems like this, I do experiments . . .

EXPERIMENT #1

In this experiment, you want to verify that the Airia VSTi virtual instrument is working correctly . . .

Ensure the Aria player is enabled in NOTION, and then in NOTION Score Setup create a staff for the Aria VSTi virtual instrument and load it with an instrument other than a Piano--perhaps a Harpsichord or a French Horn . . .

Put some notes on the staff and see if it plays . . .

If it plays, this verifies that the Aria engine is working correctly . . .

It also provides a workaround solution until the pre-mapped GPO preset problem is identified and solved . . .

Puzzles like this are easier to solve on the Mac, but there are solutions for Windows machines, as well . . .

There are several possibilities, and one of them involves account privileges if you are doing this on a Windows machine . . .

On the Mac, most folks run with Admin privileges, which are the highest possible privileges, hence no problems with not having the privileges necessary to use certain software, with this being a separate matter from having the requires software license (computer-based or iLOK USB dongle) . . .

SUMMARY

If the Aria player works as a VSTI virtual instrument, where you will need to load the instruments yourself, then this provides a workaround solution . . .

The version of the Garritan Personal Orchestra for an older version of Finale works here in the sound isolation studio on the Mac Pro (Early 2008) running macOS El Capitan (10.11.6), but it does not work as the NOTION preset (Garritan Personal Orchestra) . . .

Another possibility is that Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 is not supported . . .

There are other possibilities, but starting with the first experiment will provide useful information . . .

The GPO preset is in NOTION Score Setup, so it works when everything is installed and configured correctly, hence solving the puzzle mostly is a matter of determining what is either not installed or not configured correctly . . .

For reference, I do not use the NOTION preset mappings, and I do not use articulations, dynamics, playing styles, and all that stuff, mostly because for my favorite musical genres it makes no sense . . .

With a handful of exceptions, I do everything on soprano treble staves and use the "Transposition" capabilities in NOTION Score Setup to cause notes to be played some number of octaves or intervals higher or lower than notated . . .

This is vastly easier, and it maps to having 12 notes and 10 or so octaves, at least two of which humans cannot hear, at least if they have attended a Metallica or KISS concert and were near the front of the stage . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:24 pm
As a bit of follow-up, I purchased Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 (GPO 5) recently, and it's working nicely on the Mac . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I was using the Garritan and the Aria Player from Finale 2012 (MakeMusic), but it had problems, so I didn't use if very much . . .

[NOTE: I use NOTION exclusively, but in 2012 I was curious about Finale, Sibelius, and Muse Score, so I got them and instantly realized (a) I just wasted several hundred dollars and (b) they are vastly too cumbersome for me even to think about using them. Now I know, and in this instance knowing cost me nearly $500 dollars and was a total waste of money. It was one of the most stupid things I have done, but at times this is the cost of knowledge . . . :mrgreen: ]

I continue not to use GPO much and got it mostly to verify the new version of the Aria Player works, which it does, provided you follow a few simple rules when you use custom, user-defined MULTIS . . .

I do everything on the Mac here in the sound isolation studio, and at present my primary computer is a Mac Pro (Early 2008) running macOS El Capitan 10.11.6, which is the most recent version of macOS it will run. The display is an Apple 30" Cinema HD Display (2004) that I purchased on eBay for $250 plus $50 for shipping, and it's fantastic . . .

I have some newer Macs that run everything current--at least before macOS Big Sur--but they have 13" displays and I can't see them very well . . .

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

I use a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid (FW, USB2) external digital audio and MIDI interface, and for some reason it likes Analog 3-4 for output, which is different from the standard Main 1-2 for output . . .

I got advice on this from MOTU, and they said it depends on the software, since while most applications default to Main 1-2, this is not always the case, hence the strategy is to cycle through output pairs until you discover the pair that works . . .

[NOTE: This also might be due to MOTU using a non-standard output pair at the time, but so what . . . :roll: ]

The result here in the sound isolation studio is that I need to set NOTION and Studio One Professional to output to the Analog 1-1 output channels, which for the MOTU device actually maps to the Channel 3-4 pair, since Main output maps to the 1-2 channel pair . . .

[NOTE: Confused, yet? 1-2 is the Main output channel pair, but Analog 1-2 is the one that works for me, so it's 3-4 . . . ]

NOTION and Studio One Professional default to Main 1-2, which is fine unless it's not the right output pair for your computer and audio system . . .

When NOTION and Studio One Professional are set to output to Channels 1-2, I see LED volume level activity but I hear no sound . . .

The solution is to change the output pair to Analog 1-2, which in NOTION and Studio One Professional maps to Channels 3-4, which is confusing, but so what . . .

NOTION Mixer

Studio One Professional Audio I/O Setup

This might explain the problem you are experiencing; and if so, then the solution is simple: Change the output channels to the pair that works for your computer . . .

OBSERVATION

I think I'm a smart person--and I am--but who knows about stuff like this and where is it documented?

I know about it now, but only because I called MOTU and got technical advice from someone who knows about stuff like this . . .

I am writing a book on digital music production--coming along nicely--and after pondering all this stuff, I decided to write a chapter about busing and routing audio (real and virtual) . . .

Once you understand busing and routing--which as I define it includes audio and MIDI--then all the otherwise advanced, complex, confusing, and mysterious stuff makes sense and becomes intuitive . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. If you are doing this on a Windows machine, then I can't be much help . . . :oops:

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1