Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
File VE Strings Test - VSL SE Vienna Ensemble - hairpin dynamics work properly. See Meas. 114 in the following.

File: VE Strings Cello from MM.notion - hairpin dynamics are seriously messed up - full of the jitters. This is just one part of a score that is riddled with the issue - unusable.

This does not seem to be a completely unknown issue:
viewtopic.php?f=167&t=12513&p=68480&hilit=hairpin#p68480

The above thread is similar - no indication on how it was resolved.

kmlandre made reference to " hairpin/dynamic attachment issues" in viewtopic.php?f=167&t=5510&p=27919&hilit=hairpin#p27919

What are " hairpin/dynamic attachment issues" and how do you if you have them and what is the remedy?

Also, I attached a video showing the jitter in VSL.

bp

Attachments

#2 Cello issue.wmv [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 8038 times ]

VE Strings Cello from MM.notion
hairpin dynamics are seriously messed up - full of the jitters.
(541.01 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
VE Strings Test - new file.notion
File VE Strings Test - VSL SE Vienna Ensemble dynamics work properly.
(127.56 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

==================================
Elitebook 8570w 24GB Ram, Windows 7
Fantom external 1TB
Cakewalk Sonar X3
PreSonus Notion 6
PreSonus Studio One
VSL SE Vol 1 complete
IK Miroslav Philharmonic Ver. 1
Novation 61SL Keyboard
by johnnewberry on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:52 pm
Hello Bruce
I hope I understand correctly. Not sure what you refer to when you say "jitters" ?

Try the edited Notion file of yours here.
VE Strings Test - new file vBump.notion
(128.58 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

Or, edit your file by bumping up the first of the tied notes velocity level a small amount.

In Notion. like any notation software, tied groups of notes are really one long note.
The velocity of the first note is used for this long note event.
Long story I'll try to make shorter I hope.

With you example, when using Notion hairpins going from pp<FF the VSL sound engine can't open up to it's LOUDEST level completely.
It's digitally controlled amplifier or DCA never receives the needed velocity of 127.
The velocity range is 0-127. In Notion pp=40 as a default of velocity.
The instruments Player or Engine is velocity dependent like most sample based VSTI's.
I would be nice if Notion could compensate for this in some. Not sure how. That's another discussion.

Most modeling technology VSTI designs don't have this retriggering problem in Notion.
In Notion they can produce sound levels for "tied notes" from ppp < FFF >ppp <FFF -over and over- indefinitely using the first tied notes velocity level.

- In Notion using most sample based audio engines their is only one solution I've found and it is an compromise.
By setting the first tied notes velocity to a little higher level so that the DCA of the VSTI has more top-end volume range.
But, then the low level becomes comprimized. It's probally then a little louder.
So, finding the best of both is necessary. .
i.e.What's most important at the point in the music?
The low level pp ?
or the FF ?

Anyway, I hope this will help.
Tell us what you came up with as your choice.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by brucepearson on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:44 pm
[quote="johnnewberry"]Hello Bruce
I hope I understand correctly. Not sure what you refer to when you say "jitters" ?

>> Dis you watch the video? cc 11 bounces, jitters...

Try the edited Notion file of yours here.
VE Strings Test - new file vBump.notion

Or, edit your file by bumping up the first of the tied notes velocity level a small amount.

Ah...this file plays properly, as I said...no tweaking required.

The other file has hairpin jitters all through it.

bp

Fantom external 1TB
Cakewalk Sonar X3
PreSonus Notion 6
PreSonus Studio One
VSL SE Vol 1 complete
Novation 61SL Keyboard
by johnnewberry on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:14 pm
I don't have the VSL library.
Your upload of - VE Strings Cello from MM.notion ?
I'd say it's corrupted in some way. Or I don't have something that should be loaded.
When I load it the mixer doesn't have any control knobs ?
Even after assigning an VSTI of mine.

Couldn't get it to work for me.
To narrow thing down, have you tried to start with a new Notion document ?

,Newberry

by brucepearson on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:59 pm
johnnewberry wroteI don't have the VSL library.
Your upload of - VE Strings Cello from MM.notion ?
I'd say it's corrupted in some way. Or I don't have something that should be loaded.
When I load it the mixer doesn't have any control knobs ?
Even after assigning an VSTI of mine.

Couldn't get it to work for me.
To narrow thing down, have you tried to start with a new Notion document ?
>>>>> Yes...I attached it to the original post. Issue is with VSL SE...
,Newberry

Fantom external 1TB
Cakewalk Sonar X3
PreSonus Notion 6
PreSonus Studio One
VSL SE Vol 1 complete
Novation 61SL Keyboard
by johnnewberry on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 pm
I now see that the VSL ruleset must be removed to get the mixer back. And then I can get things to work.

I'm still not sure of your issue Bruce.
?
_.JPG

,Newberry

by michaelmyers1 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:17 pm
Bruce, I took a look at the MM file and corrected some of it. The problem was exactly what I had indicated to Christian in the older post that you refer to, plus at least one basic user error.

By the way, you didn't mention what version of Notion you're using, but when I opened the file, it was updated, of course, to v6. I hope there's no backward compatibility issues if you try to open the attachment in an older version.

The first issue is a user error: In measure 1, you have a decrescendo starting on pp, to mp at measure 3. Mp is louder than pp, so you're asking Notion to do the impossible by decreasing velocity (or volume) from a soft note to a louder one. This makes no sense, and will certainly confuse the program as it tries to negotiate this backwards hairpin. I corrected that.

Next, it's not always convenient, but for playback, Notion requires consistency in placement of dynamic markings. The next thing I did was to move all the dynamic markings to below the staff for page one, and it plays back beautifully now, using VSL instruments in Vienna Ensemble 5. I also did the same for measure 115 (I think you had the wrong measure in your post above) and it plays back nicely as well.

For multi-voice measures, dynamic markings for voice 1 need to be above the staff, and dynamic markings for voice 2 need to be below. The dynamic markings at measure 60 (the one John shows a picture of above) are seriously whacked. Not sure at all what your intent is there, but that will never play back well, and I doubt a human instrumentalist could figure that one out either! :)

Again, consistency is key. If you place dynamic markings above the line and others below the line, it will confuse Notion and playback will be affected. This is an unfortunate reality with Notion at this point, and the issue has been raised with the developers. I'm hoping to see some improvements in future releases.

By the way, I never place dynamic markings on measure lines. I always place them on notes. I don't think that's a hard and fast rule, it's just something that I do, a personal preference. In the case of your file, I placed the initial dynamic marking of a hairpin on a note, and I left some of the ending markings on a measure. It works quite well.

Another comment; not sure of your intent with the composition, but at a place like measure 81, since you told Notion to play p at measure 77, it will continue playing p until it encounters some other instruction. So there will be a jump after the single note in measure 81 as Notion jumps to the mp dynamic in measure 82. This may be your intent, but be aware that if you want a smooth transition, you will need a hairpin, or you need to place the mp on the single note in 81, or do something different.

I always try to keep in mind that I'm instructing a machine what to do, and I try to be very consistent. Sometimes this means that I even have to duplicate measure markings for an entire piece both above and below the staff.

Painful? Yes. Worth the effort? I think so.

I hope this helps.

Michael

Attachments
VE Strings Cello from MM Corrected.notion
(584.17 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by brucepearson on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote
....user error: In measure 1, you have a decrescendo starting on pp, to mp at measure 3. Mp is louder than pp, so you're asking Notion to do the impossible by decreasing velocity (or volume) from a soft note to a louder one. This makes no sense, ....
>>>>> Yes, I saw that this morning...sigh...

.....measure 60 (the one John shows a picture of above) are seriously whacked. Not sure at all what your intent is there, but that will never play back well, and I doubt a human instrumentalist could figure that one out either! :)
>>>>>>Saw that, too...Might have been a left-over from my cat walking on the keyboard...

Again, consistency is key. If you place dynamic markings above the line and others below the line, it will confuse Notion and playback will be affected. This is an unfortunate reality with Notion at this point, and the issue has been raised with the developers. I'm hoping to see some improvements in future releases.

>>>>> Here is where a well-known location for all known issues is really important...both to users and developers...does this exist and I don't know about it.? (I'm a software developer by trade and a Notion user by avocation, so I know both viewpoints to some degree.)

By the way, I never place dynamic markings on measure lines. I always place them on notes. I don't think that's a hard and fast rule, it's just something that I do, a personal preference. In the case of your file, I placed the initial dynamic marking of a hairpin on a note, and I left some of the ending markings on a measure. It works quite well.
I always try to keep in mind that I'm instructing a machine what to do, and I try to be very consistent. Sometimes this means that I even have to duplicate measure markings for an entire piece both above and below the staff.
>>>>>I there a quick way to move the dynamic markings?>

>>>>>>Getting it right is always worth the effort. However, this seems like an issue that anyone could run into. How intuitive is it to know you have to put dynamics BELOW the staff for them to work properly. The user should not be able to enter data that will not function as expected. I have invested hours and hours trying to get a score to play correctly when the issue seems well-known,..to you at least!

I hope this helps.
>>>>>Yes, it certainly does and I appreciate your input greatly. While I have you on the line, I think you made mention somewhere about "tweaking" the ruleset for VSL SE. How does one go about doing that?

Michael

Fantom external 1TB
Cakewalk Sonar X3
PreSonus Notion 6
PreSonus Studio One
VSL SE Vol 1 complete
Novation 61SL Keyboard
by brucepearson on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:55 pm
@johnnewberry
>>>>>oops...
>>>>> Se michael's post...

thanks

Fantom external 1TB
Cakewalk Sonar X3
PreSonus Notion 6
PreSonus Studio One
VSL SE Vol 1 complete
Novation 61SL Keyboard
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm
brucepearson wrote
michaelmyers1 wrote
....user error: In measure 1, you have a decrescendo starting on pp, to mp at measure 3. Mp is louder than pp, so you're asking Notion to do the impossible by decreasing velocity (or volume) from a soft note to a louder one. This makes no sense, ....
>>>>> Yes, I saw that this morning...sigh...

.....measure 60 (the one John shows a picture of above) are seriously whacked. Not sure at all what your intent is there, but that will never play back well, and I doubt a human instrumentalist could figure that one out either! :)
>>>>>>Saw that, too...Might have been a left-over from my cat walking on the keyboard...

My cat is my constant studio companion!

>>>>> Here is where a well-known location for all known issues is really important...both to users and developers...does this exist and I don't know about it.? (I'm a software developer by trade and a Notion user by avocation, so I know both viewpoints to some degree.)

Other than this board? Not that I know of.

>>>>>I there a quick way to move the dynamic markings?>

Unfortunately, none that I know of.

>>>>>>Getting it right is always worth the effort. However, this seems like an issue that anyone could run into. How intuitive is it to know you have to put dynamics BELOW the staff for them to work properly. The user should not be able to enter data that will not function as expected. I have invested hours and hours trying to get a score to play correctly when the issue seems well-known,..to you at least!

It's not intuitive at all. Users have to be able to enter dynamic markings both above and/or below the staff, so I don't know how it could work to disallow that somehow. I learned of this issue by having the same problem occur in my work and experimenting to try to fix it. I don't know that it was ever documented anywhere until Kurt Landre and I noted it at about the same time. By the way, I think there might be an issue with your file. I can usually place dynamics either above or below the staff for a single voice and it will work. I just can't mix them up and down. I'd try a file from scratch where you enter ALL the dynamics below the staff and see if it won't work.

I hope this helps.
[i]>>>>>Yes, it certainly does and I appreciate your input greatly. While I have you on the line, I think you made mention somewhere about "tweaking" the ruleset for VSL SE. How does one go about doing that?

I don't think that was me, or if it was I have forgotten. I find that the rulesets built into Notion for VSL work very, very well. After more than three years of working with them, I've never found anything I wanted to change.

Happy Notioning!

Michael

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Marcato on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:00 am
This said
I came to the obvious conclusion: there definitively should be an annual summer festival heralding music accidentally composed by cats walking on keyboards.
The extravaganza would be under the glittering baton of maestro Suf Whammy.

Cheers
by brucepearson on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:27 pm
Just to close this out.

The issue is cured by putting all dynamics BELOW the staff. After some investigation, much to my surprise, this seems to be STANDARD....who knew?

BP

Fantom external 1TB
Cakewalk Sonar X3
PreSonus Notion 6
PreSonus Studio One
VSL SE Vol 1 complete
Novation 61SL Keyboard

12 posts
Page 1 of 1