Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
14 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am currently using Notion 5. I do primarily orchestral music, but not professionally, more like a hobby. Should I upgrade to Notion 6? Is there anything truly earthshaking that I simply must have?

Michael Diemer
I-7, 16 GB RAM, WD Black HHD's, 1TB (2); Windows 7 Pro, UR-22 interface, Reaper, M-Audio BX5a monitor/Mackie sub, Sonar 8.5.3, GPO4, EWSO Gold, Vienna Sp. Ed. 1, Cinematic Strings
by alainleblond1 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:20 am
Michael,

User of many music software since 1989 I can say that it is always a good thing to update tools we work with.

I started using N3 and I have always been very pleased about all update.

Its a privilege to grow with the software and be up to date with the possibilitys of the tool.

So, go ahead you will not regret.

N6 is great... especially for orchestra work.

Best

Mac Pro (early 2009) 5.1
2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, 32 Go
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Notion6, Studio One 3, DP 8,
Finale 2012, Dorico v. 1.0.2
VSL, SE Complete Bundle, Vi Pro, MIRx
Roland A-88 keyboard
by fabiobiolcati1 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:59 pm
Someone elsewhere in this forum said dynamic changes in N6 are no longer working well as previously did (I noticed something alike in N5 hairpins managament — target notes dynamic jumps abruptly)…

———————
Fabio Biolcati
Notion5
VSL SE 1 & 1+; 2 & 3 SE Strings
GPO4
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac
4GB RAM
10.11.4 El Capitan OSX
by michaeldiemer1 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:56 am
One Plus, one Minus...guess I'll keep wondering...

Michael Diemer
I-7, 16 GB RAM, WD Black HHD's, 1TB (2); Windows 7 Pro, UR-22 interface, Reaper, M-Audio BX5a monitor/Mackie sub, Sonar 8.5.3, GPO4, EWSO Gold, Vienna Sp. Ed. 1, Cinematic Strings
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:45 pm
fabiobiolcati1 wroteSomeone elsewhere in this forum said dynamic changes in N6 are no longer working well as previously did (I noticed something alike in N5 hairpins managament — target notes dynamic jumps abruptly)…

Fabio, the hairpins and dynamics have had a lot of attention in the various 6.x updates, and they seem to work as well or better than they ever did.

Michael
Last edited by michaelmyers1 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:50 pm
Michael, any software program is improved with each new version, and Notion is no exception. For the price of a meal in a decent restaurant, I'd highly recommend it.

Just the ability to manipulate layout with handles would be worth that to me, as an example, but there are so many more improvements!

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaeldiemer1 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:01 pm
So, what would happen if I took one of my projects done in Notion 5, and opened it in Notion 6? Would new features automatically integrate themselves into the score?

Michael Diemer
by michaelmyers1 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 pm
Yes. You would notice no difference, but new features would be available.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaeldiemer1 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:51 am
Is there more flexibility in N6 in where you put staccato dots? In N5, they always seem to end up over the tops of the stems, rather than the notes. Last night I added dots to triplet figures, and the middle dot is obscured by the "3" which indicates the figure is a triplet. Same for slurs. Many times it would look much neater (and more professional) to put the slur over (or under) the notes, instead of the stems.

Michael Diemer
by fabiobiolcati1 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:41 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteFabio, the hairpins and dynamics have had a lot of attention in the various 6.x updates, and they seem to work as well or better than they ever did.l

That's good news. Thank you Michael.

———————
Fabio Biolcati
Notion5
VSL SE 1 & 1+; 2 & 3 SE Strings
GPO4
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac
4GB RAM
10.11.4 El Capitan OSX
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:38 pm
michaeldiemer1 wroteIs there more flexibility in N6 in where you put staccato dots? In N5, they always seem to end up over the tops of the stems, rather than the notes. Last night I added dots to triplet figures, and the middle dot is obscured by the "3" which indicates the figure is a triplet. Same for slurs. Many times it would look much neater (and more professional) to put the slur over (or under) the notes, instead of the stems.

MIchael, sorry, i'm not the best one to answer questions about Notion's engraving abilities. I use it strictly for performance.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by BobF on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:39 am
Is it possible to demo N6 without disrupting an existing N5 install?

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:17 pm
In the MacOS world, I'm pretty certain you can install Notion 6 without replacing Notion 5, and run them both at the same time.

Can't say for Win.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by michaeldiemer1 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:19 pm
michaeldiemer1 wroteIs there more flexibility in N6 in where you put staccato dots? In N5, they always seem to end up over the tops of the stems, rather than the notes. Last night I added dots to triplet figures, and the middle dot is obscured by the "3" which indicates the figure is a triplet. Same for slurs. Many times it would look much neater (and more professional) to put the slur over (or under) the notes, instead of the stems.

Well, I solved this particular problem. I found in the manual that you can specify where you put the tuplet numeral, top or bottom. But I don't see any way to put the dots where you want them. Still, not a big problem, unless you're hoping to produce perfect scores, which being a hobbyist I'm not.

Michael Diemer

14 posts
Page 1 of 1