Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a score of 42 instruments that plays back fine on my fairly powerful 64-bit Windows 10 computer in dense passages. In one particular spot, however, there is a consistent hiccup. Here there are only 4 instruments playing. If I stop playback and set my cursor back a few measures earlier and play from that point, no hiccup in that spot. But if I playback from the beginning of the score, there's almost always a hiccup there, with everything else, including much denser passages, playing back fine. What's really frustrating now is that I'm trying to send the audio to Studio One. In Studio One now, it's "printing" the hiccup! To fix it in Studio one I would need to create a splice in all 42 tracks and try to realign them to the measures. Has anyone seen this or know what the issue could be? I know timing problems can happen when the meter and the notes/rests in any given measure don't agree, but that's not the issue here. As stated, the score plays back fine if I set the playback cursor just a few measures ahead of this spot and let it play from there. The spot does feature a meter and tempo change and strings switching from unmuted to muted, so it could be related to an intense data stream, but like I said, there are far more dense/faster, more processor-demanding (I think) passages in this 8-minute piece. Thanks!
by kipcrawford on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:56 pm
I had the same exact thing happen to me.

I vaguely remember making a tempo change from one bar to the next which may have been the culprit. I didn't really understand it at first because it also "transposed" the anomaly into S1 which made me think that the Notion file was to blame. I messed with it for awhile with no results in my favor until I decided to change the tempo using rit./accel. commands. What I did was instead of a tempo change from 90 beats (quarter note) to 72...I used the rit. command from the first note of the bar to the last note of the next bar going gradually from 90 to 72 beats. Anomaly vanished.

Unfortunately, this "trick" wasn't conducive to what I wanted in the score. When I reverted back and removed the rit. command....the anomaly returned. So, I did some editing and fixed it to use rit.. The same can be done I suppose with the accel. command, but never tested it. I find this problem with some of the VST instruments I use in Kontakt, but not all the time. I have also noticed if and when this happens to me is when I have more than 6 instruments in the score....especially if I use my Grandeur Piano from Kontakt.

I remember this was brought up before concerning Notion files going to S1 and the usage of memory and CPU....but cannot remember what it entailed.
by ScantlinJ on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:58 pm
kipcrawford - thank you for your reply! I will have to experiment with this and see if I can get the workaround to make sense in my score. That might be one solution. Another workaround I thought of is to use a clean break a few measures before this occurs and save the score as two files, with all the measures occurring before the break as one file, and all the measures after as another. Then all I would need to do is bounce both files to studio one and use a tempo/meter map from the original files to align the audio.

Incidentally, all of the audio I'm bouncing are Presonus standard sounds (including some add-ons purchased from Presonus). Once I have that audio in Studio One I'll add in some of my other VST instruments to finish up the piece. Thanks again ... nice to know you're not the only one when you find a problem like this!
by johnnewberry on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:54 pm
I've had similar anomalies. It's quite rare I think.
Anyway, there are a couple of options I have successfully used to recover from what I'd call an unexplained "corrupted" Notion score document.

• Create and Save an duplicate Notion score document with the same layout and instrument staff settings.   I don't think it matters in this procedure how many measures there are in the new duplicate file.
  Then Open the original (bugged) score. Select All, Copy and Paste into the newly created duplicate score. Of course you have to have both Notion documents open at the same time. Close the original and test the duplicate score playback.

I don't think the (bugged) element will be copied into the new document.
Notion's Select All function doesn't select the (bugged) element because it can't see it?

• The second option is to export the file as an MusicXML.
  Then Import it back into Notion.

Of course these are last ditch effort recovery methods to save hours of work when it becomes corrupted in some way not seen or accessible.
Also, it should be expected that the new duplicate score may or most likely will require some touching up.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by kipcrawford on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:49 pm
• Create and Save an duplicate Notion score document with the same layout and instrument staff settings. I don't think it matters in this procedure how many measures there are in the new duplicate file.
Then Open the original (bugged) score. Select All, Copy and Paste into the newly created duplicate score. Of course you have to have both Notion documents open at the same time. Close the original and test the duplicate score playback.

I'll have to try that that next time (and there will be a "next time" I'm sure).
by denissimard on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:03 pm
I'm having the same issue. I tried both the Copy/Paste and XML methods with no change.

Interestingly, if I bounce only the MIDI to Studio One, everything is fine - it's only happening when bouncing the audio. I don't currently have any VSTis right now so this isn't very helpful.

Even more interesting, Studio One's idea of the measure count is not the same as Notion's - it's seven measures longer at the point where the audio drops out completely.

Scratching my head.
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:57 pm
You might also want to try showing hidden items to see if there's something odd hanging out at that point that might be causing problems. Sometimes I've found that a misplaced dynamic marking or one stuck to a measure line can cause problems.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by denissimard on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:31 pm
Yes, I looked for hidden items, but there don't appear to be any. That said, there are a lot of dynamic and tempo changes in my score - perhaps I need to take a closer look at that.
by denissimard on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 pm
On a different note, Mr. Myers I've seen your posts in a number of different forums - a pleasure to make your acquaintance!
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:41 am
Mutual, of course!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by brucepearson on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:22 pm
Make sure your dynamic markings are constant with regard to above or below the staff. Always below the staff works consistently for me.

bp

==================================
Elitebook 8570w 24GB Ram, Windows 7
Fantom external 1TB
Cakewalk Sonar X3
PreSonus Notion 6
PreSonus Studio One
VSL SE Vol 1 complete
IK Miroslav Philharmonic Ver. 1
Novation 61SL Keyboard
by polstam on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm
So I've had this problem quite a lot, and I found a way to fix it!
This problem is (as far as I know) caused by crescendo's and/or diminuendo's. The way to fix it is to:

1. Figure out which (de)crescendo is causing the hiccup. I do this by removing them one at a time and listening to the playback if the hiccup is still there. It's often a hairpin in the measure before the hiccup.

2. Remove the hairpin, replace it with the exact same one and listen; if it's still there, try removing the entire measure for the instrument and replacing it. (Copy/paste doesn't work)

3. Enjoy your bug free composition! At least I hope, I haven't tested this method thoroughly, but it seems to work.

Please let me know if this worked!

12 posts
Page 1 of 1