Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
How do I quickly and easily create chord diagrams that match the fingering of a given tab? I find it much easier to follow a picture (chord diagram) than the tab with numbers and n the strings.
by jamalbee on Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:55 pm
Page 13.12 of the User's Manual (available from the help menu) should answer your question.

If you can't access the Manual for any reason, here's a copy of the pages. It is very detailed...

"Since there are multiple ways of playing any chord, and some sound or “ finger” better in context much better than others, you can include chord diagrams These graphics of fingering on a fretboard help guitarists reproduce the sound you intended for your composition This is strictly for musicians reading your score: Notion does not read this information for playback
TIP: If space on a hardcopy page is an issue, you have the option of Entering just the chord names instead of full graphics
Phase One: Open the Chord Library
1 Ensure you are in Edit mode
Click the Chord Library icon in the top right of the window
» The chord library appears and is locked open If this is the rst time you used this feature this session in this particular score, the chord library shows options for the default chord name of C major If you have Entered other chords this session into this current score, then you see the diagram and chord name of the most recent chord you entered
Chord Library (default of C).

Phase Two: Specify the Chord You Want
As you construct the name of the chord you want, you’ll notice the chord diagram at the right-hand end of the library changes accordingly
1 First click the chord root (C through B in the upper left) Also click a at or sharp if needed » Notice the other chord name options in the middle of the library change accordingly
2 Choose a chord quality (such as m7 or sus4) by clicking any of the chord names above the line in the middle area If the chord structure you want is not there, you can “build” your own:
> Select a basic structure (what appears on the left side of the chord name you’re creating)
> Click as many quali ers as you want to appear to the right of your choice above For example, for Bbm6b9 you
click Bbm above the line and click both b9 and 6 below the line
> To unselect a quali er you previously selected, simply click it a second time in the library
3 Then, optionally, you can specify a bass note by returning to the left side and selecting your choice from the small C through B (and cicking a at or sharp if needed)

Phase Three: Decide on the Best Fingering
The “best” fingering for a chord is partially how it sounds in context – but it also involves how comforTably a musician can come to the chord from the previous spot in the score and will be at a comforTable place to progress to the next chord/position

1 When you finish with the name of the chord look at the diagram You view a simple version in first position, near the nut There will be other options in the Chord Library to choose

2 Whatever fingerings are currently in the chord library’s diagram also appears on your Music Cursor So, whenever you have the diagram in the chord library the way you like it, position the Music Cursor where you need the chord (you can place it over an empty measure in either a notation or Tablature sta ) and either press Enter or click your mouse
» You have completed adding a new chord diagram

3 You can also Enter the fingerings from scratch using the interactive fretboard
If, for any reason, you decide to switch from chord diagrams to chord names, simply click on
the diagram so it is no longer highlighted: your Music Cursor only shows the name Click the diagram again (so it is highlighted) and your Music Cursor displays a diagram again
If, for any reason, you decide you would rather type the name of the chord, click Type-in Tool in the library’s upper right Position the Chord text where you want and press Enter or click your mouse, type the chord name into the temporary box, then either press Enter or click your mouse

Change an Existing Diagram
As with any score marking, you can delete an existing chord diagram and replace it with a new one But other methods are available (below) Be aware that if you double-click an existing diagram, you can change the name of a chord in the temporary box, but this does not change the fingering diagram You use either the Fretboard or return to the chord library to change an existing chord’s fingering

Use the Fretboard
This option makes it easy to change the fingering of an existing chord (though, at Step 4 you can also change the name, if needed)

1 Display the Fretboard (in the Menu bar, select View > Show > Show Fretboard) » The Fretboard appears with no fingerings
2 Click an existing diagram once so it turns orange in color » You see the chord’s existing fingering on the Fretboard
3 Change the fingering on the Fretboard to suit the new chord Every change you make appears in the existing diagram on your score If you want, you can click and hold down the Audition button at the top of the Fretboard to heard how your chord edits change the sound
4 If you also need to change the chord’s name, you can double-click the diagram now to change the chord’s name in the temporary box (or you could have done that at any point earlier in the process)
5 To un-select the diagram, click anywhere in the score area
» The diagram returns from an orange color to a standard black color "
by perry1 on Sat May 01, 2021 2:34 pm
The user guide makes no sense, I'm trying to add a set of chord inversion diagrams to make it fast and useable and no were can I find away to knock out a set of diagrams. I have been clicking and double clicking every where and find nothing. Sorry I have been using Tux guitar which is very easy, though I'd buy a pro program and up grade my world. What am I doing wrong? I must be making this harder than it is. I can write by hand faster. 2. Click an existing diagram once so it turns orange in color.
» You see the chord’s existing fingering on the Fretboard.
3. Change the fingering on the Fretboard to suit the new chord. There is no Orange!!!
by Surf.Whammy on Sat May 01, 2021 4:44 pm
It's easy to do, but it's not so easy to read the written explanation and procedures . . . :ugeek:

THOUGHTS

Rather than try to explain it another way with words, I created a YouTube video, which took about the same time but is vastly easier to understand for aural and visual learners, a different group from the folks who acquire knowledge by reading words rather than by hearing things and seeing it done . . .

[NOTE: Among other things, I am a Computer Scientist, which maps to thinking like a software engineer and in turn maps to doing things visually with a lot of mousing. Software engineers tend to know how things work but not to be so good at explaining stuff to technical writers, who generally have no idea how anything works, hence need to get the information from software engineers. The result typically is that user guides make sense to technical writers but do not always make actual sense. In some respects, software engineers speak a different language from technical writers, and the only thing these folks have in common is that they wear Hawaiian shirts on Friday when the boss orders pizza and soda pop for everybody . . . :P ]

I am not known for short posts, but in this instance doing a video makes sense, hence not so much writing . . . :+1

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by perry1 on Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am
Thank you for your time, I see this is a very labor intense and clumsy and for the purpose of my book and more. I will say with my old system as it seems to be more useable for the guitar playing of chord forms I'm trying to demo. Thanks again
YouTube: LINGUS || Cory Henry's Solo on Guitar

5 posts
Page 1 of 1