Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
16 posts
Page 1 of 1
How can I do a correct drum notation automatically? I'm using EZ Drummer and I will that hihat parts automatically added as an x.
by jamalbee on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:26 am
Unfortunately, Notion will not do that automatically.

Importing a drum midi file is a nightmare, too. Most of the time you will get a piano score. Command T and selecting drum staff will not solve the issue as the notes will be placed on ledger lines and not where they're supposed to be.

That's because it's midi, a sequence of 1's and 0's. Then why is it a problem with drums only ? Importing flute midi file results in no problem whatsoever. I mean the notes are on the treble staff, at the right place.

It's a sad thing as we now have Notion 6- that is 6 version of Notion (let apart the different updates)-and the program is still unable to handle drum notation properly. I don't even think drum mapping yet is possible -or is it ? I didn't find anything about it in the manual :cry:
by Sodium on Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:57 am
Hi,

Welcome to the club ...

Please vote this feature request : http://answers.presonus.com/10003/pleas ... ral-format

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by patricemazmanian on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:53 pm
+1

S1 pro 6 -Vienna Ensemble Pro - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra...
by Sodium on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:43 am
It's now the feature request with the most votes, i hope it will be fixed in the next update.

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by wayneland on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:03 pm
I recently submitted a request to provide drum mapping in Notion. I think that's the only way to make MIDI drum parts import correctly. A map would be created for the incoming MIDI that would then automatically apply correct pitches and note heads. It should also allow the resulting drum part to be played back through the original instrument i.e. EZdrummer, or have the part played by Notion's own drum set. My request only has 2 votes so far but it's pretty new.
by Sodium on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:45 pm
Still no luck in the last update ...
Dude, YOU HAD ONE JOB !
Seriously, how hard can it be to map some notes and symbols to the correct pitch ?

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by jamalbee on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:36 am
I've just checked the Dorico forum about drum mapping and I've learnt that it is also a feature that is missing in this software. But I've also learnt they're working hard on the issue ! From there we may assume that either drum mapping is very difficult to implement in a notation software (thus the reason why the developers are taking their time to offer the most perfect rendition) or developers just don't know how to do it properly or they might think drum parts aren't as important as piano or string parts and so they're not in a hurry to offer the feature... Let's hope proper drum notation and drum mapping will be available sometime soon.
by BobF on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:20 am
Just ran into this setting up FA06 as an external sound source. Messy to say the least.

I voted the FRs, but this doesn't appear to have much tracktion

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Sodium on Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 am
From there we may assume that either drum mapping is very difficult to implement in a notation software (thus the reason why the developers are taking their time to offer the most perfect rendition) or developers just don't know how to do it properly or they might think drum parts aren't as important as piano or string parts and so they're not in a hurry to offer the feature..

Or they wan't you to buy additionnal banks instead of using your own plugins ...

Can't believe this hasn't been fixed by now, i won't be buying the next Notion update that's one thing for sure ...

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by Rudi_UK on Tue May 30, 2017 5:53 am
Same here. I have used many sequencing/scoring programmes even from the early days of MIDI and they all adhere to the GM (General Midi) conventions when it comes to drum parts. The same with e-drum kits, virtual drum apps etc. Some of them offer custom mappings too if needed.

I also use an open scoring programme which has a way of doing things I particularly like. When adding a drum staff you can select a pre-defined drum map, e.g GM or create your own custom ones which you can save. One of the great things about those maps is that you can define a default note head and voice for each MIDI drum note, so you don't have to change note heads afterwards and move them to the right voice.

Not having that facility also makes it hard to record in real-time - the existing mapping is very unusual :mrgreen: and the resulting score is very hard to read in addition to not matching existing conventions.

It would be great if at the very least GM mapping were added to Notion to begin with! :D

Rudi
by rogerlatapie on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:57 am
I wondered why I was pulling my hair out.

I have just got Notion 6 today 08 03 2021 and wanted to use EZ drummer as a VST to enter a drum track. Nothing that I am doing will allow me to do this. Now I know why.

Please you guys at Presonus. sort this out.!!!!
by scottstoner on Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:42 pm
5+ years after the original post and I just ran into this issue. Exported a song directly from Studio One 5.4 into the latest version of Notion 6 and the drums are a piano score and nothing plays back even though I have the default drum sounds loaded.

Used Superior Drummer 3.1 in the original song so I loaded the Superior Drummer plug in as a VST instrument in Notion and all it played was the kick. So it didn't even map the drums correctly per the same VST plug in.

So basically, I need to re-score the drums in Notion???

Studio One Pro6
Studio Laptop - ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15
Win11 AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS 3.3 GHz 40GB RAM 1.4TB SSD Interface: Neural DSP Quad Cortex
by madisonfinley on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:07 pm
I just attempted to export drums from Band-in-a-Box into Notion 6 for Windows. Same problems as report just above. This must be addressed for Notion 7 and standardized with GM. Thank you.

Windows 11 Home, Notion 6, Studio One 6. Intel i9, 32 GB RAM
by acequantum on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:18 pm
A workaround is to use MuseScore to convert the drum scoring to Notion. I think MuseScore accepts MIDI files with GM mapping. Load your drum part there. It should convert automatically to standard drum score notation. Then export as MusicXML fom MuseScore. Then import MusicXML into Notion and you should be good to go.
by madisonfinley on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:04 pm
Cool. I will try this!

Windows 11 Home, Notion 6, Studio One 6. Intel i9, 32 GB RAM

16 posts
Page 1 of 1