Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
43 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
OVERVIEW

UCNET (Discover on network)
• Studio One can send Instrument track data to Notion 6 via new command "Send to Notion" via UCNet ( not Rewire). Notion will convert it to notation and open the new page in one click on Studio One. If Both Studio One and Notion have the same instrument it will share presets and you will hear it the same sound in Notion. This is useful to print the instrument data as notation.
• Notion can send notation to Studio One with a new commands Send to Studio One. It use UCNet as well and not Rewire. The Instrument data will show up in a track and have the same preset if they both know about the plugins, and you will be able to play the instrument in Studio One. This is useful to transfer part or all of a score over to Studio One for more refined mixing.
• You can also transfer audio to and from Studio One and Notion with the same command and different option. This is useful if you have a melody or chord progression and you want to write accompaniment parts in Notion.
• You can also send 44.1k 16 bit files from Studio One browser directly to Notion 6.

Rewire
• Previously available Studio One as the Master and Notion as the Slave you can link the two together to add Notion instrument parts.
• Previously available Studio One can record the Notion Instruments audio .
• New Studio One can access Notion Rewire MIDI channels as input to its own Instruments and record the input.

Drag and Drop
16 bit 44.1k audio form S1 browser to N6

Suggested Use cases: ( it depend on what you want to do and where you are more comfortable)
UCNET

• If you are more comfortable using Notion to create/produce then S1>N6 notes/VSTs allows you to get S1 performances into Notion for notation purposes or all in one mixing in N6.
  • If you are more comfortable in Studio One then N6 > S1 allows you to write via Notion and bring into S1 for Mixing,FX routing etc and Album producing.
  • If you want to print sheet music for S1 Instrument tracks, then S1>N6 Note data works well.
  • If you are more comfortable creating in Notion and only need a S1 vocal or rhythm section as an example, you can UCNet over the audio mixdown or stems to help you write the notation.
  • If you are more comfortable mixing in Studio One then transferring N6 audio staffs to S1 tracks will work well.
Rewire:
  • If you are Ok creating with both apps (in tandem) and are more comfortable in Notion, then N6>S1 N6 Rewire MIDI enables you to use the power of S1 Instruments/VSTs
  • If you are Ok creating with both apps (in tandem) and are more comfortable in Studio One, then S1 Rewire MIDI allows you to use N6 Instruments as part of your S1 song.

Limitations: As of this release UCNET only support new documents( song/score). You can however have multiple documents open in each app and use copy/past to move the data to an existing song/score.

CRITICAL NOTE: Rewire and UCNet are not compatible. You can use one or the other not both.

It take a full restart of Notion to stop Rewire.

UCNet has been around since 3.0 in S1 but it new to N6. There are networking debug steps Here if you need to let your OS know about UCNET.

Step by Step procedure:

S1 to N6 UCNET procedure:
1) Start S1 and select track or song to export MIDI
2) Click Song/Send to Notion a prompt will come up to start Notion
3) Notion will start and prompt will change to option to send track ,song or audio mixdown
4) Select Notion on this computer, Send note data
5) Note data will be converted to notation in a track name that matches.
HINT: If the Instrument is 'Grand Piano' and 'Grand Presence' in the Artist's instruments Keyboards folder or Presence XT Piano or Grand Piano a Grand Staff will be created in N6.
Verify that you have Grand staff option set in the preferences.
If the Instrument is known to both S1 and N6 ( a VST like Kontakt or SampleTank 3. etc the patch will be shared

6) Save the Song in N6.

phpBB [video]

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Bbd on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:45 am
Thanks for this post Jeff. Very helpful!
:)

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by luminal33 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:54 am
I have installed Notion 6 (it works fine) and I've updated S1 to v.3.3.
When I click on "Send to Notion" it shows an error window saying Studio One couldn't detect Notion 6. There's a button to manually launch Notion 6 which opens the software, but it gives me the menu window, not creating a new sheet file with the Studio One midi track.
Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
Thanks

HP Envy Intel Core i7 CPU 3.07GHz, RAM 8GB
OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Presonus Studio One Pro 3.5
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL

https://facebook.com/lizmartinmusic
by arndkaiser on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:57 am
More importantly...

Rewire:

• Notion 6 can now play any instruments loaded in Studio One directly

Arnd Kaiser - General Manager - PreSonus Software
____________________________________________________________________________________
M1 Mac Book Pro (13" - 2020) / LG 5K UltraFine Display / macOS 13.4 / PreSonus Revelator io44

"friends don't let friends clap on one and three"
by thomasbaxter on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:19 pm
luminal33, make sure that in Notion Preferences you uncheck the Rewire box and check the box that says "Allow Network Discovery."
by shihweichoo on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:06 am
Will N6 work with 3.3 artist the same way with pro version?

Studio One 3, Sonar Platinum, Reason 10. O8N2, lots of IK t-racks, Waves Gold. Tons of piano vst, synth vst, KU10 and AD2. Win 7 64bit, i7 CPU, 14Gig RAM and Focusrite 18i8.
by johnnewberry on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 am
shihweichoo wroteWill N6 work with 3.3 artist the same way with pro version?

Hello shihweichoo.

Support for AU, VST2, and VST3 plug-ins and ReWire applications is available as an add-on from Presonus for the "Artist" version.

However, I highly doubt that the "Interoperabilty" will be available without Studio One Professional.
The menu items are different I'm sure. To say the least.

So, if you want the features, upgrade to the Studio One Professional version to avoid hang-ups with compatibility.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by peterroos on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:15 pm
Are their videos about this anywhere yet?
by jpettit on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:41 pm
added video to OP

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by shihweichoo on Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:18 am
I managed to send midi from studio one artist to N6 demo. But not from the other way around

Studio One 3, Sonar Platinum, Reason 10. O8N2, lots of IK t-racks, Waves Gold. Tons of piano vst, synth vst, KU10 and AD2. Win 7 64bit, i7 CPU, 14Gig RAM and Focusrite 18i8.
by jeanbernarddubois on Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:33 am
hello Jeff , thank's for the video of Markus , i waited for it , it's interesting and usefull for the fisrt approoch ! so i ve a question , in witch case do we have to use the REWIRE option insted of Discover the network ? in my case i use nerwork and my instruments are the one's of my Korg PA3X connected in USB and it work fine
See you
Bernard from France
by frank.crow on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:36 am
Super cool of you to do this. Thanks so much.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by craigparmerlee on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:03 am
I asked a question on a separate thread here:

I think I have a basic misunderstanding of how active this integration is between Notion and StudioOne. I was hoping for a situation where I could drag MIDI drum patterns (and other MIDI snippets) into StudioOne and have them appear in the Notion score. I was thinking/hoping that the two products are actively linked, to the extent that if content is added to the Notion score it is immediately available in the DAW and vice versa.

It appears instead that the transfer is basically batch mode and really one-way for practical purposes. Is that a more accurate way to describe it?

Home studio:
Windows 10 Home 10.0.143393 64-bit
Intel Core I7 4 core 3.6 GHz 16 GB RAM
Studio One 5.0 Professional (and other DAWs)
Audiobox 1818VSL audio interface
Mobile studio:
Studio One 5.0 Professional
HP Pavillion 15-cs3079nr laptop Intel Core I5-1035G1 8GB, 1.29 GHz, 4 core
Presonus StudioLive AR12 USB as interface (Looking to upgrade)
by peterroos on Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:53 pm
Thanks for posting the video, that is very helpful.

Two questions:

1. What if you change something in your score in Notion, is there a way to automatically update your session in Studio One?

2. What happens with dynamics / expression technique text? For example, if the score goes from pizzicato to arco, or from p to ff, is there a way to "convert" the midi messages into whatever VST you are using as plugins in Studio One?

Both of these are crucial for orchestral film scores - creating a convincing midi mockup is pretty essential.

by craigparmerlee on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:10 pm
peterroos wrote1. What if you change something in your score in Notion, is there a way to automatically update your session in Studio One?

And vice versa? if you change something in your MIDI in StudioOne (e.g. change a pitch or duration), is there a way to automatically update your score in Notion?

When I watched the videos, that was the impression I got. But I think it was the wrong impression. It seems to me the data transfer only happens on command.

I am not criticizing. I just want to understand what is actually there. This two-way dynamic transfer of data is the Holy Grail. If it isn't supported yet, that surely ought to be the ultimate goal.

Home studio:
Windows 10 Home 10.0.143393 64-bit
Intel Core I7 4 core 3.6 GHz 16 GB RAM
Studio One 5.0 Professional (and other DAWs)
Audiobox 1818VSL audio interface
Mobile studio:
Studio One 5.0 Professional
HP Pavillion 15-cs3079nr laptop Intel Core I5-1035G1 8GB, 1.29 GHz, 4 core
Presonus StudioLive AR12 USB as interface (Looking to upgrade)
by jpettit on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:33 pm
craigparmerlee wroteI asked a question on a separate thread here:

I think I have a basic misunderstanding of how active this integration is between Notion and StudioOne. I was hoping for a situation where I could drag MIDI drum patterns (and other MIDI snippets) into StudioOne and have them appear in the Notion score. I was thinking/hoping that the two products are actively linked, to the extent that if content is added to the Notion score it is immediately available in the DAW and vice versa.

It appears instead that the transfer is basically batch mode and really one-way for practical purposes. Is that a more accurate way to describe it?

I saw you other post and I agree I would have implemented pure drag and drop between the two apps. I asked for that as a Feature when Presonus acquired Notion. S1 has always been killer at drag and drop. It seem to be foreign to the Notion team, however maybe we will see more of that in the future. It helps to start an FR in Answers as many of the changes in this update actually came from that database of requests.

You can drag Audio from S1 Browser to N6 as long as it is 44.1k 16 bit.

by jpettit on Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:38 pm
peterroos wroteThanks for posting the video, that is very helpful.

Two questions:

1. What if you change something in your score in Notion, is there a way to automatically update your session in Studio One?

2. What happens with dynamics / expression technique text? For example, if the score goes from pizzicato to arco, or from p to ff, is there a way to "convert" the midi messages into whatever VST you are using as plugins in Studio One?

Both of these are crucial for orchestral film scores - creating a convincing midi mockup is pretty essential.

1) No, not as of this release but it is in the plans
2) Have not tested, but from what I hear there are limitation to articulations being converted and transmitted via UCNet or Rewire.

by peterroos on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:57 pm
jpettit wrote
peterroos wroteThanks for posting the video, that is very helpful.

Two questions:

1) No, not as of this release but it is in the plans
2) Have not tested, but from what I hear there are limitation to articulations being converted and transmitted via UCNet or Rewire.

Thank you for your reply.

These two things are really critical ... it is nice to be able to automatically send midi to a sequencing program, but the real magic is in a seamless integration between a notation program and a DAW program. This is a biggie for a lot of composers, film composers especially.

As of this moment, the notation programs and DAW programs are still two different worlds ... if you can create something that will allow people to write a score and choose whatever VST they want, and control the basic functionalities (dynamics, technique, expression, maybe some simple automation) from one environment, you have found the goose with the golden eggs.

by steveonbass on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:33 am
jpettit wroteHINT: If the Instrument is Presence Piano or Grand Piano etc a Grand Staff will be created in N6.

Hi,

I've just been testing sending a piano part from Studio One 3.3, using Presence Piano or Grand Piano, to Notion 6.

The piano data does indeed get sent over to Notion but appears on a single treble clef stave. I have made sure I'm playing a wide range of notes, from low to high, but it doesn't automatically appear on a grand staff.

What am I missing?

Thanks and all the best,

Steve
by jpettit on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:50 am
Did you turn the Grand staff import option on in the preferences?

I have only testing it on a few presets. Some work and some don't (more testing needed)

I have a request in to describe what they look for to determine when to apply it.

43 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3