Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
43 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
steveonbass wroteThe piano data does indeed get sent over to Notion but appears on a single treble clef stave.

Hi Steve.

Sending note data to Notion-6 from Studio One 3.3 does automatically use an Grand Staff on my Windows version. For the instrument shown here.

send with Grand staff 2.JPG

send with Grand staff 1.JPG
send with Grand staff 1.JPG (18.4 KiB) Viewed 27557 times

Make sure USE GRAND STAFF is check selected in the Notion-6 Preferences>MIDI Import tab as in the the image below.

Use Grand Staff setting.JPG

,Newberry

:arrow:
by steveonbass on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:54 am
jpettit wroteDid you turn the Grand staff import option on in the preferences?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i had that option selected and this is what happened.

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 17.51.05.png
by johnnewberry on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:27 pm
steveonbass wroteI've just been testing sending a piano part from Studio One 3.3, using Presence Piano or Grand Piano, to Notion 6.

Steve,
unfortunately the naming system is not recognized for every piano "name" at this point.
In your example image in the previous post, - Acoustic Piano - Full - must not be recognized in this Notion-6 version.

The Studio One 3.3 "Grand Piano" and "Grand Presences" are a couple of the instrument names that are recognized by the process and function to automatically Use Grand Staff when sending notes to Notion-6. Those work for me.

A Studio One Instrument Category designation would assure that Notion would recognize the need to -Use Grand Staff- as set in the Notion-6 Preferences...

The instrument name recognition process I'm certain will only get better from here on.

,Newberry

by steveonbass on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:31 pm
johnnewberry wrote
The instrument name recognition process I'm certain will only get better from here on.

Thanks very much for that John, I'd just discovered it by trying out a few different pianos and found Grand Piano in the Artists Instruments>Keyboards folder. Thanks to you I now know the Grand Presence works too.

What a great forum!

All the best and thanks again,

Steve
by steveonbass on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:37 pm
jpettit wroteI have only testing it on a few presets. Some work and some don't (more testing needed)

Thanks for your help with this. I went through and tested all the piano sounds and found the 'Grand Piano' and 'Grand Presence' in the Artists instruments>Keyboards folder.

That'll work nicely until they tag all the keyboard instruments :-)
by jpettit on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:42 pm
steveonbass wrote
jpettit wroteI have only testing it on a few presets. Some work and some don't (more testing needed)

Thanks for your help with this. I went through and tested all the piano sounds and found the 'Grand Piano' and 'Grand Presence' in the Artist's instruments>Keyboards folder.

That'll work nicely until they tag all the keyboard instruments :-)

Cool
I was in the middle of testing them but don't need to now. A few of the Presence XT ones also work.

Presonus does need to be clear on that.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by johnnewberry on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:52 pm
Actually I'm wrong, the staff name doesn't seem to be what determines if "Use Grand Staff" is utilized.
It should!

I tried sending PianoTeq 5 note data from Studio One 3.3 into Notion-6 that did not apply a Grand Staff.
I then re-named the Studio One track name to "Piano". This was not recognized either.
So the recognition is from a different source than the staff and instrument name.

If I get some more information I'll be sure to pass it on.

,Newberry

by [email protected] on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:41 am
Great topic, thanks so much! Through this I've been able to get ReWire working. Specifically I can

-- link my Notion project in to my StudioOne song and have the notes that I've scored in Notion sound with the Notion instruments under the control of Studio One.
-- create a rewire staff in Notion and plunk down some notes, and then put an S1 instrument in my S1 song and have it triggered by those notes.

There's one more thing I'm curious about -- is it possible via ReWire to have midi that I enter in S1 trigger a Notion bundled sound? Or must I do something like export to .midi or "send (whole song) to notion" and then carry on?

Thx again!
- Steve
by jpettit on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:01 pm
[email protected] wrote is it possible via ReWire to have midi that I enter in S1 trigger a Notion bundled sound?

Not to my knowledge. They would have to expose the N6 playback engine as a sort of VST instrument or better yet support MIDI I/O through UCNet.
perhaps in the future. :thumbup:

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by rickwoyiwada on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:38 pm
Having now made sure that both Notion 6 and Studio One are linked to the same VST Plug-ins, I can hear the correct instruments when I send an S1 Song to Notion, except for the PreSonus instruments. At first I thought I was missing something, but after reading these posts, it appears that to get the Presonus instruments to sound from Notion I must use Rewire. Am I correct in this.
by johnnewberry on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:53 pm
rickwoyiwada wroteit appears that to get the Presonus instruments to sound from Notion I must use Rewire. Am I correct in this.

That's correct.

At present Notion can send notes by MIDI over ReWire.
However, at this time Notion cannot receive MIDI over ReWire.

,Newberry

by jpettit on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:24 pm
Also to clarify the notes would be written on the N6 side. This is the Rewire confuguration that has been there.

by brennanjohnson1 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:20 am
Anyone know why I can't link Kontakt, Vienna Instruments or Play instruments to the Notion input in Studio One? I can link the Presonus instruments like it outlines in the manual but not any third party ones. I have studio one artist with the add on for the vsts.
by jpettit on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:28 am
What do you mean by the link?
Do you mean play a VST in Studio One via Rewire out from and N6?

by brennanjohnson1 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:32 am
I mean send a Midi Rewire from Notion into Studio One. When I insert Notion Rewire in Studio One and then add Kontakt I don't see the option in the editing window to change the input to Notion. It works if I add a Studio One instrument.
by brennanjohnson1 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:58 am
Nevermind - I got it. I was trying to change it in the wrong place!
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 pm
[email protected] wroteThere's one more thing I'm curious about -- is it possible via ReWire to have midi that I enter in S1 trigger a Notion bundled sound?

Technically, this is not possible, but there is an exception, and it's as strange as it is fascinating and undocumented . . . :reading:

The key to this exception is discovered by observing that when you want to record MIDI input from a MIDI keyboard in NOTION 6, you need to do two things: (a) set the MIDI Input for NOTION 6 to your MIDI keyboard and (b) click on the specific staff in the NOTION 6 project to which you want to record the MIDI notes you play on your MIDI keyboard . . .

The way it works is that you have a MIDI track loaded with MIDI notes and commands in your Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application, and you set it to send its MIDI via a virtual MIDI cable, which in turn is what you set for the MIDI Input in NOTION 6 . . .

Then in your DAW application you create a stereo audio track and set its input to the stereo output of the instrument staff in NOTION 6 . . .

As you can see in the following patently unusual YouTube video example, the DAW application (Digital Performer 9 [MOTU]) is sending MIDI notes and commands to NOTION 6 via a virtual MIDI cable (IAC Driver IAC Bus 1), and this MIDI Input stream to NOTION 6 is playing the native NOTION 6 Piano . . .

In turn, the stereo audio output of the NOTION 6 Piano staff is output to a ReWire channel pair that is used to send audio to a Digital Performer 9 stereo audio track . . .

[NOTE: Even though in this example there is only one staff in the NOTION 6 project, it is selected by clicking on it. The rule is that MIDI Input goes to only one staff, and it's the one which is selected by clicking on it . . . ]

phpBB [video]

THOUGHTS

This should work just as nicely when Studio One 3.3 Professional is the DAW application, and while it's interesting to watch and to know that it's possible, it's actual use in the real world is pretty much nil . . .

Nevertheless, it does suggest strongly that the possibility of playing a virtual festival of native NOTION instruments with MIDI notes and commands sent from a DAW application is greater than one might imagine, since in the world of software engineering, doing something one time is the special case, but doing it two times is the general case . . .

In other words, if you can do it one time on a computer, then with not so much additional work you probably can do it many times . . .

It's strange; it's odd; it's unusual; and it's not documented anywhere other than in this forum and probably only in this post or one of my other posts, but it's on the table here in the sound isolation studio along with a lot of other things NOTION does about which only a handful of folks on this planet know, mostly because they programmed it but soon thereafter were distracted and forgot about it, hence it's there and it works, so all you need to do is a bit of experimenting to discover it, which makes it a bit like a basket of Easter eggs, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by mohsenmousavi1 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:42 pm
When sending note data from S1 to N6, anything above quarter notes seems to transfer correctly. But when trying to send eight notes it appears in notion as quarter notes.
I can not imagine this is a limitation and I am sure somewhere there is a setting but cant figure it out !

Any idea ? Any hint on what it could be ?
by Tmothy on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:44 am
I made a few tests last evening using Studio One with Notion for the first time. I went away with a couple of observations on the process and a few plans to improve my workflow.

I really wish both programs could share 3rd party vst instruments. In other words, If I use UCNET as my transfer route from S1 to N6 I wish there was a common instrument connection to share. As it is, if I set up the Notion instruments I can get a reasonable facsimile of the instruments in S1 using N6 lower quality sounds. Not good enough for my work. In this case, I'm using dual instruments. I must use only the instruments Notion can use when I'm in that program. The two programs are independent in that respect.

Yes I can get around this issue by buying a commonly recognized sample library between S1 and N6, however, I have already invested in other libraries I like and would prefer to use them between programs. Since I mainly wanted an accurate notation representation of the music in S1, this isn't a deal breaker. It does involve a few inconvenient work arounds in order to get the same level of quality I had in S1 with those libs. Basically in order to get the sound of S1 with N6 , I need to export with UCNET and make a screen capture video of the work, then use that video mated to the S1 track. That is, IF my goal is playing video to the notation.

Using rewire is also an option, though I like the ease if using UCNET. Both are a midi send protocol. I had a few issues not using the grand staff, needing to change it to a recognized Presonus sound etc. Nothing too bad there. Just me learning a new program. I prefer to keep bass and alto clef as separate for other musicians to be able to make sense of it all.

I noticed a lack of dynamics represented on the notation. I could likely draw that all in. Would be nice to have it also transmitted possibly as midi velocity.

Overall I suspect this was a good experience as compared to other similar programs. As far as I know, no other program can take midi from a DAW this easily and translate it to notation. I am impressed with what has been done here. Maybe as time goes by improvements will be added. I would especially like to see shared 3rd party vsti.
by Tmothy on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:09 pm
Here is a recent work I did using SO4 and Notion. I admit I still don't know entirely what I'm doing concerning Notion 6. I was able to make a song in SO and export successfully to Notion 6. My biggest mistake here was probably grabbing the screen from my iPad pro instead of the desktop. Oh well, lessons learned. I really liked the ability to use my iPad for small editing jobs on the song. Most of the editing was staff editing. All parts were played in real time and not quantized.

Soundloud link- https://soundcloud.com/starise/naige

YouTube link- https://youtu.be/TW5KqYuyRiU

43 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3