Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
86 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Just thought I'd let everyone know that a demo will be available this upcoming week. There's a post by the dev saying so. I guess the official version is close at hand. I'm ready to test drive this thing!
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:35 pm
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think it will be out for a long time. I bought the crossgrade version in January and am still waiting for a beta that works.

Looking forward to Notion 6 soon!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by alainleblond1 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:08 am
...Notion 6

That would be «great» !

Alain

Mac Pro (early 2009) 5.1
2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, 32 Go
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Notion6, Studio One 3, DP 8,
Finale 2012, Dorico v. 1.0.2
VSL, SE Complete Bundle, Vi Pro, MIRx
Roland A-88 keyboard
by BobF on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:19 am
I'm not sure if Notion 6 would be great or not.

What's been fixed/changed from Notion 5? ;)

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:06 pm
Nothing yet, but hope springs eternal!

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by DaddyO on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:29 am
*** removed by original poster ***

Hobbyist
Windows 10
VSL - VE Pro 7, VI Pro, MIR Pro, MIRx
VSL - VI Symphonic Cube Full, SpecEds 1-4 and PLUS
VSL - SY Strings Pro, SYzd Woodwinds, Solo Strings, SpecEds 1-4 and PLUS
Cubase 9.5, Dorico 3.5
by hansnel1 on Wed May 11, 2016 11:05 am
lloydesorrow wroteIs there only one developer developing this? That's the impression I'm getting.

THAT's the impression I get from PreSonus!

________________________________________________________________________________
Intel i7 3.60GHz , 16Gig DDR3 Ram,2 X SSD's, Roland Duo Capture External Sound Card, 4TB Seagate Super Fast USB 3 External HDD, 64bit OS (Windows 10 Pro), Sibelius 8.3, Notion 5, Notion for iPad, StaffPad, Finale 2011, Encore, Sonar X3, EWQLSO Platinum, EWQL S. Choirs, QL Spaces, NotePerformer & EDIROL Orchestra (plus countless demos and minor notators)
by hansnel1 on Wed May 11, 2016 11:24 am
cesaremagri wroteHas anyone tried this?

http://www.staffpad.net/#features

Cesare

I have...IT'S FANTASTIC! I'm saving up to buy a Surface Pro because Sibelius AND StaffPad is designed specifically for it. StaffPad even supports voice commands! So you talk to it. Notion will also run on the Surface Pro as it is Windows 10.

I am VERY disappointed in PreSonus! I was very impressed with version 5 and the sound engin is great. But the engraving sucks. About the only excellent thing about Notion is it's audio engine. THAT is far ahead of all the other notators I worked with. And updates and upgrades don't happen. It's a pity I have spent all that money to purchase every single sound library Notion offered! I wish I could return Notion 5 and get a refund. After a few attempts to write music in Notion (for sound) and Sibelius (for engraving), I decided time does not allow to do this. The XML import into Sibelius leaves with a LOT of editing. So, now I primarily use Sibelius again. Sibelius is great...it's just it's sound engine the is extremely difficult to grasp, To integrate for instance EWQLSO is one hell of a mission, even if you have a soundset.

I am waiting to see what Steinberg is coming up with, perha[s this year still, but I think I'm hoping to enjoy StaffPad the most. Now THOSE boys know how to program (code)!
Last edited by hansnel1 on Wed May 11, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

________________________________________________________________________________
Intel i7 3.60GHz , 16Gig DDR3 Ram,2 X SSD's, Roland Duo Capture External Sound Card, 4TB Seagate Super Fast USB 3 External HDD, 64bit OS (Windows 10 Pro), Sibelius 8.3, Notion 5, Notion for iPad, StaffPad, Finale 2011, Encore, Sonar X3, EWQLSO Platinum, EWQL S. Choirs, QL Spaces, NotePerformer & EDIROL Orchestra (plus countless demos and minor notators)
by hansnel1 on Wed May 11, 2016 11:37 am
yb.inuit wroteWARNING !!! Overture 5 "beta" simply doesn't work with Mac OS 10.11
Frequent crashes, not complied commands, patches only for Windows.

Nevertheless they SELL that beta version, and do not answer any question posted on their "contact"
It is really a scandal.

Guys, listen to me.

Apple locks many of their useful API's. That makes development for Apple devices extremely difficult. THAT is why one cannot customise the keyboard, desktop etc, like Android for instance. The StaffPad developers are constantly accused for not developing StaffPad for IPad, but StaffPad's developers keep telling Apple users will not get StaffPad due to Apple's inadequacies to create a true StaffPad for it.

Apple Inc. is VERY money hungry, so they want the biggest slice of cake as possible. They will not make as much money if they allow too much access to their OS. So I program for Windows and Android.

by hansnel1 on Wed May 11, 2016 11:55 am
I just worked a bit with Overture 5. I was truly hoping that NOTION would be like THAT! a Notator-DAW hybrid.

I think I shall purchase that one as well. I haven't used Notion 5 for months, so I guess I'll archive it with my Encore and Finale. Then it will be Steinway and I'll own EVERY major Notator! :-)

PreSonus, there is a lot happening globally in the music business, if you snooze, you'll lose.

by alainleblond1 on Wed May 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Mac Pro (early 2009) 5.1
2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, 32 Go
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Notion6, Studio One 3, DP 8,
Finale 2012, Dorico v. 1.0.2
VSL, SE Complete Bundle, Vi Pro, MIRx
Roland A-88 keyboard
by hansnel1 on Thu May 19, 2016 11:01 am
alainleblond1 wroteIts comming...
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/d ... sub=Dorico

Alain

:-)

by Dewdman42 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:34 pm
Overture5 is a great product with some cool features that make it like a notationally aware sequencer. Its engraving skills are adequate and definitely better than Notion, but not as good as Finale/Sibelius/MuseScore/etc/ Notion has a built in sound library and comes pre-wired to handle all the main articulations with that library, something you can setup in Overture with a lot of fuss, but Notion just does it...so I think Notion is easier...and definitely has some advantages in terms of ease of use. However, no question, engraving will be better in Overture and if you use other VST plugins, then Overture will be way easier to deal with also.

5,1 MacPro 3.46ghzx12 128gb ram, OSX 10.14, S1, LogicPro, Cubase10, DP9, Reaper, VEP7, VSL, too many plugins to list
by nilsblomqvist on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:04 am
I recently crossgraded from Overture 5 to Notion 6. I don´t give a toss if Overture has engraver quality. I reccon musicians will play handwritten scores on soggy pieces of papers with breakfast tea stains on, (I have been known to produce such scores..) if the music is "performanceworthy".
Overture is NOT touch enabled. Period.
Sure - you can select symbols from the panes and you can place a note in a system. But when you try to use the menues, thats when you´ll find out that "touch enabled" can mean anything really. Example - you poke a menue with your pen device and - thats it! You cannot choose anything from the drop down list... Upon a question concerning this, the developer answers "I´ll expand the possibilites IF I ever get the time..."
There you go.

I use Staffpad a lot because it´s convinient BUT I miss midi in... I play Yamaha windcontroller and I can plonk melodies and chords on a keyboard.

To me Notion is giving me those possibilities - the handwriting in Notion on a Surface Pro is really good and I have no problems entering notes that way and add some entries with said midicontrollers now and then.
by JohnBW on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:37 pm
Any recent thoughts on this topic?

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by themaartian on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:54 am
I finally uninstalled Overture 5. One big crash fest. I was never able to use it. It kept crashing while scanning plugins. Even the latest v5.51. So I just gave up.

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:55 pm
I gave up on Overture as well. It seemed very promising, but it crashed constantly, was very buggy, has a very confusing UI, and every time I try to work with it it just makes me wish I was using Notion.

I've been wishing and pushing for Notion to have all the features that made Overture appealing. In the meantime, it's still the best notation program for me...

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by craigdukerschein on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:33 pm
I switched to Overture from Notion recently. In my opinion, the keyswitching/UACC control is superior (simpler, better control, more detailed) and, of course, the piano roll style MIDI CC editing abilities are something Notion does not have. They work well in Overture. I get more crashes with Notion than Overture; rare for me with Overture. I run it on Windows 10 PC.

When/if Notion includes Midi CC editing, I will probably switch back but I would also have to consider the limitation with the Notion rule file as well. It could be years or never.
by JohnBW on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:45 pm
From what I can see, each has its advantages, but I would not rule either one out.

As far as a crash fest, I have seen neither one crash. I think that the forums would be on fire if that were a universal problem. When somebody claims something, "crashes all the time" without giving any specifics, I am skeptical. Bashing a product without citing facts reduces the claim to a rant, and it will most likely be assumed to be unreliable.

Sorry to hear that some have had issues, but nobody could use them at all if there was more than an isolated problem with a specific system setup or user workflow.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:49 pm
Just a note, there is an Overture users forum. I'd recommend scanning it, there are lots of posts about crashing.

And there's little likelihood you'll see anything comparing Overture to other programs, as the developer rules it with an iron fist, including deleting posts which are negative or critical.

I'm thankful that Presonus isn't as despotic about these community forums.

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

86 postsPage 4 of 5