Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
86 postsPage 3 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This looks EXCITING!

Someone mentioned a crossgrade price? Is it true?

(EDITED to add: I answered my own question. A simple Google search brings it up.)

Michael:
Does Music XML include MIDI CC data? Not sure, since my previous experience with exporting Music XML from Notion didn't go well at all.

Once you get the chance to work with VSL, let me know how that goes.

If there's a good crossgrade price, I'm in. The user interface looks very useful, if more traditional. The key is, can you with a reasonable amount of effort implement VE Pro as compared to the hijinks you have to go through to make it work in Notion. I have been VERY disappointed at the slow pace of Notion development to facilitate easy work with VE Pro.

Hobbyist
Windows 10
VSL - VE Pro 7, VI Pro, MIR Pro, MIRx
VSL - VI Symphonic Cube Full, SpecEds 1-4 and PLUS
VSL - SY Strings Pro, SYzd Woodwinds, Solo Strings, SpecEds 1-4 and PLUS
Cubase 9.5, Dorico 3.5
by LLIypik on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:23 pm
Maybe I'm just too used to Notion, but UI & ergonomics are awful..
by rubenstubenchlak on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:41 pm
I also love the clean Notion UI, but between looks and ability to draw cc's... Well, I'll take editing.
Not to mention about more notation symbols...
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:02 pm
Update: If you're a Mac user, Overture 5 has serious problems, and apparently serious support issues as well.

I've been waiting since I first bought the beta for a Mac version that works (every time I move my fingers across the mouse in a scroll or swipe gesture the program terminates - a known issue per the forums). Even worse that that, I have had no communication from support after several attempts to find out what's happening.

I'd still like to try the features of Overture 5, but can't. I guess I'll wait for the full release version. Very frustrating!

So kudos to Notion for a program that's fairly stable, and for a support team that's responsive and helpful!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by 60s Pop Man on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:08 pm
Mac user here.
Overture 5 beta is unusable on Mac.
On my old i5 2010 MBP, it crashes soon after loading a file without doing anything but looking at it.
On a loaded i7 Mini, I can actually poke around in an open file before it crashes.

Notion on the other hand is rock solid stable.

M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) / macOS 13.6 / S1 6.5 Pro / Melodyne 5 Editor / Notion 6.8.4 / Faderport 8, Eris 5
by alainleblond1 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:31 am
My wait and hope is Steinberg's project of a music notation software.

http://blog.steinberg.net/

This is a «solid» thing to wait for !

Best

Alain

Mac Pro (early 2009) 5.1
2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, 32 Go
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Notion6, Studio One 3, DP 8,
Finale 2012, Dorico v. 1.0.2
VSL, SE Complete Bundle, Vi Pro, MIRx
Roland A-88 keyboard
by jasonstone1 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:21 pm
alainleblond1 wroteMy wait and hope is Steinberg's project of a music notation software

I'd be a little more excited about that one if it hadn't been in development for so long. It's been at least three years at this point.
by lloydesorrow on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:42 pm
jasonstone1 wrote
alainleblond1 wroteMy wait and hope is Steinberg's project of a music notation software

I'd be a little more excited about that one if it hadn't been in development for so long. It's been at least three years at this point.

Yes, it has been a while but they are building it from the ground up. No small feat, I would imagine. Maybe we'll see something solid by the end of this year. It's always nice to have more options. I wonder how much of Steinberg will seep into the program though (paid updates etc.).
by yb.inuit on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:51 am
WARNING !!! Overture 5 "beta" simply doesn't work with Mac OS 10.11
Frequent crashes, not complied commands, patches only for Windows.

Nevertheless they SELL that beta version, and do not answer any question posted on their "contact"
It is really a scandal.
by DaddyO on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:48 am
Yeah, what looked on the forum like an imminent release has turned into crickets. I bought a crossgrade. I might have squandered my money.

Hobbyist
Windows 10
VSL - VE Pro 7, VI Pro, MIR Pro, MIRx
VSL - VI Symphonic Cube Full, SpecEds 1-4 and PLUS
VSL - SY Strings Pro, SYzd Woodwinds, Solo Strings, SpecEds 1-4 and PLUS
Cubase 9.5, Dorico 3.5
by adrianosica on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:25 am
yb.inuit wroteWARNING !!! Overture 5 "beta" simply doesn't work with Mac OS 10.11
Frequent crashes, not complied commands, patches only for Windows.

Nevertheless they SELL that beta version, and do not answer any question posted on their "contact"
It is really a scandal.

I thought, beta versions are used with a select few user for finding bugs and report them to the developer then, post a release candidate for purchase. No?

Or release a beta with a 15-30 day limit free, then after a release candidate is ready, the user will need to purchase and redownload. Sounds like bad business to me.
by rehaartan on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:25 am
Assuming absence of ill-will, it seems selling products that just fail to deliver and apparently being unable to make good on them due to insufficient revenues is becoming epidemic. Law of falling rates of profit?

Finale 2014.5, GPO5, Notion 5, Miroslav Philharmonik1, VSL SE1, W 10, i7, 8 GB
by cesaremagri on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:04 pm
The Mac version of Overture is a true disaster. The program does not even recognize the authorization code!!! And the demo crashes after a few seconds.

I am sticking to Notion.

Cesare
by Dewdman42 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:33 pm
I think Overture will be nice once all the bugs are worked out. I view it as more of a hybrid between a traditional DAW sequencer and notation, but capable of printing out very pro scores, even better then Notion as far as that goes..

Keep in mind that as of now, the mac version (maybe the PC version?) was released officially as "beta" and only because devoted Overture users were begging and begging for it. So the author finally caved in and allowed people to buy it early.

I agree though, its a one man coding genius behind it and while he is extremely good at that he does....its just one man and a fairly deep product. So updates, upgrades, changes, fixes, etc...are always a slow process, particularly on the mac side it would seem. Overture started out PC only.

In any case, unless you really want to be on the bleeding edge, I recommend you wait on Overture5. But once the bugs are worked out, I have no doubt it will be an extremely capable and great product...particularly if you care about midi performance playback

5,1 MacPro 3.46ghzx12 128gb ram, OSX 10.14, S1, LogicPro, Cubase10, DP9, Reaper, VEP7, VSL, too many plugins to list
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 pm
I'd be thrilled with a means of editing note lengths in Notion that really worked. After clicking 20 or 30 times on a note, moving it up and down the staff, zooming in and out, and finally giving up, I get so frustrated!!!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by cesaremagri on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:16 am
But what is with Notion, is it just dying? Where is the integration with Studio One?
I use it so extensively and mainly because of its immediacy. I cannot imagine giving it up right now. But still, it feels old.
Regards,
Cesare
by alainleblond1 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:59 pm
Take time to read !

http://blog.steinberg.net/
DEVELOPMENT DIARY, PART 13

My wait and hope is Steinberg's project of a music notation software.
This is a «solid» thing to wait for !

Best

Alain

Mac Pro (early 2009) 5.1

Roland A-88 keyboard
by adrianosica on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:20 pm
Hello fellow musicians!
Has any of you ever heard of Notability Pro?
I've seen it before on Macupdate for about $2xx.00, but as of today (new version), it's being released as free. Looks like it's for Mac only(?)
by alainleblond1 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:10 pm
Yes !
Hmmmm....
This is a old thing...

I think that Musescore may offer you the same thing or better,
and Musescore is in constant evolution and up to date.

...very close to both Finale and Sibelius ! for free....

Use in conjunction with «Jack» you can use AU and VST instrument.

So,
...at least, take time and have a look on the last version.
Its worth...

Alain

Mac Pro (early 2009) 5.1

Roland A-88 keyboard
by Funkybot on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:28 am
The Steinberg features/implementation seem impressive and well thought out so far. It's clear from the blog posts that it's not abandoned and they're going for something big. Very cool indeed.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments

86 postsPage 3 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5