Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
86 postsPage 2 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
I buy upgrade when it was released. After 3 patches it is now "usable" (for PC). In my opinion, it is not beta. It is alpha, because creator write, there are some features not implemented. Beta means when everything is done for testing if everything is working, and finding bugs.

Pros and temporarily cons
1. many Midi ports as you wish (if you have midi cables)
2. you can assign own rules to any midi port (it is not working now)
3. Dynamics - crescendo decrescendo curves (have bugs now and not sure if it is implemented well)
4. 8 voices for staff and working with voices is the better then Sib, Notion and Finale (expect midi, now you can not edit midi CC for selected voice, this was default in Ov4)
5. With linear view and score formating you have nicer and better organised score as Notion when you are working with large orchestra.
6. Writing and edit midi data on score (it have some disadvantages like you can not set up resolution of midi CC, but i hope in future it will be better)

If it will be finished, it will be very good program.

What I didn't get is if Overture has anything like the rules Notion has to work more easily with 3rd party libs. And I miss any mentioning of scripting support for hackers like me.

You can script own rule, but there is no documentation for it. I create my rule for midi in old Ov4. In future is plan to create some rule editor.

PreSonus software : Studio One 6 Pro, Notion 3
PreSonus hardware: Studio 24c
Other hw: midi keyboard Novation LAUNCHKEY61
PC: Win11, i7-12700K, 32 gb ram, Nvidia RTX, HDD : 1TB SSD WD, 2TB WD
by Funkybot on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:57 pm
I'm going to hold firm to my rule of not buying software blindly, so I'm going to wait for the official release and demo, but so far everything I've heard from you guys sounds promising.

Thanks to everyone who has posted their impressions so far.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by lloydesorrow on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:32 pm
Is there only one developer developing this? That's the impression I'm getting.
by rubenstubenchlak on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:17 pm
Mixed feelings, starting already to mourn Notion...
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:24 pm
wcreed wroteYes, there are XML files that are equivalent to Notions Rules, though they don't have flags, test conditions, etc

Bill, where are you finding those?

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by kipcrawford on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:58 pm

I'm not ready to shed any tears just yet :cry: . Granted, Overture looks sweet. Does things I wish Notion could do, however...it's not done "cooking". I would rather wait for the finished product; that way we can get a better comprehensive view :reading: of what it really entails. And who knows...perhaps PreSonus will announce Notion 6 that'll blow our socks off. :?: Just saying....

Overture does look good though.... :D
by lloydesorrow on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:51 am
kipcrawford wrote

I'm not ready to shed any tears just yet :cry: . Granted, Overture looks sweet. Does things I wish Notion could do, however...it's not done "cooking". I would rather wait for the finished product; that way we can get a better comprehensive view :reading: of what it really entails. And who knows...perhaps PreSonus will announce Notion 6 that'll blow our socks off. :?: Just saying....

Overture does look good though.... :D

I'm not holding my breath for that one. I wouldn't expect another major upgrade of Notion until at least sometime next year, if even then. Maybe it will be around the time on the 3.5 Studio One upgrade. Or maybe alongside v4 of Studio One (which I expect will be a bit of a wait). The development of Notion has always been a bit slow and it still seems to be that way.
by Funkybot on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:33 am
lloydesorrow wroteIs there only one developer developing this? That's the impression I'm getting.

For me, it doesn't matter whether there's one developer or ten, it's about the product. Does it do what says? Is it stable? Is it supported? Sometimes more developers can be better, other times it can create problems. For instance, I've seen developers re-code entire bits of working functionality in order to make small modifications because they couldn't understand how or why someone coded something a particular way.

Notion appears to have a full team of developers, but progress has felt slow since I bought my first Notion license in 2011 (still no sustain pedal support, cross-staff beaming only added recently, extremely limited engraving options, VST support and overall workflow still clunky, etc.). If Overture 5 can prove to be a more mature option once it's out of beta, I'll switch over. If I were the Notion team, I'd be very interested in checking Overture out in order to see what it's strengths are compared to Notion. Then I'd be thinking long and hard about how to do it even better in the next major Notion update.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by kipcrawford on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:46 pm
The development of Notion has always been a bit slow and it still seems to be that way.

I have to agree with you there. So far Notion is doing what I need it to do. Their shortcomings can be a hassle at times. Not really holding my breath on a better innovative Notion version, but never hurts to hope.
by Dewdman42 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:11 pm
I own both programs and owned previous versions of both programs. They both have strengths and weaknesses. The main advantage of Notion in my mind is the sheer simplicity of it. Its extremely simple to enter music in Notion. Also, all notational engraving issues are automatic, with very little override capability. That can be good or bad, but definitely its easy and simple. Also Notion's sound library is great with many tightly bound performance articulations, etc. so that what you write is what you hear...this is actually kind of a big deal.

Overture on the other hand is way ahead of Notion in terms of advanced notation and being able to tweak the score however you want, as you would with Sibelius or Finale, for example. it has many more notation features then Notion in general. Also it has much more powerful sequencing engine. The new Overture I view as much of a midi sequencer that happens to show a notation view and prints out very high quality scores, better then any DAW on the market by far and in many cases right on par with Finale and Sibelius.

Overture is the brain child and effort of a single talented developer, so development is slow. Very slow. But its a very good product in my opinion. So is Notion. If you are already a notion user, I don't see a reason to jump ship unless you either need A) better printed scores or B) better sequence editing to fine tune the performance like a normal midi sequencer, rather then relying on rulesets to get the performance you want.

5,1 MacPro 3.46ghzx12 128gb ram, OSX 10.14, S1, LogicPro, Cubase10, DP9, Reaper, VEP7, VSL, too many plugins to list
by lloydesorrow on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 am
Thanks for your insight, Steve. :)
by thomasbaxter on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:17 am
"The main advantage of Notion in my mind is the sheer simplicity of it."

Exactly on point. I'd like to see what Overture is doing now with MIDI sequencing. But if it's the same note-entry system Overture had when I used it a few years ago, it doesn't compete with Notion. I'm surprised the discussion about the new product is silent on this point.
by Funkybot on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:59 pm
thomasbaxter wrote"The main advantage of Notion in my mind is the sheer simplicity of it."

Exactly on point. I'd like to see what Overture is doing now with MIDI sequencing. But if it's the same note-entry system Overture had when I used it a few years ago, it doesn't compete with Notion. I'm surprised the discussion about the new product is silent on this point.

Can you elaborate on what's so bad about note entry compared to Notion? I'll be honest, I don't think Notion is great in this regard either.

by thomasbaxter on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:19 pm
I suppose everybody's different, but for me it's vastly simpler and faster to type "q" and write a quarter note, compared with selecting a quarter note symbol from a list. It's like the difference between typing and writing messages with emoticons.
:D
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:34 pm
thomasbaxter wroteI suppose everybody's different, but for me it's vastly simpler and faster to type "q" and write a quarter note, compared with selecting a quarter note symbol from a list. It's like the difference between typing and writing messages with emoticons.
:D

There are keyboard shortcuts in Overture. The default is '4' for a quarter note, '2' for a half note, etc. The key commands are also mappable.

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by cesaremagri on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:42 pm
I have tried out Overture and am not overly impressed at the moment. Basically, I have never managed to get the program running for more than 35 seconds without it crashing. I guess I need to wait for a future release to be able to say something more.

Cesare
by cesaremagri on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:53 pm
Has anyone tried this?

http://www.staffpad.net/#features

Cesare
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:09 pm
cesaremagri wroteI have tried out Overture and am not overly impressed at the moment. Basically, I have never managed to get the program running for more than 35 seconds without it crashing. I guess I need to wait for a future release to be able to say something more.

Cesare

There's a bug in the Beta version if you're trying to use it with a Mac. I bought it, but I'm waiting as well to really try it when they get that fixed.

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by claudiorosati on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:20 am
What about sounds?

Notion comes with beautiful ready to use songs and a big selection of sound extension (not to speak about the presets to use Vienna, Personal Orchestra, ...).

Is there a good orchestra set? there are presets to use Vienna, Personal Orchestra, EWL Orchestra, or similar?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Claudio
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:43 pm
claudiorosati wroteWhat about sounds?

Notion comes with beautiful ready to use songs and a big selection of sound extension (not to speak about the presets to use Vienna, Personal Orchestra, ...).

Is there a good orchestra set? there are presets to use Vienna, Personal Orchestra, EWL Orchestra, or similar?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Claudio

Claudio, there are some presets for VSL, I can't say how complete they are for different libraries, instruments or different articulations. The bundled sounds are pretty good, IMHO.

My frustration with them right now is that they can't seem to get a Mac version that works, and customer support is almost non-existent. I've always appreciated the responsiveness of Brian and the team at Notion Customer Support.

Michael

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer