Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
25 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Making good progress now, but I can't figure out how to add title, composer, copyright date, etc. I should point out that I am working with an imported midi file. I have looked around but can't seem to find any relevant threads. Any suggestions?

Michael Diemer
I-7, 16 GB RAM, WD Black HHD's, 1TB (2); Windows 7 Pro, UR-22 interface, Reaper, M-Audio BX5a monitor/Mackie sub, Sonar 8.5.3, GPO4, EWSO Gold, Vienna Sp. Ed. 1, Cinematic Strings
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:57 pm
Score>Add Title, Header, Footer...

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:29 am
I did give that a try but still couldn't get it. I'll give it another whirl; was very tired last night!

Michael Diemer
I-7, 16 GB RAM, WD Black HHD's, 1TB (2); Windows 7 Pro, UR-22 interface, Reaper, M-Audio BX5a monitor/Mackie sub, Sonar 8.5.3, GPO4, EWSO Gold, Vienna Sp. Ed. 1, Cinematic Strings
by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:06 pm
Forgive my stupidity, but I did this: Score/Add Title etc; then in the dialogue box I clicked "Title" and "First Page Only" and then click "Add" and... nothing happens. No box to put text in comes up; no apparent way to enter text anywhere. Also, there is no "representation of a page" in the window on the right of the dialogue box.
Last edited by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Diemer
by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:12 pm
OK, just figured out that you then have to enter Score Setup. The manual instructions do not tell you to do this - should be fixed. So now I do see "Title" at the top of the page, but nothing happens when I double-click on it per manual. The mode I am in here is the one where you see the gear, red X and green eye on the left. No way to change "Text." Could this be due to the fact that this is an imported project, and these instructions only work with one you create new?
Last edited by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Diemer
by -Luis- on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 pm
If you double click on "Title" "Composer" "Date" or "Copyright" you can modify the text in those areas.
by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:21 pm
Nope, not happening. Double clicking does nothing. Let me summarize the situation:

I am trying to add Title etc to an IMPORTED score. I go to Score/Add Title etc. I get a dialogue box, which has as default "Title", "First Page Only" and "Both." I click Add. The box goes away. But if I then go into Score Setup, I do see TITLE, way over on the left. But nothing happens when I double click on it. That's where I'm at. If I could edit that text and move it, I'd be home free.
Last edited by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Diemer
by -Luis- on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 pm
You do this in the main window, not in the Score Setup window.
by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:33 pm
Luis, if by Main Window you mean the page that opens when you open your project, then see above, where I describe my efforts to deal with the dialogue box, and what happens when I do. No page representation on the right, no place to type text, and the box just goes away when I click add. Again, could this be due to it being an imported project?

Michael Diemer
by -Luis- on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:10 pm
I'm no expert at Notion, so if what I said it's not accurate I apologize.
I imported a MIDI file into Notion and I couldn't see any text, (Title/Date) so I did change the view from Continuous to Pages Down and all those fields are there just not visible in Continuous view, then I just added more fields to the score with the Add Title,Header,Footer option.

Hope that helps,if not one of the experts here will give you the right answer.

Cheers.
by michaeldiemer1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:25 pm
Yep, that did it! Thanks Luis, you've been a big help. I'm a total newbie here so I've just been fiddling around in the dark. I really appreciate your help.

Michael Diemer
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:55 pm
michaeldiemer1 wroteOK, just figured out that you then have to enter Score Setup. The manual instructions do not tell you to do this - should be fixed. So now I do see "Title" at the top of the page, but nothing happens when I double-click on it per manual. The mode I am in here is the one where you see the gear, red X and green eye on the left. No way to change "Text." Could this be due to the fact that this is an imported project, and these instructions only work with one you create new?

Text fields can't be edited in Score Setup. These have to be added and edited in regular editing mode. As Luis noted, they can't be seen in continuous view, only in page down or across mode.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by tomjirak on Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:48 pm
Help! I have Notion 6 and have completed scoring a piece. I have double-clicked on the title and composer fields and added my text. But the words "Title" and "Composer" are written over my own title and credits. How do I get rid of the unwanted text?
by johncaruso6 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:15 pm
I am having the same trouble. I type my title and my name in the box and the worlds title and composer remain. It must be a bug in their software. I just purchased this before New Years and have not been able to type my title in the score. I've given up presently. I'm having other issues I want to see I can address in the forum. It does not bode well for this program (touted as the best online by some). It is supposed to automatically push notes into the next measure when you've reached the preset number of beats. IT DOES NOT. It puts in a rest you don't want if you have too few beats, but it allows way more than 4 beats per measure and does not regulate itself at all. That' is so basic to being able to compose a piece with ease and speed that fixing all these measures manually would make it almost unusable. And I am working on a song and realized only about two minutes of music into it, that I only have been given 33 measures in this score and now have to stop my composing to find out why this is. That is just nonsensical. I truly want to unload a line of curse words at this program and it's programmers today because I have two major problems that have stopped me in my tracks on Sunday, one of the few days of the week I have time to work on music.
by tomjirak on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:38 pm
Yes, I purchased this because I thought it would integrate well with Studio One. I'd like to have the written parts and their sampled voices transfer into a Studio One song. Just started trying that, and it hasn't gone well yet. And I'd like to assign samples to parts...vocal lines seem locked to a piano sample, for example. If there's a solution to these problems it's eluded me.

I have been entering notes manually and it's tedious, especially having to move extra notes to the next measure and so forth. Good luck finding a fix for that (post it if you do!).

And adding dynamic hairpins screws with the staff spacing; you can't just put them where you want them. And the dynamics I add to the score don't dependably get incorporated into the audio playback.

At this point, my impression is that it is a decent notation program, but not nearly as robust and trouble-free as I'd hoped, for the money. There are many bugs that don't seem to have a fix. And the online manual doesn't cover ordinary situations that I encountered on my first chart, which has really added to the learning curve.
by cheriegullerud on Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 am
johncaruso6 wroteAnd I am working on a song and realized only about two minutes of music into it, that I only have been given 33 measures in this score and now have to stop my composing to find out why this is. That is just nonsensical. I truly want to unload a line of curse words at this program and it's programmers today because I have two major problems that have stopped me in my tracks on Sunday, one of the few days of the week I have time to work on music.

This is my first time using NOTION, and I was frustrated by the same thing for creating a lead sheet. I went to the manuscript items at the bottom of the page and highlighted a bar line and added a bunch of bars to the score to solve that problem. I don't know if this will help with a more intricate composition where you have multiple cleffs.
by Surf.Whammy on Sat May 08, 2021 1:33 pm
Like pretty much all elegant and sophisticated computer programs, Studio One Professional and NOTION probably are not going to work exactly the way you think they should work, but so what . . . :reading:

THOUGHTS

Consider this from the perspective of intuitiveness . . . :roll:

Icons like stop signs, no parking signs, and so forth are the epitome of intuitiveness, but they require at least one exposure to become intuitive, where you might not know how to interpret or to understand a stop sign, but once you realize the information it conveys, then you get it from that point forward . . .

If you have never used ReWire and have no idea what it enables or how it works, then it's not going to be intuitive, at all . . .

Yet with some reading, experimenting, and learning it begins to make sense, and then there you are . . .

This applies equally to ReWire MIDI staves in NOTION and hosting VSTi virtual instruments in Studio One Professional that are played by the music notation on ReWire MIDI staves in a NOTION score, where the hosting and connectivity aspects are explained in this YouTube video that I made several months ago:

phpBB [video]

This YouTube video shows how to send audio from NOTION to Studio One Professional in a ReWire session where Studio One Professional is the ReWire controller and NOTION is the ReWire helper device:

phpBB [video]

This YouTube video shows how to create a Basic Rhythm Section in a ReWire session where Studio One Professional is the ReWire host controller and NOTION is the ReWire helper device:

phpBB [video]

If you have never done this, then it will be a complete and total mystery; but with a bit of studying and experimenting, it will become intuitive and iconic after a while . . .

Project: ReWire ~ NOTION + Studio One Professional (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

ARTICULATIONS, PLAYING STYLES, DYNAMICS

You will observe that I do not specify articulations, playing styles, dynamics, and other commands and embellishments in the music notation in NOTION; and the reason is that I do these things a different way, which in my option overall is vastly less visually cluttered and wastes considerably less time . . .

There are other ways to do this; and the more traditional strategy is to use the various music notation symbols and words, which can be enhanced by creating custom rules; but this is not the way I do it . . .

[NOTE: Doing the music notation the more traditional way is good, and it's not really a complete and total waste of time. Delving into custom rules is a useful activity in the traditional way of doing everything, and it also is good. Folks who use NOTION to produce sheet music do it this way, and it's good for them and their needs. In contrast, I use NOTION to play VSTi virtual instruments, hence do not need to produce sheet music for human players. This works for me, and it's the strategy I use. Studio One Professional and NOTION are flexible and inviting in this regard. Like most musicians, I have my set of likes and dislikes--some of which might appear to be a bit peculiar or eccentric. Your set of likes and dislikes might be strange for me, but so what. The high-level perspective is that the strategies that work for you are good for you; and it's not my role to tell you what to do or what works best . . . ]

The primary logic in my strategy is that sampled sound libraries usually are created by recording formally-trained and proficient musicians playing notes on real instruments in various articulations, playing styles, dynamics, and so forth, These recorded samples then are digitized and used to make a sampled sound library; hence the most realistic notes are the ones in the sampled sound library, more so when it is a chromatically sampled library where each note is sampled rather than only every other note . . .

Chromatically sampled libraries cost more and have larger storage requirements, but they are the most realistic . . .

If I want a Solo Violin bowed and played legato, then this is the specific set of sampled notes I select; and I assign it to its own ReWire MIDI or VSTi virtual instrument staff in NOTION, where in the ReWire MIDI flavor, the sounds for the instrument are hosted in Studio One Professional, but in the VSTi virtual instrument flavor, the sounds for the instrument are hosted in NOTION and NOTION sends the generated audio to Studio One Professional via one or more stereo audio channels which are received by Audio Tracks in Studio One Professional . . .

You also will observe that I do nearly everything on soprano treble staves in NOTION, which I do because I learned music notation when I was in a liturgical boys choir, and it is the only clef that for me is intuitive . . .

In NOTION Score Setup, you can specify transposition for specific staves, and for example when it's a staff for Electric Bass, I set the transposition to "Two octaves Lower" than notated, which means that "Middle C" as notated will be played two octaves lower, hence for the most part all the music looks like its for soprano treble staves . . .

Here in the sound studio, I consider octaves and various types of transposing staves to be busy work, the same as specifying articulations, playing styles, dynamics, and so forth; and I don't waste time on that stuff . . .

What about dynamics?

NOTION sends MIDI information to VSTi virtual instrument engines to tell the engines (Kontakt 5, SampleTank, EW Play, and so forth) the volume level NOTION desires; and what actually happens is that dynamics done this way are mapped to MIDI volume numbers that range from 0 to 127 . . .

The result is that pianissimo is mapped to one integer value while forte is mapped to a higher integer value, but both of these values in the range of 0 to 127 . . .

Connect a few dots, and you will realize that done this way, all that happens is the virtual volume slider is set downward or upward, which has nothing to do with the way the instrument was played by the human musician . . .

Overall, this makes dynamic marks a bit of a joke . . . :shock:

If you want true dynamics, then the only way to do this naturally is to select a specific set of sampled sounds where the real instrument was played in the desired dynamic by the real musician . . .

You can emulate dynamics via VST effects plug-ins, primarily compressor limiters and equalizers, which is the way I do it more of the time, where here in the sound isolation studio the rule is that if it cannot be heard, then it's noise and does not need to be included in the mix . . .

More specifically, I control dynamics by various VST effect plug-ins like compressor-limiters, brickwall limiters, "ducking" compressors, and so forth . . .

And I make an effort to keep all the volume sliders on the Studio One Professional Mixing Board pegged at 0 dB, because it's less visually cluttered . . .

When I need to adjust the volume level for an instrument, I do it with a VST effects plug-in; and this makes it easier to be very precise when mixing . . .

SUMMARY

None of this stuff will make any sense at first, because it's not intuitive and iconic; but when you do a bit of studying and experimenting it makes sense; and once it makes sense, you have a very deep and rich set of digital music production software, virtual instruments, and sampled sound libraries that make it possible for you to create songs and corresponding audio by yourself, which is simply amazing . . .

As you learn more about this, you will begin expanding your digital music production universe with VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins; and then you have more instruments for different genres and sounds and effects for doing audio engineering . . .

Mozart could not do this, and for the most part nobody on this planet could do this unti a few decades ago, with this becoming ubiquitous and affordable in the past two decades, but in an elaborate sense in the past five or so years as personal computing technologies and software applications for digital music production advanced . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. Then you can write Simple, Stupid, and occasionally Silly songs about flying saucers, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: As with every YouTube music and "How to . . . " video I post, this is best enjoyed when listening with studio-quality headphones like SONY MDR-7506 headphones (a personal favorite). Calibrated full-range studio monitors are necessary for producing and audio engineering; but to hear the most intimate detail, you need to listen with studio-quality headphones . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Project: Simple and Stupid (PreSonus Notion Forum)

Fabulous! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by thomasscurlock on Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:01 am
This dialog seems to have gone off the rails. Two people reported a bug where after entering the title for a score, the default text "Title" is not replaced but superimposed over whatever text was entered. I'm having the same problem. Is there a fix for this?

I'm running the most recent version of Notion on macOS Monterey v. 12.1
by davidlarson6 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:53 am
It's not actually a bug. It's just that the method of entering text isn't what you're expecting.

Just double-click (highlight) the text you want to change in the score, and type it in.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by acequantum on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:25 pm
Could be a Mac thing as it has functioned without problems on Windows.

Again the easiest way is to double click in the box like davidlarson6 wrote.

I was able to recreate the overlap by "accidentally on purpose" creating two Title boxes in the same place. This may be the problem because when they are superimposed, it looks like one box - you can't tell the two boxes are there until you drag one down. After dragging one away, you can select it or the other and then press the delete key to remove the extra. There may be several in one spot depending on how many times one went to the menu and chose Add Title etc.

Notion double title 1.JPG

Notion double title 2.JPG

25 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2