Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
34 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Hi Michael,

No, I don't use OCR. I enter all notes either by playing them in (Cmd.-E) or by mouse clicks, one by one. Two reasons: Like you, I find that there's too much cleanup and proofreading involved with OCR, and since I often choose a piece I don't know, I miss an opportunity to familiarize myself with the work (its structure, orchestration, compositional technique, etc.) if I enter it by "remote control." When I use Notion for my salaried work, I often import XML from Finale or Sibelius and take it from there — but that's not what I posted to this thread.

I am happy to share Notion files. All I need is an email address. Just send me a PM.

This is my profession. I am a music editor and arranger, and I have been making these scores in my spare time, because they help me learn how best to use Notion in my real work. It may seem like a lot of stuff, but there is actually a huge amount of Notion work that I can't share here for copyright reasons — the music that I actually work with.

Thanks again for your nice words. I don't fool myself: First of all, this is classical music (oops, 9 out of 10 people just left the room!), second, it is an electronic simulation that, although it is so much more realistic than just a few years ago, still can't hold a candle to live performance. Has anyone ever been emotionally gripped by sample playback? Well, at least I can safely say that I have never cried at a Notion "performance." Maybe that will be next year's version? :D It's a wonderful program, though. I like to be able to play around with tempos and other aspects of works I know from recordings or performance experience; and I especially like the ability to study pieces I don't yet know. Right now, I am toying with a strange and exciting orchestra piece by Henry F Gilbert called "Dance in Place Congo." Were it not for Notion, I would never have known about it!

Best,
Thorrild

27" iMac 2016; OS 10.12.6
13" MacBook Pro 2017 OS 10.12.6
by rubenstubenchlak on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:43 am
Thorrild,

manny thank's to share this with us!
All the best,

Rubens.
by diegourena on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:00 pm
Hi everyone. I randomly ran across this post and thought I'd post something using all of notions instruments. I wrote this based off a system called the Table of Transitions. This is Study no.4 in D. Starts in D minor then transitions to different keys and returns back to D.

I'd like to know what you guys think! Just finished it today!

https://soundcloud.com/thediegmyster/st ... -d/s-RICAw
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:41 am
Here's my hat thrown into the ring...

phpBB [audio]

Now I'll record this same piece with VSL and see how it sounds.

Michael

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:44 am
diegourena wroteHi everyone. I randomly ran across this post and thought I'd post something using all of notions instruments. I wrote this based off a system called the Table of Transitions. This is Study no.4 in D. Starts in D minor then transitions to different keys and returns back to D.

Very impressive, Diego! I like the movement, color and drama.

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by diegourena on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:36 pm
michaelmyers1 wrote
diegourena wroteHi everyone. I randomly ran across this post and thought I'd post something using all of notions instruments. I wrote this based off a system called the Table of Transitions. This is Study no.4 in D. Starts in D minor then transitions to different keys and returns back to D.

Very impressive, Diego! I like the movement, color and drama.

Thanks! I'm currently working on Study no.1 in G using the table of transitions. I'll post that when I'm finished. Using the EWQL symphonic orchestra so it will be challenging to see if I can get it to sound any better thank notions samples.
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:27 pm
diegourena wrote
Thanks! I'm currently working on Study no.1 in G using the table of transitions.

Can you share more information about this table of transitions? Is there a web site somewhere?

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by diegourena on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:25 am
michaelmyers1 wrote
diegourena wrote
Thanks! I'm currently working on Study no.1 in G using the table of transitions.

Can you share more information about this table of transitions? Is there a web site somewhere?

The Table of Transitions is an analytical way of writing or composing. The system contains 4 tables. Within the Tables are found natural laws of movement and methods allowing the composer to return to the original key or to a different key all together. "Studies" are not necessarily songs or compositions but are systematically crafted exercises proving the Table of Transitions. This system turns a composers palette into a complex color grid allowing him to choose colors he never knew were there. Unfortunately there is not, at this time, a website where you will find information about the Table of Transitions nor will you find a published version of the tables anywhere online. I am the one responsible for these tables and there is much revising to be done; not on the tables themselves but on the language portion. My goal is to work on explaining the theories and concepts in a way that is teachable and understandable. The website below will be up and running soon.

www.academyoftheory.com
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:20 pm
diegourena wrote
michaelmyers1 wrote
diegourena wrote

The Table of Transitions is an analytical way of writing or composing. The system contains 4 tables. Within the Tables are found natural laws of movement and methods allowing the composer to return to the original key or to a different key all together. "Studies" are not necessarily songs or compositions but are systematically crafted exercises proving the Table of Transitions. This system turns a composers palette into a complex color grid allowing him to choose colors he never knew were there. Unfortunately there is not, at this time, a website where you will find information about the Table of Transitions nor will you find a published version of the tables anywhere online. I am the one responsible for these tables and there is much revising to be done; not on the tables themselves but on the language portion. My goal is to work on explaining the theories and concepts in a way that is teachable and understandable. The website below will be up and running soon.

http://www.academyoftheory.com

Interesting. Keep us posted.

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by thorrild on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:16 pm
I just added another little project to SoundCloud: Berlioz's "March au Supplice" from his Symphonie Fantastique, using only Notion's own samples.

Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/tamscloud/berlio ... u-supplice

Best,
Thorrild

by diegourena on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:26 pm
https://soundcloud.com/thediegmyster/03 ... em/s-DY4zi

Study no. 3 in Em Using the Table of Transitions. Using the method of circular development which takes advantage of a notes potential allowing a composer to develop modal harmony around it. Check it out. I'd like to know what you think. And if your still interested in the tables. I'm currently trying to develop a method of teaching the tables. The site is close to being live. I'll keep you posted.
by thorrild on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:20 am
Another movement from Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique: The second, "Un Bal," using only Notion's own sound set.

The link:
https://soundcloud.com/tamscloud/berlioz-un-bal

Best,
Thorrild

by elerouxx on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:42 pm
This might be an interesting comparison.

Vals, a little piece I wrote. I recorded it using Notion's violin, without any midi edition other than playing what is written. Two years later, it was played live with dancers.

So it might be a good opportunity to compare the two versions.

Note that I didn't care for a perfect performing in Notion - to me, it's only a mock-up of the music. However, it's very useful to have an accurate and nice mock-up, and this doesn't happen in any other notation software I've tried. Specially Finale

If I wanted a more accurate version, I'd rather use Miroslav or a higher quality library and do some editing in Notion. If I really wanted to fool anyone into believing it was a real violin, I'd rather use a RAW but I don't want to.

Also, take into account that string instruments are almost as versatile as human voice, thus they are almost as difficult to mimic in electronic libraries -

That said, I think Notion string solo instruments are up to their purposes, and they surprise sometimes.

Here's the MP3 file from Notion:
vals.mp3
(4.73 MiB) Downloaded 373 times

And a video with the live performance:
phpBB [video]

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
Win 10 i7 Desktop / Win 8.1 % Win 10 Surface Pro // Notion 6.3.454 64 bit
by elerouxx on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:46 pm
Another solo instrument comparison: Mar Revolto, for Solo clarinet.

MP3 from Notion
mar revolto - estudo para clarinete solo.mp3
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 336 times

And later live performance by Pedro Robatto
phpBB [video]

Personally I think Notion's clarinet is one of the best and more detailed instruments on the library. It's hard to compare to a live performance tho - the performer played much faster and more rubato.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
Win 10 i7 Desktop / Win 8.1 % Win 10 Surface Pro // Notion 6.3.454 64 bit

34 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2