Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
17 posts
Page 1 of 1
I dream of Notion being able to make feathered beams. And maybe importing some SVG, PNG or whatever graphics to place on the score. And custom noteheads (and this includes NO notehead at all).

That's about all I need to finally abandon Finale or Sibelius. But it's a dream.

I was almost asleep already. Then I suddendly jumped out of the bed and ran to the computer... What if... ?

And I came up with this in Notion 5.

feathered800.png

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
Win 10 i7 Desktop / Win 8.1 % Win 10 Surface Pro // Notion 6.3.454 64 bit
by aouameurfarid on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 am
Hi :D
But How did you get There ? :)
Reality or still dream ???
Thanks
by aouameurfarid on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:55 am
Émilio,
By the way this my first message on this forum.
Im notion customer since three years and passionate about stylus interfacing with notion.
I would like to thank you for the work you've done with strokeplus (that i discovered last year). Since, i purchased wacom Cintiq and work with a mixed system inspired by your work and it works like a charm !!!

I Will post something about my system as soon as possible.
(Since yesterday, i also have the surface pro 3 and staffpad wich is amazing and that i use in conjonction with notion. Thanks to XML :)

See u soon all :)

Farid Aouameur
Composer, orchestrator and conductor.
by elerouxx on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 am
aouameurfarid wroteHi :D
Thanks

It was made in Notion!
It is possible!

I'll give you some details later but I'm on a deadline right now.

I leave it as a puzzle to fellow Notion users! I challenge to guess.
First prize is a free Caipirinha here in Bahia. (Flying tickets not included).

Weeee....

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:03 am
aouameurfarid wroteÉmilio,
By the way this my first message on this forum.
Im notion customer since three years and passionate about stylus interfacing with notion.
I would like to thank you for the work you've done with strokeplus (that i discovered last year). Since, i purchased wacom Cintiq and work with a mixed system inspired by your work and it works like a charm !!!

I Will post something about my system as soon as possible.
(Since yesterday, i also have the surface pro 3 and staffpad wich is amazing and that i use in conjonction with notion. Thanks to XML :)

See u soon all :)

Farid Aouameur
Composer, orchestrator and conductor.

Wow, Farid. I thank you very much for this feedback. Sometimes I think nobody cares for that. I published that video to try to catch some more attention to Notion (and from Notion, so they fix a couple issues with the pen).
It would be great if you could also publish a video of how you work with Notion.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by rubenstubenchlak on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:01 am
Well Emilio,

it seems your post will make some of us not to sleep tonight!
by elerouxx on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:52 pm
Lol!

One more riddle for you guys.
What's new in this Notion piece of score?

across.png

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by aouameurfarid on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:10 pm
rubenstubenchlak wroteWell Emilio,

it seems your post will make some of us not to sleep tonight!

exactly !!! :D
by aouameurfarid on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:00 am
elerouxx wrote
Thanks

It was made in Notion!
It is possible!

Weeee....

May be the solution has to do with editing a kind of custom font with a font editor and then place the special notation things as text on the staff. Right ? :D
by rubenstubenchlak on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:34 am
Lalaririrriiii I am not anxious at all... :reading:
by elerouxx on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 am
aouameurfarid wrote
elerouxx wrote
Thanks

It was made in Notion!
It is possible!

Weeee....

May be the solution has to do with editing a kind of custom font with a font editor and then place the special notation things as text on the staff. Right ? :D

Yes, fonts are solutions for several things. But the feathered beams? lol

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:44 am
Ok guys, sorry to tease you these days, I was on a rush of work. But today is a holiday here, and now I can stop to explain everything.

On a couple hours I'll post an image that explains all the things on that score.

In the meantime, just wanted to share some more findings I did yesterday so now this is also possible...

more_improvements.png

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:45 am
... So I would like to ask you guys, if you had a chance to change the SLASHED NOTEHEAD (first one in the image, marked with an asterisk) to something more useful, what would you choose as a notehead?

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:48 am
Ok then, here are the solutions...
(First of all, nobody really won the contest so I decided to give you all free caipirinhas the day you visit Bahia.)

The FEATHERED BEAMS in this example were done by overlapping voices!

1. Create a group of 8th notes the way you wish (with or without tuplet) but in any case they must be beamed together.

2.Copy the group (or the whole measure) and PASTE SPECIAL -> PASTE INTO VOICE 2

3.Then PASTE INTO VOICE 3

4. Select all and Right click -> Notes -> Stem Up (or Stem down) so you make sure all voices stems point the same direction

Ready! now you can adjust every beam manually.
This solution might seem fragile, but it is far more solid that it seems. The automatic spacing and adjustments do not destroy this, since all voices are adjusted together in the case of a layout change.
And remember that this is not meant for a whole piece, this kind of contemporary notation should be used sparsely.

One more thing, if you are using tuplets for this, make sure the tuplets bracket and/or number is shown on the same side as the noteheads and not the beams.

Almost all the other 'improvements' are done with fonts. The attached image explains them. (Notion 5 screen capture)

contemporary tricks 800.png

Some notes:

In measure 4 I didn't use a tuplet, because Notion can't hide tuplet numbers or brackets. Instead I kept the notes as 8ths. If you are bothered by the red notes at the end of a measure, although they will be printed in black, you can add a hidden Time Signature that includes all the notes (in this case should be 11/8).

The custom bracket in measure 4 was done with a common font - some fonts contain 'box drawing' characters. I used windows' Character Map to find the right characters and pasted them into a text object in Notion. I am sure there is a similar tool in Mac.

Of course you can add a word or a letter in the middle, something like this but with box chars:

,---------- mallet ---------,

But in this case I left a white space in the middle and used ANOTHER text object using the Musical Symbols font to add the half note symbol in the middle of the bracket.

CUSTOM NOTEHEADS:

Since Notion doesn't support custom noteheads, I choose to add text objects for noteheads, for clusters and other contemporary conventions, as I did in measure 6. And since Notion can't hide noteheads, the font needs to completely cover the existing notehead. Once again, this may seem fragile, but surprisingly these text objects rarely get misaligned! If you increase or decrease greatly the notation size (for instance, when generating parts), the font might be a little small and has to have its size and vertical position slightly adjusted once, but to my surprise the HORIZONTAL placement is rock-solid in Notion! Characters are attached to notes, so unless you make drastic changes, they will stay in place.

(Last night I also found out a way to HIDE Notion noteheads, but that will need a bigger explanation).

In measure 7, I use the same bracket thing but I add some symbols from the font MAESTRO PERCUSSION.

In measure 8, I put on the score a parenthetical accident, as well as microtonal markings that are not the Notion standard. This is something to be used in extreme cases only, it's more fragile because these characters have to be manually displaced to the left, so they are prone to be messed up when things change.

(Last night I also found a way to replace the common microtonal accidents in Notion by the 'other' system which is widely used. But to tell the truth I prefer the Notion way).

Measure 9 has this funny graphic but it's nothing but a series of characters I found in the font MAESTRO PERCUSSION, by using the Character Map.

The arrow that goes from + to o in measure 12 is also a font.
In measures 13 and 14 I put some big numbers. Nothing but a font. In some complex contemporary scores this kind of big signatures is useful for the conductor.

Measure 18 is me trying to find a way to write undetermined quick notes. the rests below are hidden and won't print. But you should disconsider these last experiments, they are not good, plus now there's a way of hiding noteheads.

I want to say there's no big magic here. Notion doesn't really support these things natively, but these are limitations I try to overcome everyday because I really love the software and don't want to use Finale or Sibelius just because I need feathered beams here or a custom head there. These are nothing but TRICKS, workarounds that I use for my work and I am just sharing them hoping to be of any help.

Best Regards!

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by elerouxx on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:53 am
elerouxx wroteLol!

One more riddle for you guys.
What's new in this Notion piece of score?

The attachment across.png is no longer available

across.png

Ah yes. It's not possible to make a beam across two measures.

What you can do is to make a hidden signature change (instead of two 4/4 measures, write one 8/4 measure) and then add a 'font' barline in the middle. Fragile solution. (But Finale's solution for this is almost as bad, so...)

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director
by rubenstubenchlak on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:33 pm
Valeu Emilio, super obrigado!!!
Abraços!
by elerouxx on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:52 pm
rubenstubenchlak wroteValeu Emilio, super obrigado!!!
Abraços!

Disponha!

Veja que no forum postei mais um negócio, para esconder ou colocar diferentes cabeças de notas. Isso é depois de alterar um arquivo XML de definições (glyph definitions) mas não posso postar o arquivo .tpk no forum.

Emilio Le Roux
Composer | Film Director

17 posts
Page 1 of 1