Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
For some reason, no matter which grace note I select (8th, 16th, 32nd, etc.), the interval always sounds the same, and it's not very tight: there's a fractional but noticeable pause between the grace note and the main note--more so than (I think) there should be.

Is there a way to shorten the time between the sounding of the grace note and the sounding of the main note?

Currently using Notion 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro (desktop - OS X 10.9.2, 32GB RAM) and 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.1).
by michaelmyers1 on Fri May 15, 2015 10:53 pm
I tried hitting the tab key to show the note lengths and adjusting the timing of the grace notes that way, but frankly I can't tell if it has any effect. You might give it a shot.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by jasonchildress on Wed May 20, 2015 3:16 pm
Thanks, Michael: it didn't work for me either, but it was worth a try.

Currently using Notion 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro (desktop - OS X 10.9.2, 32GB RAM) and 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.1).
by michaelmyers1 on Wed May 20, 2015 9:08 pm
Feature request time, I guess.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by drumlogik808 on Sat May 30, 2015 12:16 am
michaelmyers1 wroteFeature request time, I guess.

+1

Michaelmyers, have you sent this in as a feature request?

Mac mini (Server, late 2012) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, (2011) Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 & 10.10.3, Notion 5.1, Sibelius 7.5.1, Logic 10.1.1
by johnnewberry on Sat May 30, 2015 11:06 am
jasonchildress wroteFor some reason, no matter which grace note I select (8th, 16th, 32nd, etc.), the interval always sounds the same, and it's not very tight: there's a fractional but noticeable pause between the grace note and the main note--more so than (I think) there should be.

Is there a way to shorten the time between the sounding of the grace note and the sounding of the main note?

Yes!
Beyond using a common slur I've found in Notion 5 many different ways to alter the "grace note" and the way it sounds during playback.
These note edits are a little difficult to adjust and unpredictable "yet" it is possible to get better and more realistic playback results.

Try some of these edits:

Using the "Sequencer Overlay"_

1. Shorten the length of the preceding note before the "grace note".
    Then change the "grace note" start-time, duration and the same for the note being ornamented ( that follows the "grace note)".
    2. If making the "grace note" occur latter in time, add staccato, tenuto etc... or other articulation to the "grace note".
    Then, right-click the "grace note" and on the context menu select "Attachment>Hide".
    Then again adjust the start an duration of the note being ornamented.
    3. Change the "Velocity" of the "grace note" or both it and the note it is ornamenting.
    Generally the "grace note" is dynamically greater or "louder" than the note being ornamented.
These suggestions are just the beginning.
There are Custom Rules for Notion "only" instruments that may address this.
And, if 3rd party vsti are being used then there should be other options also.
Express Edit entry of 'grac" will add "grace" to the Notion 5 cursor for staff placement; however, there is no way to know what it does in a score if anything at this time.
Anyways, there are ways to alter the way "grace note" ornamentation's playback. It's just not easy to work with and find the best results.
Granted Notion 5 could be better at this. I guess for now I can workaround this issue.
There needs to be an easier way though.

Some ornamentation's methods are subjective and based on the music content interpretation from the performer is required, IMO.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by johnnewberry on Sat May 30, 2015 2:04 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe that a "grace note" that falls(begins) on the beat is called an "Appoggiatura".
There are long and short Appoggiatura [Quarter -Eighth- Sixteenth etc...(Notion 5 doesn't seem to support.

And! I believe a "slurred grace note" -begins- before the beat. Also not functional in the way I'd think it would work.

This looks ugly, is an incorrect way to write this and! it also doesn't even playback as might be expected.
[grace] slur or appoggiatura.jpg
[grace] slur or appoggiatura.jpg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 7191 times

Since that doesn't work, as a workaround shortening the note that precedes a "grace note" and then
shifting the start-time of the "grace note" to me produces a "slurred grace note" as an alternative to the Notion default grace note(appoggiatura).

To get a connected smooth sound between the "grace note" and the note it is ornamenting setting the velocities, start-times and durations can truly help.

,Newberry

by johnnewberry on Sat May 30, 2015 4:17 pm
ex 2.jpg

,Newberry

by jasonchildress on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:11 am
Thanks John!

I'm still using Notion 4, but once I upgrade I will try these suggestions.

by andrewbailey2 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:08 am
johnnewberry wrote
jasonchildress wroteFor some reason, no matter which grace note I select (8th, 16th, 32nd, etc.), the interval always sounds the same, and it's not very tight: there's a fractional but noticeable pause between the grace note and the main note--more so than (I think) there should be.

Yes!
Beyond using a common slur I've found in Notion 5 many different ways to alter the "grace note" and the way it sounds during playback.
These note edits are a little difficult to adjust and unpredictable "yet" it is possible to get better and more realistic playback results.

Try some of these edits:

Using the "Sequencer Overlay"_

1. Shorten the length of the preceding note before the "grace note".
    Then change the "grace note" start-time, duration and the same for the note being ornamented ( that follows the "grace note)".
    2. If making the "grace note" occur latter in time, add staccato, tenuto etc... or other articulation to the "grace note".
    Then, right-click the "grace note" and on the context menu select "Attachment>Hide".
    Then again adjust the start an duration of the note being ornamented.
    3. Change the "Velocity" of the "grace note" or both it and the note it is ornamenting.
    Generally the "grace note" is dynamically greater or "louder" than the note being ornamented.
These suggestions are just the beginning.
There are Custom Rules for Notion "only" instruments that may address this.
And, if 3rd party vsti are being used then there should be other options also.
Express Edit entry of 'grac" will add "grace" to the Notion 5 cursor for staff placement; however, there is no way to know what it does in a score if anything at this time.
Anyways, there are ways to alter the way "grace note" ornamentation's playback. It's just not easy to work with and find the best results.
Granted Notion 5 could be better at this. I guess for now I can workaround this issue.
There needs to be an easier way though.

Some ornamentation's methods are subjective and based on the music content interpretation from the performer is required, IMO.

,Newberry

Hi John
Can you elaborate on how the velocity of Grace Notes can be edited
I'm using Notion 6 and compose classical piano with 32nd grace notes (Arpeggio type) in the left hand and find the velocity very low
Thanks
Andrew

Mac Air - Mojave 10.14.5 - 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 - 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
--------
Studio One 4.5 Pro
Scarlett Focusrite 6i6 2nd Generation
Native Instruments - Komplete 11 Ultimate

10 posts
Page 1 of 1