Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I noticed that whenever I play the 'Dad Rock' demo file on my computer, the sound crackles. I also noticed that the levels are peaking on the Mixer. Why does this happen?

Mac mini (Server, late 2012) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, (2011) Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 & 10.10.3, Notion 5.1, Sibelius 7.5.1, Logic 10.1.1
by Surf.Whammy on Fri May 22, 2015 3:09 pm
drumlogik808 wroteI noticed that whenever I play the 'Dad Rock' demo file on my computer, the sound crackles. I also noticed that the levels are peaking on the Mixer. Why does this happen?

I did a few experiments yesterday, and if the crackling only happens on this particular demo song, then it's a combination of the amplifier effect on the Electric Guitar, and the various articulations and dynamics on everything, none of which is needed for a Rock song . . .

It's more of an Easy Listening song, which is fine with me . . .

There is a free version of AmpliTube (IK Multimedia) that you can use instead of the NOTION amplifier effect, and busing the strings to add reverb does not help so much . . .

If the crackling happens all the time with every song, then you probably need to adjust the "Buffer Size" in NOTION Preferences . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. This is some great free stuff that works nicely in 64-bit mode in NOTION 5 on the Mac, which is fabulous . . .

SampleTank 3 FREE (IK Multimedia)

AmpliTube CS FREE (IK Multimedia)

T-RackS CS FREE (IK Multimedia)

Addictive Drums FREE (XLN Audio)

Addictive Keys FREE (XLN Audio)

This is an experiment I did in 2013 in NOTION 4 (a) to get a sense of how far the Electric Guitar articulations and techniques can be pushed, which is a bit surprising, and (b) to explore quarter-tone scales. There are native NOTION instruments and a few VSTi virtual instruments, where the Drumkit is a particular pattern from the Addictive Drums "Diabolic" MIDI Pak and plays itself automagically, hence no music notation . . .

In some respects, I think the Electric Guitar sounds more like Scottish Bagpipes or a Psychedelic Electric Accordion, but so what . . .

phpBB [video]

Fabulous! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by drumlogik808 on Sat May 23, 2015 10:02 pm
I managed to solve the problem by placing a on the Master output to stop the levels from peaking, thus eliminating the crackle sound.

Mac mini (Server, late 2012) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, (2011) Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 & 10.10.3, Notion 5.1, Sibelius 7.5.1, Logic 10.1.1

3 posts
Page 1 of 1