Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
just a little idea:
Finale, from Coda Music, is one of the best music soft, and I think that it is the only one that it is not integrated with a huge sequencer - like Sibelius and Dorico and others. why not buy this huge software ! and notion will become the best notation software on the market !! If they don't want, a huge collaboration could also be good :)

have all a nice day

Christian
by acequantum on Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:35 am
I think I would rather see a version update to Notion that addresses some of the basic and useful functions. For example, exploding chords to staves, improved engraving, allowing any text in headers and footers on all pages, enhanced MIDI support, piano roll with easy controller manipulation, expanded notation for guitar and drums, displaying the actual playing time of a score (the clock currently resets at repeats) etc.

I don't believe Coda has owned Finale for years. I think MakeMusic was originally setup as a trademark then became it's own company and is quite profitable with finale. Finale goes for around $700 US and I would not like to see that be the price for Notion.
by nathanielwalker2 on Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:04 am
acequantum wroteI think I would rather see a version update to Notion that addresses some of the basic and useful functions. For example, exploding chords to staves, improved engraving, allowing any text in headers and footers on all pages, enhanced MIDI support, piano roll with easy controller manipulation, expanded notation for guitar and drums, displaying the actual playing time of a score (the clock currently resets at repeats) etc.

I don't believe Coda has owned Finale for years. I think MakeMusic was originally setup as a trademark then became it's own company and is quite profitable with finale. Finale goes for around $700 US and I would not like to see that be the price for Notion.

Finale's price has decreased to $299 and while I appreciate Dorico's MIDI editing features, this can be handled easily by a DAW, especially now that multiple automatically import Sound Variations from Samplers like HALiom, Opus and Synchron.

Notion already has a pipeline for sending Note Data to Studio One.

Notation software is chiefly about layout and print quality. Most aren't trying to be an end to end solution like Dorico - it is quite unique in that ambition.

That being said, I don't see Fender buying MakeMusic. Plus, Finale would take massive amounts of resources to refactor, redesign and revamp in this way. They are already having their own troubles accomplishing what they're aiming to do with it.

I think PreSonus is more concerned with the production side of things than composers and educators.

Right now they are better off just revamping and improving Notion than buying Finale.
by acequantum on Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:07 pm
I really dig the simplicity of Notion. It's a shame but I kinda feel like it's at end of life and there may not be any upgrades escpecially with Finale lowering its price. And if musescore as a free option improves...
by nathanielwalker2 on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:39 am
acequantum wroteI really dig the simplicity of Notion. It's a shame but I kinda feel like it's at end of life and there may not be any upgrades escpecially with Finale lowering its price. And if musescore as a free option improves...

Finale is an engraving powerhouse, but it is not a great composition tool.

Finale is heavily used in Academic/Educational markets. It lowering its price is probably the right decision to bring the cost in line with the status of the software and their plan for development moving forwards.

MuseScore is definitely the bvlock in the market. No one even mentions NOtion, but MuseScore does get mention - even though it's not quite on the level of the "Big 3" (Sibelius, Finale, Dorico).

And with MuseScore 4's new sound libraries and VST3 support, I don't see why anyone would care about Notion 6 from a playback perspective. It doesn't even perform/play back half the ornaments in my score, Lol (that the other 4 do).
by christiangirard on Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:30 am
Ok, so, I have been using Notion seriously since 3 weeks, you know, giving it a real try and I have to say that I'm really impress with the soft. Actually, the soft is really great. I would like to "delete" my first comment. There is no need to buy anyone. there is maybe some features missing but that is not a big deal, it can be add. Maybe presonus will make them and it has, in my opinion, the potential to become the next big soft like Studio One has become.

Thanks for all your reply

Christian
by acequantum on Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:25 pm
That's great to hear. I still like Notion quite a bit and am always finding new things that I hadn't considered or tried. It's still one of the easiest notation programs I've ever used.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1