Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Continuing with my Room Music Series, this is a composition for string quartet and piano I've temporarily entitled Dusk Song. It's definitely in a song form in that it is AABC form repeated four times with variation each repeat, and it seemed kind of reflective of the mood these days with the evenings closing in and dusk arriving sooner each day as we head towards the equinox.

Feedback always appreciated!

phpBB [audio]

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Monterey 12.5
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:17 am
Very nice! :+1

THOUGHTS

For reference, I listened with studio-quality headphones (SONY MDR-7506, a personal favorite) . . .

I like the mix of the piano and strings, as well as the spatial effects! :+1

I think it will be interesting to add a string bass (fingered, not bowed) similar to the tone of Paul McCartney's Höfner Beatle Bass or a Gibson EB-0 bass (IK Multimedia calls it the "Devil Bass"), which has even deeper tone . . .

I'm curious about the AABC pattern . . .

I could determine the chord progressions--since in some respects I do everything "by ear", which is the way I learned the chord and bass patterns for Beatles songs by listening to records over half a century ago--but at present I'm a bit lazy . . .

Specifically, I wonder what the chord progressions are for A, B, and C, respectively . . .

The simplified teenage garage band flavor of Nashville Notation works for me, where for example the chords for "Louie Louie" (The Kingsmen) are {1, 4, 5} on electric bass and map to A Major, D Major, E Major, although the "5" can be a 7th chord . . .

It also can be the more standard Roman numeral flavor {I, IV, V}; but while this also is a type of shorthand, it requires more conscious thinking, hence is avoided here in the sound isolation studio, mostly due to my learning bass (single notes) before guitar chords and to some degree piano chords (three-finger mostly, but a few four-finger chords, primarily 7th chords) . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:15 pm
Thanks for listening and the positive comments. The progression is in F Major, AABC denoting 2 A Verses repeated, B Bridge, C Chorus:

A Verse: Gm - C | Am - Dm | Dm - Bb | Gm - C (repeated twice)
B Bridge: Am/C | Dm | C/E
C Chorus: Gm | Bb - C | Gm | Bb - C/E (repeated twice)

I suppose you could also say that the form is AABCC since the chorus is repeated but in my thinking that chorus is really a single entity.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Monterey 12.5
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

3 posts