Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
25 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
IOS is getting a polish... and somehow I think Notion 7 is not too far away, I'm guessing mid-spring.

I have absolutely nothing to base this on except desire and one or two hints here and there.

So whats peoples' main wishes for Notion 7. I guess proper cc editing would be great. A better system of iCloud organisation is my hope too: i.e the ability to have folders and have them open would be good.

And a drop in price for the full fat sounds- £300 is the current UK price..gulp.
by ianpavy on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:10 pm
Notion 7 needs to be compatible with the vast range of new multi core CPUs. At the moment it appears as though CPUs with greater than 6 cores will not work with Notion.

Lets see Notion 7 put all the new multi core/multi threaded CPUs to work and really speed things up! The present and future for PCs is high core and thread count CPUs, so Notion needs the code to put them to work.
by leedickholtz on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 pm
ianpavy wroteNotion 7 needs to be compatible with the vast range of new multi core CPUs. At the moment it appears as though CPUs with greater than 6 cores will not work with Notion.

Lets see Notion 7 put all the new multi core/multi threaded CPUs to work and really speed things up! The present and future for PCs is high core and thread count CPUs, so Notion needs the code to put them to work.

Ian, I've got Notion running okay on an 8-core I9-9900KF Win 10-based system. Not sure how that compares to whatever 'greater than 6-cores' system has been giving you trouble.

In August - September of 2019, I was experiencing problems with importing and opening files on a 6-core system. I think it happened after a Notion point-update. In any case, support provided a beta version that's working fine for me, on my 8-core Win-10 system. Version # from About is 6.5.471.

Have also guessed that something's in the works, based on a 'sideways' viewing of a tech support 'non-committal' response. Looking forward to a new release, whenever that might happen.

Often seems like Notion never gets the luv it deserves, from PreSonus. The expression 'red-haired stepchild' comes to mind. Apologies if that's an old expression that is now considered offensive.
by ChrisS23 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:19 am
The multi-core support in the beta version you refer to above, is now publicly available in Notion 6.6 (released Feb 6th).

PreSonus has been tending to this red-head behind the scenes with much care and love and there's much planned for the next couple of years. Mid-Spring is a little early for Notion 7 though - it must just be wind you're feeling ;)

-Chris

Product Manager - Notion
PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
http://www.presonus.com/products/notation-software
by aduki on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:44 pm
Thanks for that view of where things are at Chris- sometimes devs can be so elusive and noncommittal so it's a breath of fresh air (more wind references!) to not get that for once :thumbup:
by chrismarshall2 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:54 am
I'm just hoping N7 has direct integration with S1 (with ARA maybe?). Right now yes, I can export/import in both directions but it's not exactly elegant or realtime.. But a lot of the time I want to be able to see the score while Studio One is playing, and have it track along using the same transport controls. Basically like the Cubase or Sonar score utility.

Unless I've missed something really obvious I'm amazed it doesn't do this already,

Wood

Windows 10 (1909), i9 9900k, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface Pro, S1 Pro 4.6
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:48 pm
chrismarshall2 wroteI'm just hoping N7 has direct integration with S1 (with ARA maybe?). Right now yes, I can export/import in both directions but it's not exactly elegant or realtime.. But a lot of the time I want to be able to see the score while Studio One is playing, and have it track along using the same transport controls. Basically like the Cubase or Sonar score utility.

Unless I've missed something really obvious I'm amazed it doesn't do this already,

Considering this has been possible and practical since 2010, one might suggest graciously as a friend that you are "missing something"--observing that 10 years ago I did not know any of this stuff (other than how to do real studio recording, of course) . . . :reading:

THOUGHTS

Now that NOTION and Studio One Professional support ReWire MIDI, it's even easier . . . :+1

I call it the "ReWire MIDI Strategy"; and the way it's done is to use Studio One Professional for the ReWire host controller and NOTION for the ReWire slave . . .

Studio One Professional hosts all the VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins (also AUi virtual instruments and AU effects plug-ins on the Mac); and this is what Studio One Professional is optimized to do best--along with handling Audio Tracks, mixing, and so forth . . .

In this strategy, NOTION only has ReWire MIDI staves and handles the music notation and MIDI generation, which it sends to Studio One Professional and is what NOTION is optimized to do best--although for live performances, NOTION also is optimized for its own native instruments . . .

There are a handful of VSTI virtual instruments which are easiest to develop when hosted in NOTION, but these are exceptions; and once the music notation and so forth is developed and perfected, it can be switched to hosting the VSTi virtual instruments in Studio One Professional, where at this time NOTION once again is focused on ReWire MIDI staves . . .

Here in the sound isolation studio, Realivox Blue (RealiTone) is one of the VSTi virtual instruments (runs in Kontakt [Native Instruments]) which is easier to hosts initially in NOTION, since it uses kewsitches and an advanced phonetic scripting language . . .

Doing the initial work for Realivox Blue in NOTION makes it easier to develop the phonetic scripts, keyswitches, and so forth, since it's all done in NOTION and Kontakt this way . . .

It's a flexible strategy, and you can mix and match, using whichever techniques and sub-strategies are most convenient for what you need to do . . .

MECHANICS

If this is a new activity for someone, then it requires a bit of learning and at first takes a while to master; but overall this is not because it is particularly difficult to do (which it isn't) . . .

Instead, it's a matter of learning how everything works in this advanced strategy for creating songs in layers . . .

Conceptually from the perspective of Graphic User Interface (GUI) design, it's easier when Studio One Professional and NOTION are running in their own workspaces as separate but intimately inter-communicating applications . . .

From a software engineering perspective, one might suppose it's possible to put both applications in a combined workspace, but with current technologies from Apple and Microsoft (a) it's inefficient and (b) it's messy, all for no practical or logical reasons . . .

In some respects the overriding fact is that Studio One Professional is doing everything it needs to do when it runs in its own application workspace, as is the case with NOTION . . .

Another fact is that you can put too much stuff in an application workspace and overwhelm it . . .

I suspect some folks imagine that Studio One Professional and NOTION can be combined into a single workspace with no adverse consequences, but this is not the case . . .

I have several projects that explain in detail how to compose and create songs in layers using NOTION and Studio One Professional; and this is the primary project at present that explains the "ReWire MIDI Strategy" in vast detail, step-by-step . . .

[NOTE: Nearly none of this is documented anywhere other than in this forum, and it's an advanced activity. I am writing a book to explain all this stuff and a good bit more about producing and audio engineering, which is coming along nicely and probably will be finished sometime this year. There is one chapter which focuses primarily on how to make an electric bass guitar sound like a "rubber band", which is a generally undocumented technique that works nicely for bass sounds from the mid-1950s to mid-1960s when songs were played on car radios and jukeboxes . . . ]

Project: ReWire ~ NOTION + Studio One Professional (PreSonus NOTION Forum)

[NOTE: This is one of the early examples in the project, and it shows Studio One Professional and NOTION running at the same time in a ReWire session, where you will observe everything is synchronized and easily switched from viewing Studio One Profession to viewing NOTION and vice-versa as desired. If you need to change something, you can stop the transport; switch focus to the application where you want to make the change (Studio One Professional or NOTION); make the change; and then resume playing and listening. It's very flexible and cooperatively interactive. When I recorded this video, I was using a 20" Apple Cinema Display, but since then a few months ago I found an Apple 30" Cinema HD Display (circa 2004) in perfect condition on eBay for $250 (US) and now have enough screen real estate to have Studio One Professional and NOTION fully visible, which is very nice . . . ]

phpBB [video]

PRACTICAL PERSPECTIVE ON COMPLEXITY

It's perhaps too easy to suggest that "This is way too complicated"; but when you consider everything you can do with this strategy, it's not "way too complicated"; and in fact, it's the most efficient way to do everything, which for reference includes even more stuff like recording real instruments and real vocalists . . .

If you have an external digital audio and MIDI interface device and some microphones, instruments, and external signal processors, as well as a calibrated full-range studio monitor system augmented with a pair of deep bass subwoofers, then by enhancing your software library with Reason (Reason Studios), you literally can do everything by yourself in layers, where instruments that you do not play (or prefer not to play) are done with virtual instruments and music notation, while the same is true for singing that you prefer not to do or cannot do, with Realivox Blue being the way I do female soprano vocalizing via phonetic scripting, music notation, and so forth . . .

As you can observe in the diagram, it covers everything that can be done; and it does it in a practical way which is as efficient as possible . . .

Other than the "Really Bigger Drumkit", I do everything here in the sound isolation studio, which is 6 feet wide by 7 feet high and 12 feet long--basically the size of a small walk-in closet . . .

Obviously, I can't squees a 120-person orchestra in here; but I don't need to do it that way, since I have virtual instruments . . .

Consider that it's the mid-1960s and you are George Martin, Abbey Road Studios, and the Beatles with an unlimited budget to do whatever you desired to do . . .

You could hire a full orchestra and put it in the big studio, and so forth; but to put this into perspective, people need to do everything you do in the "ReWire MIDI Strategy"--setup microphones, run cables (real and virtual), and so forth . . .

The key differences are (a) that it doesn't cost you millions of dollars, (b) you can do it yourself, and (c) it takes a bit longer because you don't have a team of audio engineers and setup folks to configure everything . . .

It's the exact same amount of work, but you do each bit of work yourself, which is what makes it something you can afford to do and makes it practical for you to do . . .

If you are going to do all this stuff by yourself, then you need to learn how to do all this stuff yourself, which for reference is the reality no matter how you decide to do all this stuff yourself . . .

It takes a while, because at least some of it is new in terms of not knowing how to do it, but so what . . .

Rollback the clock a few centuries and you would need to be Mozart to have the opportunity . . .

Rollback the clock 50 years ago, and you would need to be a hit musical group to have the opportunity . . .

Today you can do all this stuff for less than the cost of 10 year-old, low-mileage, used car--at least if you already have whatever instruments you play and have not yet gone totally crazy and started buying elaborate sets of sampled-sound libraries and advanced effects plug-ins . . .

It took me about a year to make sense of the initial level of stuff; but I was productive during this time, where this is the first song I did in 2010 with virtual instruments in NOTION 3, where the primary motivations for using virtual instruments were (a) that I couldn't play the Flamingo rhythms on the drumkit here in the sound isolation studio and (b) that I didn't have an orchestra . . .

[NOTE: I made the video in 2014, but the music was done in 2010 . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 pm
chrismarshall2 wroteI'm just hoping N7 has direct integration with S1 (with ARA maybe?). Right now yes, I can export/import in both directions but it's not exactly elegant or realtime.. But a lot of the time I want to be able to see the score while Studio One is playing, and have it track along using the same transport controls. Basically like the Cubase or Sonar score utility.

It does. See my video here (many other examples on my YouTube channel):

phpBB [video]

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:17 am
michaelmyers1 wrote See my video here (many other examples on my YouTube channel):

phpBB [video]

Excellent! :+1

THOUGHTS

Sounds great on the JBL GO2 mini-loudspeakers, and you synchronized the video nicely using the conductor track to control the tempo of the music generated and played via music notation and virtual instruments under control of Studio One Professional and NOTION . . .

As the British say, "It's the Full Monty" . . .

The Surf Whammys

by chrismarshall2 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:24 am
Thanks all - I'll view and try your suggestions. S1-Notion connection seems to be either through Re-Wire, or the newer more direct approach. I couldn't get the 2-way comms going using the direct method, but haven't tried re-wire yet. Actually I think I did once but it caused a pc freeze.

@surfwahmmy - I'm very happy to be wrong and corrected, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Wood

Windows 10 (1909), i9 9900k, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface Pro, S1 Pro 4.6
by richhickey on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:11 am
Unfortunately, Studio One currently only supports a subset of MIDI via ReWire. S1 does not support CC messages from Notion to S1 (it apparently just drops them). This makes it impractical to host VIs in S1 and the rulesets for triggering them in Notion.

This is a real shame because that is the most powerful synchronous workflow. It works well with Cubase, Logic and Digital Performer. But not Studio One.

Note this is a Studio One issue, not a Notion issue.

(note you can workaround this by sending the MIDI from Notion to S1 via an IAC bus on Mac, but you shouldn't have to.)
by answescor on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:06 am
I would like to be able to open a pdf to be able to import to Notion
by axelchambily on Tue May 25, 2021 10:25 am
1. Spitfire BBSO core presets !
2. Audio to score function (monophonic and polyphonic)
by Surf.Whammy on Tue May 25, 2021 1:14 pm
axelchambily wrote1. Spitfire BBSO core presets !

You can use Melodyne (Celemony) to analyze and create MIDI from audio . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Studio One Professional comes with Melodyne Essentials, and you can use the included version to upgrade to the Melodyne Editor (Celemony) . . .

Melodyne 5 (Celemony)

For example, you can record yourself singing a melody or playing a guitar; and then you can have Melodyne analyze the audio to create a set of what in Melodyne terminology are called "blobs", where each "blob" is a note or some sound . . .

Melodyne supports quantizing, smoothing, and various types of actions, including pitch correction, snapping to specific scales (a virtual festival of scales and modes are supported), and so forth . . .

Once you have the "blobs", you can export it as MIDI; and then you can import the MIDI to NOTION where it can be converted to music notation . . .

Melodyne supports both monophonic and polyphonic analyses and representations, but the polyphonic functionality requires upgrading to the more advanced versions of Melodyne . . .

Melodyne Essentials, which is included with Studio One Professional, does Audio-to-MIDI . . .

I use the Melodyne Editor, and it supports monophonic (simple) and polyphonic (advanced), but I mostly use the monophonic flavor, since for pitch correction of singing it's better not to use polyphonic flavoring . . .

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by michaelmyers1 on Tue May 25, 2021 7:24 pm
axelchambily wrote1. Spitfire BBSO core presets !

I haven't created presets, but I have posted my ruleset for BBCSO core previously. Attaching it here for convenience.

Attachments
Spitfire BBCSO MJM2.prules
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by ennbr on Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:27 pm
The biggest workflow improvement I could use in Notion would be to modify Shortcuts and add Shortcuts for the remaining buttons like Handwriting, Mixer, Performance Mode etc. A shortcut like Studio One has using the comma "," key to jump to the start of the song would be nice.

And it would be handy to right click on the staff to Mute or Solo a part without opening the mixer.

Bruce

Computers:
Mini PC Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 boot, 4TB data Win 11
Laptop ASUS Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 4TB SSD data Win 11
Software: Studio One Pro 6, Notion 6.8, Melodyne Studio 5
Audio Interfaces: Moto 1248, M4
External Storage: Samples 3x 2TB SSD's, Projects 4TB SSD
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:48 pm
ennbr wroteAnd it would be handy to right click on the staff to Mute or Solo a part without opening the mixer.

+100! That's a VERY old feature request of mine. Maybe about 8 years now?

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by nathanielwalker2 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:26 am
I ended up going to Dorico because frankly I would have wasted more Money (in time) creating Rules for my Libraries, when I can just import the Cubase Expression Maps and "polish" them up in Dorico.

Also, Notion doesn't have VST3 support and half of my VST2 Plug-ins and instruments crash it to desktop if I try to enable them.

I don't understand why it's 2021 and you still have to buy separate sound libraries for Notion and Studio One. It should have been moved to Presence/Impact XT years ago, IMHO.

Beyond that, I've been more productive these days with my composition, and I really hate the way Notion performs grace notes and some other things. Dorico is far better in that realm. The playback is just better, and the sounds are better, as well.

But really, the constant crashing was just too much to handle. With Dorico adding an iPad App was kind of a deal sealer for me.
by herbievantetering on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:51 am
Notion is the leader in Notation software. It looks like Dorico is a type of clone what Notion 7 was going to be. Dorico was released in a short time, it makes you wonder why Notion 7 is still not released. Dorico looks in many ways a clone of Notion 6.

With regards to programming expression and articulation maps, once the XML file is complete and generic enough it can be used for many VST plugins.

Steinbug's Dorico crashes when handling larger files, whilst Notion 6 can handle entire symphonies lasting more than 1 hour.

I've never had Notion 6 crash, except when clicking on too many buttons at the same time.

Notion 7 will arrive soon and it will again redefine music notation. If we trust the developers who brought us Notion 6, we can expect much from Notion 7 and more.

By the way, would Mozart or Beethoven have misbehaved if you gave them Notion 6 to compose their Symphonies?
by aduki on Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:45 pm
ChrisS23 wroteThe multi-core support in the beta version you refer to above, is now publicly available in Notion 6.6 (released Feb 6th).

PreSonus has been tending to this red-head behind the scenes with much care and love and there's much planned for the next couple of years. Mid-Spring is a little early for Notion 7 though - it must just be wind you're feeling ;)

-Chris

So #ChrisS23 that was nearly 3 years ago now...was that hot air when you said "next couple of years". :+1
We need Notion 7 please!
As the product manager can you tell us when (if??) it will happen? And also what is planned. I know software companies never give release dates but in this case at least tell us why the HUGE delay from 6 to 7...

Thanks

25 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2