Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
When I use the Realtek ASIO driver in Notion 6 I only get audio from Notion, but not from any other sound source on my Windows 10 computer. Since I use Notion primarily to transcribe music I need to listen to other sound sources on my Windows computer as well. Is there something I can do?
Thank you!
by acequantum on Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:17 pm
Hi,

Unless you have an audio interface with multiple audio ports (ins, outs) the ASIO driver will claim all of the audio resources for your sound card for whatever software is using it. You can check your windows recording settings to see if you have Stereo Mix available which would allow you accept input from multiple audio sources, but I believe the ASIO driver will only focus on the audio it is assigned to and using at the time.
by felixweber on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:11 pm
Thank you, that was very helpful!
by acequantum on Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:46 am
The solution might be to not use the ASIO drive for your purposes. If you are running into latency issues, this might stink.

Maybe WaveRT is an option for you. This is the windows low latency audio solution. I haven't used it, but it may allow multiple sound sources and low latency audio all at once.
by JohnBW on Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:28 pm
felixweber wroteWhen I use the Realtek ASIO driver in Notion 6 I only get audio from Notion, but not from any other sound source on my Windows 10 computer. Since I use Notion primarily to transcribe music I need to listen to other sound sources on my Windows computer as well. Is there something I can do?
Thank you!

As was mentioned, ASIO is not multi-client, meaning that it can only connect to one application at a time.

If Windows WASAPI is an option, use that instead. It's performance can be quite decent in Windows 10.

For example, you could use ASIO for your most demanding real-time audio application, and use WASAPI on the others.

In my case I usually leave my DAW connected to ASIO, and use WASAPI for other audio applications. Windows audio seems to co-exist and any audio from ordinary Windows applications still has access to the audio hardware. An Important key that I have found is to use the same sampling rate for everything. I use 48KHz here.

Say that you had your audio hardware locked to 48KHz using ASIO, and Windows apps were trying to use 44.1 KHz, you may have issues.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro

5 posts
Page 1 of 1