Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I've imported a MIDI file that starts in 4/4, has a change in the middle to 3/4 then goes back to 4/4. For whatever reason only the first 4/4 time signature is recognized after importing into Notion 6. That means the bar lines in the 3/4 section are off.

If I insert the new time sig in the score where the 3/4 should start, the barlines do not adjust around the notes. Is there a way to make the barlines automatically adjust to new time signatures or for mass corrections unde similar circumstances when there are too many notes in consecutive measures?
Last edited by acequantum on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by madisonfinley on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 am
If there is, I don't know it.

I encountered this problem after importing a Music XML of a Bach piece. It misinterpreted the two-beat pickup and all bars were 'off' by two beats. I finally went through adding new bar lines in place then deleting the old ones. Took awhile.

Windows 11 Home, Notion 6, Studio One 6. Intel i9, 32 GB RAM
by acequantum on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:51 am
That's what I feared...

Thanks, though.
by madisonfinley on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:15 pm
I'm just a near-beginner when it comes to Notion's features. I'm very proficient but only with a few features. Don't take my answer as THE answer.

by acequantum on Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:00 pm
A workaround of sorts, is as follows:

After testing, this doesn't happen with well formatted MIDI files, except in the case of pickup measures. It does, however seem to happen with Music XML files more often.

Whatever the case, if there is a pickup measure or related time sig change measure layout problems you don't have to rebarline the entire piece. Once the piece is imported, if you know where the specifc time signature changes are, place them at the proper points. You may have to add a barline so you can put the time signature at the right place. You don't need to edit the other barlines.

If there was supposed to be a pickup measure and it has thrown off the barlines, add the correct rests before the pickup note so that the timing is complete and correct for that measure.

Once the corrections are done, export the score as a MIDI file, then import it as MIDI to a new score. The measures should all line up now and the time signatures should be in place without having to have gone through the whole score correcting barlines.

It's a little bit of work, but much less than trying to manually reformat the barlines in the entire piece.
by madisonfinley on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:23 am
That's a good idea to fix bar one, export and re-import. I'll try that the next time I get this problem.

by stefanorigamonti on Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:16 pm
Hi I have a problem.
To modify or insert a time signature, studio one takes me a long time, several minutes.
It happens in a very long project, almost an hour, and with many tracks.
How can I do to speed up the operation?
by madisonfinley on Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:10 pm
Just checking, did you mean to post this here in the Notion forum, or should it be in the Studio One forum?

by Surf.Whammy on Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:30 pm
stefanorigamonti wroteHi I have a problem.
To modify or insert a time signature, studio one takes me a long time, several minutes.
It happens in a very long project, almost an hour, and with many tracks.
How can I do to speed up the operation?

The Studio One project is too big for your computer and operating system to handle efficiently . . . :roll:

SOLUTION

Divide the big project into smaller subprojects . . .

Instead of one big timeline spanning 60 minutes, separate it into 5 to 10 minutes segments in a way that is convenient for adding the finished audio to the film or video content . . .

Create a master folder to contain everything, where each subproject has its own subfolder . . .

Make copious archives and include version and sequence numbers in the file names . . .

With Studio One Professional, you can import subprojects into a master project container once the audio has been generated, at which time you can assemble all the subproject audio into a master audio file . . .

Studio One Professional is excellent for combining the mixes of each subproject into a master audio file . . .

You also can do this with individual tracks (Instrument Tracks and Audio Tracks); so for example, if you have a stellar electric bass sound in another project but want to add it to a current project, you can do this, and the effects plug-ins and other settings travel with it . . .

You might need to do a bit of fine-tuning, but instead of starting from nothing, you start with an accurate blueprint of the desired electric bass sound . . .

For years, I imagined something like this but never discovered how to do it . . .

A few months ago, I did a bit more reading and discovered it's super easy to do . . .

THOUGHTS

No matter how peppy and state-of-the-art your computer and operating system happen to be, there always will be limits due to something--system memory, VSTi and VST plug-in engines, multiprocessing and multitasking, MIDI, interapplication and VSTi virtual engine communication channels, and so forth . . .

There is no logical reason to have one big project that runs for an hour or longer . . . :ugeek:

It might appear to be "easier" at first; but over the long run it wastes your time for no useful reason . . .

It's the same with projects for songs that run only for a few minutes when you have many VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins . . .

My songs usually have from 50 to 100 VSTI virtual instruments and virtual festivals of VST effects plug-ins, all of which are hosted in Studio One Professional--other than Realivlx Blue (RealiTone), my favorite virtual femals soprano, whom I keep in NOTION since it's easier to work with her phonetic scripts and vocal behaviors with deep bass keyswitches . . .

I create songs in layers, where each layer is 20 VSTi virtual instruments hosted in Studio One Professional with the music notation on ReWire MIDI staves in NOTION . . .

When I have the 20 VSTi virtual instruments working nicely, I record the generated audio to Aucio Tracks and then retire corresponding 20 Audio Tracks to make room for another set of 20 Instrument Tracks . . .

I keep elaborate backups and step-wise archives, so I can go backward when necessary, although going forward is best . . .

One hour is too long, no matter how its done . . .

You can use Audacity to combine a set of audio clips to make a continuous hour or longer audio file and stream . . .

Audacity

This is what I call the "Divide and Conquer" rule, and it's a good rule . . . :+1

If this is audio intended for film or video, then there are ways to synchronize the audio and visual content . . .

Overall, I think 5 to 10 minutes is the longest practical duration for an audio project . . .

You might think using smaller projects to create a big project is a hassle and interrupts your creative flow; but working with one big project travels with so much slowness and so many logistical problems that it wastes your time and introduces problems due to "bigness" that are easily avoided when you separate a big project into a series of smaller projects . . .

Who cares if it appears to be a hassle?

Not me!

The reason is that with Studio One Professional, NOTION, and deep and rich set of VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins, one person can do everything . . .

And you can do it with your computer in your digital studio without needing to spend all your money on renting recording studios, hiring musicians, and all that stuff . . .

Consider this song, which has a lot of VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins . . .

It has 100 or so instrument and vocal tracks . . .

It's done in layers . . .

The music notation is in NOTION on ReWire MIDI staves, and the instruments and effects plug-ins are hossted in Studio One Professional, with the exception of Realivox Blue, of course, which is hosted directly in NOTION . . .

There are 16+ tracks of drums and Latin percussion instruments done this way so I can do motion panning, where for example I have a far-left panned kick drum and a far-right panned kick drum . .

[NOTE: This is mixed for headphone listening, which is the best way to hear the motion effects and so forth . . . ]

phpBB [video]

It takes a while to do songs this way--one set of 20 instruments at a time per layer--but (a) one person can do it and (b) it's practical . . .

Using Ringo Starr and the Beatlss as an example, Ringo does not play all the drums at the same time . . .

He uses two hands and two feet to play the drumkit and Latin percussion instruments . . .

It looks like he is playing everything all at the same time; but physically and mechanically each drum, cymbal, and cowbell is played separately, even though effectively it's all at the same time . . .

I treat each drum, cymbal, cowbell, and Latin percussion instrument as a separate entity; and I provide the music notation for each one . . .

This is the way a human drummer plays percussion parts . . .

Their two hands and two feet are doing lots of stuff, but ultimately each thing is different, separate, and independent . . .

In my system, each individual drum and Latin percussion instrument has its own separate and independent track with individualized panning and other effects . . .

This matches what a real drummer does in every respect . . .

Basically, you have a ReWire MIDI staff for each foot and each hand and each drum, cymbal, and Latin percussion instrument . . .

The music notation specifies what each foot and hand is doing . . .

If you have a lot of drums and cymbals, then you have a lot of ReWire MIDI staves . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. I usually do a separate YouTube music video for each layer of a song--which I call a "version"--and I do this so folks can see how a song is constructed in layers . . .

The current "version" of the flying saucer song is "v10", so the earlier layers are available on my YouTube Channel . . .

For reference, my newest computer is an 2013 Apple 27" iMac running macOS Catalina . . .

It has a peppy Intel processor (fastest available), 32GB of system memory, and a 4TB internal hard drive . . .

One might suppose that with a current iMac, I could do layers with more than 20 Instrument Tracks at a time; but who cares . . .

Doing layers with 20 Instrument Traks is a convenient layer size, and I have a system for doing it this way . . .

FACT: By the time there are 20 Instrument tracks and some number of audio Tracks, you cannot see all of it on a 27" or 30" display, so adding even more stuff makes no sense . . .

Watch videos of the way producers and audio engineers mix songs, and you will discover they use submixes to consolidate instruments and vocals . . .

phpBB [video]

They keep a few things on separate tracks like lead vocals and lead guitar solos, of course, but when everything is individualized it's too much stuff to work with at a high-level; hence they do submixes to consolidate and then work with the submixes, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by paulingram1 on Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:14 am
I have the same issue with Notion. My buddy only understands how to write midi in Studio One, so I try to take his midi and notate with tab in Notion so I can learn it without having to pick it out by ear. Literally every other paid music notation software program rebars all the music after the time signature change except this one. It is beyond frustrating...

10 posts
Page 1 of 1