Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I searched the forum but I could not find the topic. How do you tie two rhythm slashes?

Thanks,
Eli
by Surf.Whammy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:10 am
Eli Yamzon wroteI searched the forum but I could not find the topic. How do you tie two rhythm slashes?

Lots of FUN! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Eli Yamzon on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.49.29 AM.png
Surf.Whammy wrote
Eli Yamzon wroteI searched the forum but I could not find the topic. How do you tie two rhythm slashes?

Lots of FUN! :+1

Thanks Surf.Whammy. I can tie the regular notes but I can't seem to tie the rhythm slash. How did you do it?

Here is my screenshot
Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.49.29 AM.png

Thanks,
Eli
by Surf.Whammy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:09 pm
Eli Yamzon wroteI can tie the regular notes but I can't seem to tie the rhythm slash. How did you do it?

All you need to do is select the tie tool from the NOTION 5 Tool Palette and then click between the two notes or rhythm slashes you want tie . . .

If for some reason this does not work with rhythm slashes, then do it when they are notes and then after the tie is there, convert them to rhythm slashes . . .

You can switch from notes to rhythm slashes and vice-versa . . .

MOST LIKELY EXPLANATION

When you click two rhythm slashes to tie them together, this only works when they are the same note . . .

If they are two different notes, then you cannot tie them . . .

Consider the following example where the first bar shows a set of notes and the second bar shows these notes displayed as rhythm slashes . . .

You cannot tie any of the adjacent notes because they are not the same pitch . . .

Displaying the notes as rhythm slashes makes it appear that they are identical pitches, but this misleading. They might be the same pitch, in which case you can tie them, but they might be different pitches, in which case you cannot tie them . . .

RULE: You can tie two adjacent notes or rhythm slashes together only if they are the same pitch . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. In the example you posted, switch the rhythm slashes back to notes, and you will see that the notes you want to tie are not the same pitch, and this is the reason you cannot tie them together . . .

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Eli Yamzon on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:29 pm
Surf.Whammy wrote
Eli Yamzon wroteI can tie the regular notes but I can't seem to tie the rhythm slash. How did you do it?

All you need to do is select the tie tool from the NOTION 5 Tool Palette and then click between the two notes or rhythm slashes you want tie . . .

If for some reason this does not work with rhythm slashes, then do it when they are notes and then after the tie is there, convert them to rhythm slashes . . .

You can switch from notes to rhythm slashes and vice-versa . . .

MOST LIKELY EXPLANATION

When you click two rhythm slashes to tie them together, this only works when they are the same note . . .

If they are two different notes, then you cannot tie them . . .

Consider the following example where the first bar shows a set of notes and the second bar shows these notes displayed as rhythm slashes . . .

You cannot tie any of the adjacent notes because they are not the same pitch . . .

Displaying the notes as rhythm slashes makes it appear that they are identical pitches, but this misleading. They might be the same pitch, in which case you can tie them, but they might be different pitches, in which case you cannot tie them . . .

RULE: You can tie two adjacent notes or rhythm slashes together only if they are the same pitch . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. In the example you posted, switch the rhythm slashes back to notes, and you will see that the notes you want to tie are not the same pitch, and this is the reason you cannot tie them together . . .

Surf.Whammy, that is the solution. Thank you and thank you and thank you. I like this app compared to my old one Score Writer. I switched because the new version of Score Writer is so buggy.

Thanks,
Eli
by keithmcgee on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:09 am
I see the answer in the thread, and I stumbled into it as well: make the slashes into notes to be sure they are in fact the same note, tie them, and convert to slashes. If you're just writing slashes, it doesn't seem to work, I'm not sure why. Perhaps there is a way to be sure your slashes are all the same note?
by waynerose1 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:11 am
In cases where there are no underlying notes, and the tie does not insert as it should, until the boys and girls at Presonus get around to fixing this, there is another workaround: Use a slur instead of a tie (Shift S). This will get things looking correct. Then right click on the bar and select Notes>Set As Tacet. Piece of cake!

Not to miss the point. In my current project, I've taken Surf Whammy's advice and written entire sections, that are to eventually be rhythm slashes, in standard notation. Then converted them after I've got them looking the way I want. And I can still play the chords. Works like a charm. Thanks for that! :+1

Mac Pro 2.8 GHz 8-core (2008) 32 GB
iPad 4 9.7", iPad Pro 3 12.9"
Pro Tools 12, Studio One 5.5.2, Reaper, Melodyne 5
Sibelius 7.5, Notion 6.8.2
Focusrite LS56, Yamaha 01V96,
Pro Tools Control, Studio One Remote, Lemur

7 posts
Page 1 of 1