Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
88 postsPage 5 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
I added a Chug Stratocaster and did some composing, arranging, producing, and audio engineering . . . :)

THOUGHTS

The drums have been recorded to Audio Tracks, and I removed the corresponding Instrument Tracks to reduce the requirements for processing resources . . .

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 am
I added a Stereo Fuzz Guitar and a pair of Maracas . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I also did a bit of composing, arranging, producing, and audio engineering . . .

phpBB [video]

ORTHOGONALITY

"Just Got Paid" (ZZ Top) is an excellent example of orthogonality, and Billy Gibbons' ability to play the electric guitar selectively but completely is simply amazing--and he does it while singing, which is even more amazing . . .

phpBB [video]

Grand Funk Railroad does this, too; and Mark Farner does the electric guitar and most of the singing duties . . .

phpBB [video]

Same with Led Zeppelin--instrumentally--although they have a separate singer . . .

phpBB [video]

Add Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Green Day, and a few others to the list, and a pattern emerges for three-piece instrumental orthogonality . . . :+1

AN ODD BUT POSSIBLY HILARIOUS LYRICAL IDEA

I probably will not do this, but based on recent events it's certainly an idea for which I provide a clue . . . :P

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:37 pm
I did a bit of sua sponte singing based on a new idea beamed into my mind by the Aliens From Outer Space . . . :P

THOUGHTS

Listening to "Let's Go (Pony)" (The Routers) a few times rolled-back the clock here in the sound isolation studio, which soon led to another equally Stupid song from the same time over 60 years ago . . .

phpBB [video]

I was listening to the previous version ("Industrial Surf" v3), and I started singing . . .

It was a instance of "words" and a melody appearing instantly; so after singing it a few more times, I recorded it on the first take . . .

phpBB [video]

Is the song going to be "Let's Go Cornholio"?

It's starting to look that way . . . :P

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:13 pm
I added a measure to one of the choruses that was short by one measure and then added a Tremolo Stratocaster playing two deep-pitch quarter notes after each synthesizer phrase . . . :)

THOUGHTS

The choruses are 8 measures each, but one was only 7 measures; so I did some splicing, moving, copying, and pasting . . .

This was necessary since the drumkit was recorded to Audio Tracks and the corresponding Instrument Tracks were deleted (saved in an earlier version but not in the current version) . . .

I made the necessary changes to the NOTION score, as well . . .

Then I added a Tremolo Stratocaster playing two, deep-pitch quarter notes after each of the Syntronik (IK Multimedia) synthesizer phrases . . .

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:35 am
I decided to do the "Let's Go Cornholio" singing . . . :)

THOUGHTS

It's a new level of Stupid, and it's Industrial . . . :P

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:09 pm
I standardized and enhanced the singing and updated the electric guitars . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I created more Audio Tracks for the singing and made the verses sound bigger . . .

The Audio Tracks for the singing are processed with the Melodyne Editor (Celemony) . . .

One of the new Audio Tracks for the singing uses a Butch Vig (Waves) telephone preset, and another Audio Track for the singing uses AmpliTube 5 (IK Multimedia) preset with a Dimebag Darrell guitar rig and a X-Drive (IK Multimedia) effects pedal for massive but controlled distortion--one is at far-right and the other is at top-center. Yet another Audio Track for the singing is at far-left, and it's an echo track . . .

[NOTE: Butch Vig is a producer and the drummer and co-producer for the musical group Garbage (a personal favorite for instrumentation, arrangement, producing, and singing). Garbage is Orthogonal and Industrial. Butch Vig's vocal effects plug-in is a work of art. At present, I am discovering how to use it; but the presets are very nice, and I used one of the "telephone" presets for the "Robo Vocal" Audio Track . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Butch Vig Vocals (Waves) ~ Telephone 1

[NOTE: I used this AmpliTube 5 (IK Multimedia) rig with a few modifications to create the "Growl Vocal" Audio Track . . . ]

AmpliTube 5 (IK Multimedia) ~ Dimebag Darrell Half Stack + X-Drive Crush

There are five Audio Tracks for the verse singing ("Let's Go Cornholio") and two Audio Tracks for the chorus singing ("Aye Yai Yai Yai Yah") . . .

The focus in this version is on arranging, producing, and audio engineering . . .

[NOTE: This is best enjoyed when listening with studio-quality headphones like SONY MDR-7506 headphones (a personal favorite) at loud volume, which is the best way to experience the tone, echoes, and sonic motion. YouTube processes the audio so it's not oppressive, which is one of the things I like about YouTube, along with YouTube checking for copyright violations, a new feature . . . ]

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:07 am
I channeled Butch Vig and Garbage and did a bit of arranging, instrumenting, producing, and audio engineering . . . :)

THOUGHTS

The primary foci in this iteration are (a) embellishing the guitars for the verses, (b) adding a pulsating synthesizer to a few measures in the verses, and (b) producing the Gestalt . . .

phpBB [video]

I am thinking about having Realivox Blue (RealiTone)--my favorite virtual female soprano--do a bit of singing. So long as it's Simple, Stupid, Orthogonal, and Industrial, it will be good . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:05 am
I am starting work on a new song, and I discovered a vastly useful feature of Studio One Professional, which is very nice . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Every so often I sleep for 12 to 18 hours and sooner or later the Aliens From Outer Space beam me the idea for a new Simple, Stupid, and Silly song, which maps to the new set of lyrics:

"You are the pu-pu platter of fantasy
The buffet of ecstasy amplification
The smorgasbord of desire
And the restaurant of romantic satisfaction

I want satisfaction
I want satisfaction
I want satisfaction

Satisfy me
Set me free why don't you, yeah
Satisfy me
Let it be me"

©2021 RAE Multimedia. All Rights Reserved.

I have been doing a bit of cooking lately, including Mexican, Southern Fried Chicken, Indian Curry, and Thai, hence the likely inspiration for the song, which certainly has great potential for the Simple, Stupid, and Silly genre . . .

Recently, I added a Gran Cassa and Tympani to the drumkit; and I added what I call a "Chug" Stratocaster after the name of the preset in SampleTank 4 (IK Multimedia), which I enhanced with the EC-300 echo unit from McDSP . . .

[NOTE: The "Chug" Stratocaster tone and texture is similar to an electric guitar sound I used in one of the songs I recorded when I was doing everything with real instruments and had just completed the custom mods on my Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster. It sounds like the growling "Attention, get out of the way!" quacking-horn on a firetruck, and it's done with a combination of Seymour Duncan pickups and passive midrange tone controls from Rothstein Guitars; and I like it . . . ]

The Fabulous Fifty Million Dollar Trinaural Stratocaster®

Passive Midrange Tone Controls (Rothstein Guitars)

[NOTE: The firetruck quacking-horn tone is heard at the end of the second lead guitar solo . . . ]

phpBB [video]

The problem is that by the time I created the "Chug" Stratocaster in "Let's Go Cornholio", the drumkit Instrument Tracks had been recorded to Audio Tracks and then were removed . . .

So, the electric guitars I like are in a later version of a song, but the Instrument Tracks for the drumkit, Gran Cassa, and Tympani are in the first version of the same song . . .

The last time this happened, I started with a version that had the Instrument Tracks for the drumkit and then added the electric guitars, which took a while but not so long . . .

This time I needed the Instrument Tracks for the drumkit and other percussion, which are more tracks, hence the problem . . .

So, I did a bit of reading and discovered this is something apparently so common that Studio One Professional has an easy way to do it . . .

I have been thinking there probably was a way to do this for a few years but never needed to do it, hence no motivation to read the user manual . . . :reading:

This provided the solution, although after adding the drumkit and percussion Instrument Tracks, I had to reconnect them to the corresponding ReWire MIDI channels, which was easy to do, mostly because I have a set of ReWire MIDI buses and channels that I reserve for the drumkit and percussion instruments in the NOTION scores . . .

One might suppose that if I had discovered this a few years ago, then I might have saved some time; but for practical purposes it was not something I needed to do until more recently after defining a "go to" basic rhythm section and a few other things . .. .

Even after upgrading from the Mac Pro (Early 2008) to the Mac Pro (MID 2010) there continues to be a limit to the number of Instrument Tracks Studio One Professional 5 can handle, which is about 20 Instrument Tracks at a time, although with more Audio Tracks since Audio Tracks require less overhead, processing resources, and so forth . . .

I keep the Instrument Tracks for a few instruments in every iteration but record the other Instrument Tracks for a layer to Audio Tracks and then remove the Instrument Tracks to make room for a new set of Instrument Tracks; and I save each layer as a versioned "*.song" file . . .

This strategy works nicely here in the sound isolation studio; and now that I can import song data from existing "*.song" files, everything will be easier . . .

For reference, importing song data includes the effects plug-ins with their respective custom user-defined presets, so this is very helpful with respect to reusability . . .

It's good exercise to discover how to "dial-in" specific tones, echoes, and so forth; but it's also good to be able to reuse something already configured--especially when it takes a few hours to "dial-in" a new sound . . .

In this respect, one of the goals is to develop an overall "sound" and then to use it as a "cookie cutter" template for a series of songs, similar to a set of songs for an album, where there is consistency to the songs . . .

Back to the new song, I plan to "borrow" a few ideas from the Rolling Stones and no telling what else; and where Keith Richard's guitar phrase goes upward, my version will go downward--essentially making a few changes to the notes and then playing it backwards in the most Stupid way possible . . . :P

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

88 postsPage 5 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5