Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

I have a song I'm scoring out that I've originally written and recorded in Cubase. It has Piano,Vocal,Violin but it also has a lovely Haion One pad sound (and some percussion). It's not essential that I have the same sounds on playback when I'm scoring, but it would be nice. I loaded the Halion One VST with out issue but it just shows a blank screen and no notes on the stave send any midi data to it. So that doesn't appear to work
Alternatively I thought I could just add a Presonus Violin 1 secion, as I have that, and rename it, Synth Pad, but I can't seem to do that either :-\. It also seem to mate it to the Violin solo stave as well.
The sounds available to me seem very limited. Are there any native Presonus synth pad sounds I could download ?

Cheers,

Colin.
by michaelmyers1 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:57 pm
Did you enable Halon One VST as an instrument in Notion's Plug-in Manager? Is it a VST2 Plug-In? Notion will not work with VST3 plug-ins.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15 with small AOC monitor for additional display
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by colinmold on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:21 pm
Yes I did load it in the plugin manager and it gave no error. I think it probably is VST3, so that answers that, thanks :+1
Are there any alternatives you could recommend to use with Notion6. It would be nice to have a few other pad sounds as well as keyboards and strings.

Thanks

Colin.
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 pm
IK Multimedia and Native Instruments have free versions of their products . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Free Software (IK Multimedia)

Free Software (Native Instruments)

Both of these work nicely with NOTION, and one of them should have some nice pads . . .

Several other third-party vendors have free versions of their software products, and they are not restricted or throttled . . .

Mostly, they are the player engines with a nice set of instruments . . .

Getting on their mailing lists is a good idea, and occasionally they send super discount offers . . .

You will need to register, which is easy to do, and this gets you on the mailing lists and qualifies you for discounts . . .

In my experience, they send occasional emails and do not bombard you with junk mail . . .

Mostly it's things like discount offers and announcements of new products, both of which I find helpful . . .

Another strategy is to get a subscription to EW ComposeCloud X or PreSonus Sphere, which map to virtual festivals of a variety of instruments for about $20 a month . . .

[NOTE: I have a yearly subscription for ComposerCloud X, but there is an upgraded version, ComposerCloud Plus, that has even more stuff . . . ]

ComposerCloud (Eastwest)

[NOTE: Since I have both NOTION and Studio One Professional, it doesn't make so much sense for me to get PreSonus Sphere, but if you do not have Studio One Professional, then PreSonus Sphere is enticing, for sure. Definitely lots of good stuff . . . ]

PreSonus Sphere

As you discover more about digital music production, you will find there are a lot of virtual instruments. Nearly all of them are on discount sales every so often, so getting on mailing lists and watching for discount sales makes sense . . .

It's possible to spend $50,000 to $100,000 on virtual instruments and sampled-sound libraries, but not here in the sound isolation studio . . .

I have favorites, and mostly this is everything I need, although when new products appear, sometimes I add them to the collection . .

I devote attention to finding good products at super discounts, and it's not necessary to have every product and sampled-sound library in the known universe

For example, Kontakt (Native Instruments) usually is $400 (US), but during their annual Thanksgiving Discount Sale, it's half-price, which is a significant discount . . .

Cyber Season Discount Sale (formerly known as "Thanksgiving Holliday Discount Sale") ~ Native Instruments

IK Multimedia is having a 75-percent discount sale on Total Studio Max, which has a mind-boggling amount of software, virtual instruments, mixing and mastering effects plug-ins, and so forth . . .

Total Studio Spectacular II Discount Sale (IK Multimedia)

Lots of FUN! :)

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:04 pm
colinmold wroteYes I did load it in the plugin manager and it gave no error. I think it probably is VST3, so that answers that, thanks :+1
Are there any alternatives you could recommend to use with Notion6. It would be nice to have a few other pad sounds as well as keyboards and strings.

Thanks

Colin.

Almost any VST2 works well with Notion. I particularly like BTPhobos by Spitfire Audio, it is a very interesting convolution synth. It can produce some remarkable textures, pads, rhythms and they can be used to convolve each other for some really deep and unique sounds and textures.

You might see if there's a VST2 download option for Halion...

Another option along Surf's line of thinking is UVI Workstation. It works well with Notion, it's free and they have a lot of sounds available for free in the basic player or for a very low cost.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15 with small AOC monitor for additional display
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by madisonfinley on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:12 pm
What? "Notion will not work with VST3 plug-ins."

Oh, my. I stopped installing any plugins that were NOT VST3 a few years ago.

At least now I know why they weren't showing up in Notion. Thanks.

Windows 10, Notion 6, Studio One 5
by colinmold on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:24 pm
Thanks again Chaps.. lots to look at there. :+1
by colinmold on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:29 am
Thanks for your help folks. The Native Instruments bundle works well and will probably entice me to buy some extra sounds. :thumbup:

8 posts
Page 1 of 1