Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
18 posts
Page 1 of 1
The Aliens From Outer Space have been beaming me a partial set of lyrics for months, and this morning--which actually is mid-afternoon--they beamed me the other half of the concept . . . :)

THOUGHTS

For months, I have been singing "The Magic People of the world agree" over and over until I drink enough strong coffee to emerge from what certainly appears to be a dream, with this including a partial melody . . .

It's a catchy melody, but the big question here in the sound isolation studio is "On what do the Magic People of the world agree?" . . .

This morning the answer to the big question appeared, and this is the full phrase:

"The Magic People of the world agree that rhythmic dancing like a honey bee is fun for you and fun for me, so let's do rhythmic dancing like honeybees."

©2020 RAE Mulltimedia. All rights reserved.

With lyrics like these, the song literally composes itself, which is fabulous . . . :P

[NOTE: It's not going to be like "Dark Eyes"--composed nearly 200 years ago--but "Dark Eyes" is an excellent example of combining rhythm, honey bee buzzing, and frantic dancing, which are key aspects of the concept . . . ]

"Dark Eyes" (Yevhen Hrebinka, Sindo Garay) ~ Wikipedia

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Fabulous! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:54 pm
This is the start of the melody . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I might change the key and adjust a few of the notes and cadences, but this is the general melody concept for the phrase "the Magic People of the world agree" . . .

The primary concept for the instrumentation is a combination of (a) frantic rhythms, (b) buzzing, and (c) general stupidity . . .

The "general stupidity" aspect is more a matter of logical absurdity, but it's not so cerebral, which maps to being unconstrained in a constrained way . . .

It might be a new musical genre, since here in the air-conditioned sound isolation studio the idea of composing Stupid songs is vastly intriguing at present in the 21st century, where stupidity is in plentiful abundance . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

The Surf Whammys

by Tmothy on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:09 am
This looks like a great place to start. Do you have bee sounds you can add to it? That would be *ahem* sweet.
Before I buzz out of here I figured I would leave my last example of jazz dance. Didn't place very high ion a recent contest on dance music. A guitarist with good chops won on the merit of that playing.

phpBB [audio]
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:02 pm
Tmothy wroteThis looks like a great place to start. Do you have bee sounds you can add to it? That would be *ahem* sweet.

I have several ways to add buzzing to the song . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Whoosh FX is one way . . .

phpBB [video]

Whoosh FX (UVI)

Violins, sitarsk and other tonally "harsh" instruments--dominant odd harmonics but also even harmonics like flutes--are another way . . .

phpBB [video]

Synthesizers, naturally . . .

Electric guitar and electric bass with effects pedals, of course . . .

phpBB [video]

[NOTE: The fascinating aspect of this song is that John Lennon is playing the guitar phrase and chords at the same time. George Harrison also does it in a few places, which you can hear because the guitar phrase then is doubled which creates a Haas Effect. It's the same general pattern as the rhythm guitar for "Bad Boy", and this is how I discovered they way they do it . . . ]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Yet another way to create buzzing is to combine several of these instruments and techniques in layers . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:48 am
Honey bees actually do rhythmic dancing . . . :)

THOUGHTS

There is method to the madness, and honeybees do rhythmic dancing--called the "Waggle"--to provide real-time mapping and path information to their hive mates for purposes of finding and retrieving tasty flower nectar and pollen . . .

Waggle Dance ~ Wikipedia

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:28 am
Now that most of the historical research is done, I started working on the basic rhythm section . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Or so my conscious mind thought I was doing ("ego" in Freudian terminology) . . .

At first it certainly appeared I was making all the musical decisions; but then what might be described as "talking porpoises" appeared, and I soon realized my unconscious mind ("id" in Freudian terminology) once again was running the show; because "Magic People"at present sounds a lot like a song I composed several years ago and, like the second song from the same time, has a bit of buzzing . . .

phpBB [video]

Around the same time--approximately six years ago--I composed another instrumental song, and it probably will be used as the interlude for "Magic People" or at least parts of it, since it has a bit of buzzing every so often . . .

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

There is one long lyric thus far, and much can be said about the potential for the phrase "magic people" with respect to choruses, bridges, and so forth, since it is at least as powerful as the phrase "row your boat", which as we know today is the primary lyrical phrase for another song in the Stupid genre . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:57 pm
Like Pretend Bob Wills, the Talking Porpoises went away and might not come back . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This is the song development step when the focus is on the basic rhythm section, which for the most part is drums, bass, and rhythm guitar, with a bit of Latin percussion and clavioline, but no Talking Porpoises . . . :mrgreen:

Perhaps later, but for now the focus is on the rhythm section . . .

phpBB [video]

For reference, in the first version I was focusing on a few of the instruments rather than the Gestalt, hence some of the instruments were not so easy to hear . . .

This mix is more balanced, and the general perspective or rule in this respect is that every instrument and vocalist is important--except Talking Porpoises in certain scenarios . . .

Am I suggesting Talking Porpoises are Clowns?

No, but they belong to the same union, which is a clue . . .

Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:47 pm
The Aliens From Outer Space beamed me a new section for "Magic People" . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Initially, I thought it was going to be similar to "Don't Be Cruel" (Elvis Presley), but I decided to do it another way so the tempo is consistent from section to section . . .

[NOTE: One of the interesting bits of information about "Don't Be Cruel" is that Scotty Moore played electric guitar only during the Intro and did not play anywjhere else in the song, because the song only needed the electric guitar Intro, and of course the slowly strummed electric guitar chord at the end of the song for symmetry . . . ]

phpBB [video]

At this point in the development of the song, I am focused on rhythm patters, which in this instance maps to using arbitrary numbers of measures, mostly so I can listen to the same thing over and over without needing to rewind, which is distracting . . .

I think the chorus is 20 measures and the verses are 33 measures, which makes little sense, but so what . . .

Songs in the Stupid musical genre are not required to make sense . . . :P

[NOTE: There is at least one auditory illusion, which occurs on the Hofner Beatle Bass phrase at the start of the song. The actual notes are CCAA, but what you hear are scales, AAACBA. There are no "B" notes, which makes this an interesting audio illusion that continues throughout the song in what at present I am calling the "choruses" . . . ]

phpBB [video]

I do not think there is a logical way to fit the melody to the current basic rhythm section, so this suggests there will be a third section for the melody and that part of the song, which will need to be at a much slower tempo . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 am
I used a few "by ear:" techniques to make the verses less repetitive . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Joseph Schillinger's System of Musical Composition (SoMC)--also called the "Schillinger System"-- is a primary "go to" strategy here in the sound isolation studio; and while I understand nearly nothing about the elaborate music algebra, the great aspect of SoMC is that there are so many different ways to explain its inner workings that one of the ways makes sense . .

It's all about mathematics, geometry, physics, psychology, common sense, and inspiration, where from my perspective the primary utility of SoMC is its ability to provide rules and techniques to make musical puzzle pieces fit together into a Gestalt . . .

For modern music, popular songs, and Stupid songs (of course), it's all about patterns, where there are {Prologue, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Interlude, Epilogue, and so forth} arranged in a pattern or structure . . .

When working with music notation in NOTION and Studio One Professional, this maps to a lot of copying and pasting . . .

Once you have a defined verse and chorus, you can copy and paste the verse and chorus in a pattern and then you have a 3 minute and 30 seconds song which only required composing perhaps 30 or so measures, which you then copy and paste repeatedly . . .

The technique of listing to the current version of a song over-and-over can be perceived as something U.S. Army psyops personnel would use at GITMO to make enemy combatants lose their minds and soon thereafter reveal all the secrets of their paramilitary organizations, and I think the previous version of "Magic People" has potential for such use, especially if it were enhanced with the vocalizations and sounds of Talking Porpoises and Clowns . . .

If called upon to provide this service to protect our great nation from enemies foreign and domestic, i would not hesitate to add a virtual festival of Talking Porpoises and Clowns to virtually song ever composed and recorded or soon to be composed and recorded . . .

However, that's another matter, and it has only a tiny bit of relevance to "Magic People" . . .

The most important aspect of the "by ear" composing technique is listening to the song over-and-over at each step and version . . .

You are not trying to drive yourself insane . . .

No, you are focusing on listening to the song toward the goal of "hearing" more stuff or devising ways to make something rough become smoother . . .

If it's your original song and you have never heard it before, then how can you do anything without taking the time to listen to the song?

It's not possible--even if you are Bach, Beethoven, or Mozart, and at least one of you is stone deaf . . .

So long as you hear the notes in your mind--which many of us do--then there you are . . .

Hearing something reasonably accurate in your mind, combined with a deep and rich set of music theory or some type of composing rules, and you are good to go . . .

This is vastly easier for some folks--and we hate them almost as much as we admire them and want them to be our spirit animals--but it's not so difficult, either . . .

The best example of this comes from one of the strategies I used when I taught myself how to play lead guitar--this particular strategy mapping to playing the same three notes over-and-over for hours or even days at a time until the phrase became intuitive and I could play it rapidly without being distracted by tempo, timing, and all that stuff . . .

[NOTE: This my tribute song to the hottest First Lady in the known universe, Laura Bush, and it's one of my early Stupid genre songs . . . :P ]

phpBB [video]

You might think that playing a three-note triplet over-and-over is easy, but (a) it's syncopated and (b) if you have any intuitive sense of rhythm, meter, temp, and timing, then everything about repetitive three-note tuples screams "this is wrong on so many levels it should be prohibited by international and intergalactic treaties and general consensus, graciousness, and deep respect for everything that is good and noble"--but so what . . .

phpBB [video]

Instead of having a perspective hallmarked by "that sounds terrible" and variations thereof, you make progress with the perspective which suggests "that phrase will be excellent when played by a horn section rather than a lead guitar", and "that phrase probably is a theme or at least important counterpoint" . . .

Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:52 am
I drank a lot of Dr. Pepper® soda pop; slept for a while; drank a lot of coffee; and did some singing and added a horn section . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Unless the Aliens From Outer Space beam me more lyrics, the vocal melody and lyrics for the song are complete, which tends to suggest there will be a lot of mumbling, screaming, and assorted vocal utterances . . .

There certainly will be a lot of Realivox Blue (RealiTone), my favorite virtual female soprano . . .

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:32 am
Great singers have velvet tone and perfect pitch. The rest of us have the Melodyne Editor and effects plug-ins . . . :+1

THOUGHTS

As I have been doing for quite a while, I practice singing lyrics and a melody for a few minutes and then do it . . .

I like the spontaneity that comes from having no actual idea what the melody might be until the red light goes ON and it's what in the Deep South we call "Come to Jesus!" time when decisions must be made in real-time on the fly, which is one of the reasons I like concrete . . .

The horn section is improved and the incorrect offset for one of the paste actions is corrected

phpBB [video]

In addition to Realivox Blue (RealiTone), my favorite virtual female soprano, I think the song needs a Hammond B-3 organ with Leslie rotating loudspeaker cabinet or a Mark 79 electric piano (a.k.a. "Fender Rhodes") to add some "round" tones . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:59 pm
The previous version was too complex for a Stupid song, so I simplified it . . . :)

THOUGHTS

It also was too long, so I used the "Déjà vu" technique, which in Joseph Schillinger's System of Musical Composition (SoMC) as I understand it maps to copying the simplified song and then pasting it at the end, which naturally creates a Déjà vu experience in the novice listener's mind . . .

It's completely and totally stupid, but this is one of the hallmarks of the Stupid musical genre . . .

Sure, you and I know it's just doing the same thing two times; but we are sophisticated composers, musicians, singers, and theorists . . . :P

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:08 pm
I was offline and without electric service for a few days due to Hurricane Laura, but everything is working now . . . :+1

THOUGHTS

I was pondering the idea of getting a portable electric generator, but the perspective of the local "grape vine" was that electric power would be restored here in a few days, which was the case . . .

When it got too hot, I sat in the Lincoln Towncar and listened to iHeart FM radio, while enjoying the superb air-conditioning . . .

I had made plenty of ice in advance, and the fact of the matter is that when there is no electric service in hot summer, ice is more valuable than gold--perhaps even literally . . .

The electric service was restored early Saturday night, and broadband cable was restores sometime Sunday afternoon or evening . . .

During this time I continued working on "Magic People", but in my head since there was no electric service; and among other things, the lyrics for a new verse, chorus, or bridge appeared, although the duration and cadence tends to make it a verse . . . .

"The Magic People of the world agree
That rhythmic dancing like honeybees
Is fun for you and fun for me
So let's do rhythmic dancing like honeybees

Rhythmic dancing really makes me buzz
Like no other dancing ever does
So let's buzz and buzz, and buzz some more
With rhythmic dancing like honeybees"

©2020 RAE Multimedia. All rights reserved.

One of the local FM radio stations plays songs from the 1980s and 1990s; and based on this review of musical history, I am going to swap the current horn section for a synthesizer, which has great potential for being very consistent with my new Stupid musical genre . . .

iHeart FM Radio tends to play more current songs, but it also plays some older Heavy Metal songs . . .

I notice a lot of stupidity in new songs, and I am starting to wonder if some of these musical groups are getting their Stupid musical genre ideas from my posts to this forum . . . :P

Or perhaps it's the other way around, and I am becoming highly attuned to the vast stupidity of the so-called "Modern Music" the "Youth of Today" enjoy when they are procreating, which all things considered is their primary activity . . .

I have no definitive idea about this validity of this hypothesis, but regardless I think reasonable people cannot fail to observe an increasing level of stupidity in music . . .

Yet, when one rolls back the clock, it is not so difficult to find stellar examples of truly Stupid music . . .

[NOTE: I like this performance, because it respects the honeybee "buzzing" aspect of the song . . . ]

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:57 am
I added the second verse and did some orchestrating, arranging, and producing . . . :)

THOUGHTS

The horn section was not working, so I removed it and replaced it with a Hammond B-3 organ . . .

Along the way, I added electric guitar counterpoint to accompany the singing and adjusted the mix . . .

phpBB [video]

There is more to do, but it's coming along nicely and is beginning to become a truly Stupid song . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:35 am
I revised the structure of the song and added a chorus, which might be an interlude, as well as more elaborate drumkit parts . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I like the verses, but the original structure with the extended instrumental sections was too complex and didn't make a lot of sense, even though it's a Stupid song; so I thought about it for a week or two and the idea for the choruses or interludes appeared, which makes the song all the more Stupid . . .
phpBB [video]

The new structure is simpler, which maps to being able to add more Stupid stuff and certainly will include Realivox Blue (RealiTone) singing something Stupid, as well as some Stupid sounds and noises, of course . . .

At present, the new version is about 2 minutes and 30 seconds, which was a good length in the 1950s but now is a bit short, so there might be a bridge in the middle between the first chorus and the second verse, although it might be an interlude rather than a bridge, mostly because (a) the new sections probably are choruses rather than interludes and (b) I;m not so clear on what a bridge actually is, but I think a bridge is shorter than an interlude, which can be as long as I want it to be. . .

I might split the interlude into two parts and then have a bridge between them . . . :+1

It's already pretty Stupid, but I think it can be even more Stupid . . . :P

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:42 pm
I updated the drumkit and added a cowbell and güiro . . . :)

THOUGHTS

When I did the previous version I got a bit tickled by the new choruses--which are totally Stupid-- and forgot to update the drumkit for the second verse . . .

While correcting the drumkit part for the second verse, I decided to add some syncopated kick drum accents to the breaks and then added a cowbell and güiro . . .

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:43 pm
The local broadband cable service was offline for a few days due to a fiber optic problem, but I worked on "Magic People" offline and made some progress . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I added a third verse, which actually is the first verse repeated, and then did some composing, arranging, and producing . . .

phpBB [video]

The "Magic People" aspect is dominant in this version, so it needs to be balanced with "Rhythmic Dancing" and "Honeybees", perhaps with a completely and totally Stupid extended interlude . . .

I like the "L.A. Woman" (Doors) feel of the percussion and electric bass guitar during the choruses, so that's a possibility to expand in a truly Stupid way . . .

phpBB [video]

After thinking about it for a few minutes, now that there are three verses with matching choruses, the easy way to do it is to focus the middle chorus on "Rhythmic Dancing" and "Honeybees", which has great potential for being vastly Stupid, since the "r" of "rhythmic" and "h" of "honeybee" can be done like "Hound Dog" (Elvis Presley)--uvular trills--and "A Big Hunk O' Love" (Elvis Presley)--guttural . . . :P

[NOTE: The voiced uvular trill on the "h" of "hound dog" is most obvious at 1:59 in the song. How did Elvis know to do voiced uvular trills? It's mind-boggling . . . ]

Voiced Uvular Trill ~ Wikipedia

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 pm
I slept all day and after awaking decided to do the new singing for the middle chorus . . . :)

THOUGHTS

In the spirit of being as spontaneous as possible, I enjoyed a few sips of Coca-Cola; did a few uvular trills; and then recorded the new middle chorus one time on the first take, which is as spontaneous as it gets here in the sound isolation studio . . .

Sometime in the future, music historians will wonder, "How did Surf compose and perform in real-time with such originality and precision?", but there will be no answer to their question other than, "It's a Stupid song." . . . :P

phpBB [video]

After recording the new middle chorus, I increased the volume level of the deep bass by 1dB with the Saturn (FabFilter Software Instruments) mastering plug-in, which has a very nice affect on the way YouTube processes the audio . . .

Next on the schedule is adding Realivox Blue (RealiTone), a bit of buzzing, and perhaps some whooshes with Whoosh FX (UVI), a few custom user-defined stutters (Stutter Edit [iZotope), and whatever the Aliens From Outer Space beam into my brain, should they decide to do so . . .

With each new version, the song is becoming increasingly Stupid . . .

The Surf Whammys

18 posts
Page 1 of 1