Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
While making selections from the symbols palette Notion defaults to a white ( the score) and grey background on my PC. This almost makes my pointer and some symbols disappear when I drag them across the screen.
Is there a way to highlight the selections until they are landed at their correct places?
I literally lost my pointer a few times against the white score background.
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:46 pm
Tmothy wroteWhile making selections from the symbols palette Notion defaults to a white ( the score) and grey background on my PC. This almost makes my pointer and some symbols disappear when I drag them across the screen.
Is there a way to highlight the selections until they are landed at their correct places?
I literally lost my pointer a few times against the white score background.

Look in NOTION Preferences for "Theme" . . . :)

THOUGHTS

phpBB [video]

NOTION has three themes, (a) default, (b) Dark, and (c) Parchment . . .

Try the Parchment theme and see if it helps . . .

Another possibility is to experiment with the various Accessibility features of your selected operating system (macOS or Windows) . . .

Both operating systems have Accessibility features, which on the Mac include options based on specific vision conditions . . .

On the Mac, the Accessibility options are found in System Preferences (right-click on the Apple icon at the top-left corner of the screen, and a menu appears where you can select and start System Preferences) . . .

Here in the sound isolation studio, I am using an Apple 30" Cinema HD Display from 2004 that I found on eBay a few months ago for $250 plus shipping, and sometimes it's nearly impossible to see the mouse pointer . . .

In System Preferences in the Accessibility section, there is a set of options for the Mouse, and one of them makes the mouse pointer big when you shake the mouse . . .

I use this accessibility option for the mouse, and when I can't see the mouse pointer, I "shake" the mouse and the mouse pointer gets big for a second or so--long enough to find it . . .

It's in the Display section and is the option to "Shake mouse pointer to locate" . . .

There also are various ways to make the screen easier to see, but some of the options are for more extreme vision difficulties . . .

I also use a mouse pointer utility application, but mostly for doing YouTube videos . . .

There is a "Zoom It" utility that turns the mouse pointer into a magnifying glass; and there is one called "PinPoint" that creates an outline around the mouse pointer, as shown in this YouTube video . . .

These are paid products, and you can get them from the Apple App Store or online via searching, since they probably have websites where you can download after purchasing . . .

As I recall, they are about $25 to $50, and I find them helpful for various activities . . .

It will work similarly in the Windows universe . . .

There are hotkeys that toggle the mouse pointer enhancements (ON or OFF) . . .

Both of them allow you to define your own hotkeys or shortcuts for this purpose . . .

phpBB [video]

PinPoint has various options, and I like option to have a red circle around the mouse pointer . . .

There are other mouse pointer utility applications for the Mac, and there are similar mouse pointer utilities in the Windows universe . . .

One or more of these options, themes, and so forth should be helpful; so experiment with them to get a sense of what they do . . .

As a word of caution, if you are experimenting with the option to make portions of the display very large, be certain to find how to turn stuff OFF . . .

I was experimenting with making the Desktop vastly larger, and it go so large that a period or a comma looked the size of a baseball or even a basketball; but since I forgot how to turn it OFF, it took quite a while to move the mouse pointer to the OFF button--perhaps 15 minutes or longer, since in the extreme setting, stuff gets nearly absurdly big . . .

It zooms-in to the level that a single word is the size of the entire display--perhaps even larger . . .

SUMMARY

Try the Parchment theme for NOTION, and if you are on the Mac, then set the shake option to make it easier to find the mouse pointer . . . .

Try some of the other Accessibility options . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. You can make staves and notes larger via zooming in NOTION, which is another thing I do . . .

NOTION does not remember zoom settings; so you need to zoom to the desired setting each time you open a NOTION score, but there are hotkeys for doing this; and it's as easy as doing cut, copy, and paste actions (press two keys, and you can zoom-in or zoom-out) . . .

On the Mac, in the Mouse section of System Preferences there is an option to use the mouse to zoom-in and to zoom-out via tapping on the mouse . . .

For reference, I did software engineering in Windows for two decades, starting in early-1987, and on the Mac starting about 20 years ago; so I know about accessibility and usability options . . .

Generally there are three classes of these things (system level, application level, and specific accessibility level), which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Tmothy on Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 pm
Thank you Surf Whammy,

Many useful suggestions and most helpful. :+1

I'll keep it short. Hurricane came through here. Computer went down three times. Not sure how long I'll have it this time.
by Surf.Whammy on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:22 pm
Tmothy wroteThank you Surf Whammy,

Many useful suggestions and most helpful. :+1

I'll keep it short. Hurricane came through here. Computer went down three times. Not sure how long I'll have it this time.

If you're worried about lightning strikes, then get an ISOBAR Surge Protector . . . :)

THOUGHTS

When the electric service goes out in a gracious way, no harm done--other than being offline and after a while not having ice--but when there is a nearby lightning strike, it's a different matter . . . .

I use Tripp-Lite ISOBAR Surge Protectors here in the sound isolation studio, and they are excellent . . .

They have heavy-duty components, and they are designed to fail catastrophically when there is a lightning strike . . .

They take the hit instead of your computer and audio equipment; and they have $50,000 insurance in case they don't protect your computer and audio equipment, which is a clue that they rarely do not protect computers and audio equipment . . .

They also have backup power and line-conditioner units . . .

There is detailed information at the Tripp-Lite website (see link below) . . .

Tripp-Lite

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. After being in the path of a hurricane more than a few times, where electric service was out for several weeks, the single most important thing to have is a gasoline, diesel, or natural gas powered electric generator--which you always keep outside the house . . .

[NOTE: The eye of Hurricane Rita went directly over the house. 100 to 150 mph winds for 12 hours before and after, but about 1 hour of surreal calm. Electric power was out for several weeks, but I had plenty of gasoline and a very nice electric generator, so there was ice . . . :+1 ]

I drilled a hole in the wall to run the electric extension cord from the electric generator to the inside of the house, which worked nicely and avoided carbon monoxide poisoning . . .

Why is this important?

One word: ice . . .

Most folks never appreciate having ice until there is no ice available anywhere . . .

Food, water, medicine, and all that stuff is important, but when it's summer and hot, ice is like gold . . .

With an electric generator, you can run the refrigerator and make your own ice . . .

If it has enough power, you also can run at least one window air-conditioner and the computers in your music studio, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Tmothy on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:00 am
Thanks for all of that information Surf Whammy. Yes I definitely need to get more protection for my gear. In my studio I have both power surge and RF filtration. I forget the make. It was fairly expensive for a power strip. I don't have battery backup though.

Fortunately the power failures were at another computer and location totally not anywhere near my studio.

At home I have a 5500 watt generator. Largest issue in keeping it functional is rodents occasionally in my storage shed and keeping fresh fuel in it. I have fuel stabilizer in the tank which helps. I have only needed it maybe two or three times for short term use in the last 10 years. I use the back feed method into a 30 amp breaker. The 5500 watts is enough to power my well pump, a few lights and my fridge. In an emergency it could also power my propane furnace. My hot water is a large point of use instant water heater. Too much current so it's a COLD shower. I installed gas appliances last year instead of electric ones. I won't loose the ability to cook. Alternately I could heat water for a bath that way as well. I have a few stand alone gas heating appliances just in case it happens to be winter and i loose power. We don't often loose power here. Occasionally it happens though. In that case I'm probably going to my laptop for any audio work.

I ran new underground electric service to my house last year. Had a guy digging a hole to the patch point. I said to him " Hey you're getting very close to the electric line". Right as I said it POW. He hit one of the three legs into the house. That was a lot of fun.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1