Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I cannot believe that Notion 6 still does not record pedal sustain!
How long do we have to wait before this ever gets implemented?

Also, Piano recordings done in Studio One with sustain pedal are stripped when sending to Notion 6. This is ridiculous, to be honest!

Studio One Professional v4.6.1, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Catalina, Presonus 192, DP88, RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Event Opal monitors. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by Deb76 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:27 pm
It is indeed amazing that the "pedal" is not active on a Vsti as Pianoteq while other accents are taken into account on Notion. It is even unforgivable. Where is the problem and it is possible to get an answer?
by Funkybot on Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:10 pm
I'm glad you guys posted this. I was thinking about upgrading, but honestly, between the way the integration currently works with S1, which is less than ideal, and this huge issue still outstanding, I may just go and find a different notation solution entirely. The more and more I use Notion 5, the more I find it's eccentricities frustrating. I'd rather just have very basic notation built into Studio One, and use something else for more serious work.
by shihweichoo on Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:05 am
I am a Notion 5 user. I would really like the pedal ability build into N6 please. It was a very rude surprise for me to find out I could not record my pedaling into N5. I can't upgrade to N6 if this very important basic feature is not implemented.

Studio One 3, Sonar Platinum, Reason 10. O8N2, lots of IK t-racks, Waves Gold. Tons of piano vst, synth vst, KU10 and AD2. Win 7 64bit, i7 CPU, 14Gig RAM and Focusrite 18i8.
by Sodium on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:48 am
Funkybot wroteI'm glad you guys posted this. I was thinking about upgrading, but honestly, between the way the integration currently works with S1, which is less than ideal, and this huge issue still outstanding, I may just go and find a different notation solution entirely. The more and more I use Notion 5, the more I find it's eccentricities frustrating. I'd rather just have very basic notation built into Studio One, and use something else for more serious work.

I hear you man, i didn't know that Notion doesn't support the sustain pedal but in the same order of idea, the drum notation not being mapped to standard values for midi export or use of VSTs is a heavy pain in the bleep, hard to understand in a 150€ software.

Intel i7 6700k
12go DDR4 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
by brundle-fly on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:32 pm
This is very disappointing. The lack of CC64 recording and the improper handling of pedal markings on playback were the first issues I encountered and posted about on the forum shortly after picking up Notion3 to use with SONAR.

If I didn't know better (and I don't), I would have to think there's some showstopping issue with the architecture of Notion's MIDI engine that's preventing developers from addressing this basic shortcoming without a major re-design.

I upgraded to N5 primarily to get 48kHz support despite my disappointment that the Sustain issues were not addressed. As my notation needs are otherwise quite basic, I don't think think there's anything in N6 that I can't live without. MIDI via Rewire would be convenient, but it's easily worked around with a virtual MIDI cable, and at this point I feel like I need to stop upgrading out of principle until they address this.

Studio One 3 Pro, Notion 5, Cakewalk by Bandlab
2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424 (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
by deanesque on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:57 pm
It's been that way for many years. At this point I have to believe that Notion will never be able to correctly handle a piano. But, of course, piano is a fringe instrument that no one ever really uses and it's certainly not necessary for something like composing. :cry:

Win 8.1/64, 16GB RAM, 254TB SSD system drive. 2TB audio drive, 2TB sample library drive, Studio One 3, Notion 6, Cubase 9, Sonar 2016, Too many instrument and FX plugins to mention.
by patricemazmanian on Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:10 pm
deanesque wroteIt's been that way for many years. At this point I have to believe that Notion will never be able to correctly handle a piano. But, of course, piano is a fringe instrument that no one ever really uses and it's certainly not necessary for something like composing. :cry:

Yes the literature of the piano is extremely small. Very few composers became interested ... ;)

S1 pro 4.6 x64 - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win8 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - MIDI Interface Motu MIDI Express 128

http://mazmusic.free.fr/
by rodrigointinimarques on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 pm
I am sorry if I am resurrecting a very old post. We are in March 2020, the coronavirus pandemic age.
Is there still no way to record, import, or play with a sustain pedal in Notion 6.6.478 64-bit? I switched to Studio One from Pro Tools and I am very happy with it. Last night I downloaded Notion 6 DEMO and today I started trying it by importing some MIDI to start working on a song. I lost the whole day believing something was wrong with my workflow. But it was the software.
This single feature for me is paramount. No sustain pedal record, import or play means it doesn't work for me, sadly.
I am in shock as I really saw this issue is being posted here in the forums since 2011. I cannot believe it. To me Presonus was a super cool company. Why would they not care about such a basic feature in their only notation software?
If this is my mistake, then please let me know so I can apologise. Otherwise, please confirm I am not crazy, and the feature indeed doesn't exist.

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) for Workstations, Version 1909, Build 18363.592, Studio One Professional 4.6.1.55987
by Bbd on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 pm
The feature does not exist today. Maybe in the future but I am not a developer so I don't know. I too would like to see this happen but even without it, I find great value in the program.

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 4.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM
by rodrigointinimarques on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:45 pm
Thank you so much for replying so quickly. At least now I can stop looking for a solution.
I too hope it gets implemented soon.
I am sure you are right and the program is a great value indeed. I did not mean to say otherwise at all.
I am a Presonus customer using Studio One and Faderport 8 and would love to use Notion. But perhaps I will have to wait a bit more.
Thank you so much again for your kind reply.
Edit: I was going to ask if anyone knows of a software that would record the sustain pedal data. But today I downloaded Dorico 3 SE (the free version) and it does import the piano sustain pedal information just fine. So I can use it while I wait for Notion to have this feature. Thank you again.

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) for Workstations, Version 1909, Build 18363.592, Studio One Professional 4.6.1.55987

11 posts
Page 1 of 1