AudioBox 1818VSL, 44VSL and 22VSL
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
After nearly twelve years of service my 1818VSL is producing a disturbing and fairly loud whine. It comes form the unit itself and does not appear on the recordings other than if captured by a microphone.

I have opened the unit but go no wiser than just to note that there is no fan that could be the culprit.

Is there anyone with a similar experience? I myself am leaning towards a component that is about to pack in.

Johan Hackman
Last edited by Johan Hackman on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
by SwitchBack on Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:32 am
The 1818VSL has an internal power supply, right? Then most likely the resin inside the high-frequency power transformer dried out, allowing the windings to resonate with the SMPS frequency. A new transformer should fix it. Or maybe a handy person with resin and a vacuum pump can restore the transformer to its silent youth :)
by Johan Hackman on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:03 am
The power supply is actually external but jerking the connector a bit changed the noise so you may be on to something anyway.

Another thing I noticed is that the noise gets louder when something is played back. Weird.

Johan
by SwitchBack on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 am
Still makes sense. The interface probably has a boost converter inside to convert the DC input voltage to the different voltages used inside the interface. When power demand raises the converter has to work harder so the coil(s) when noisy will make more noise. Same will happen when the DC input voltage drops. So check the connector and cable first, before taking the interface apart :)

4 posts
Page 1 of 1