AudioBox 1818VSL, 44VSL and 22VSL
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just got this hardware yesterday, and I'm significantly miffed that ONLY customers with CERTAIN equipment get to have telephone support. :x :x :thumbdown: :thumbdown: As for my question, my brand new 1818VSL plays fine from all of my DAW s'ware as far as playing softsynth VST's. However, when I try to play sounds from my ext keybd the MIDI signal gets to the DAW, AND something that only happens when I play from this source is that the 2 ch. LED's that it's plugged into (Ch. 7 & 8) go RED when I play notes. I've checked everything like turning those channels up to 1/2-way. My keybd Vol. is up. It can't be the cables since if the ch. LED's are turning red then OBVIOUSLY they are getting a signal. I've also listened to the hdphone output on my keybd and it's working as well. I even checked the 1818VSL manual to try and find out what the RED LED's mean, but I couldn't find anything. I've also plugged a mic into the same 7 & 8 ch.s inputs and it works fine. I also changed out the 1/4" cable from my keybd but that still had same result, no sound, no lights too. I was thinking that I may have the MIDI setup done backwards, but I tested that last night, and tried reversing what I had, but then I didn't even have the MIDI signal getting to the DAW, but it would appear that's where the issue is. I know nothing is wrong with the keyboard as well because it was working fine with my Alesis I/O 26. PLEASE HELP.

i7-12650H CPU, 32Gig RAM/Win 11 Pro. PreSonus 1824C, Native Instr S88 Mk1, ATOM SQ, PreSonus Sphere, Sonar Platinum, SampleTank4, BIAB 2023.
by jpettit on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm
georgelea wrote1) my brand new 1818VSL plays fine from all of my DAW s'ware as far as playing softsynth VST's. However, when I try to play sounds from my ext keybd the MIDI signal gets to the DAW, AND something that only happens when I play from this source is that the 2 ch. LED's that it's plugged into (Ch. 7 & 8) go RED when I play notes.

2) I've checked everything like turning those channels up to 1/2-way. My keybd Vol. is up. It can't be the cables since if the ch. LED's are turning red then OBVIOUSLY they are getting a signal. I've also listened to the hdphone output on my keybd and it's working as well.

3) I've also plugged a mic into the same 7 & 8 ch.s inputs and it works fine.

I4) also changed out the 1/4" cable from my keybd but that still had same result, no sound, no lights too.

5) I was thinking that I may have the MIDI setup done backwards, but I tested that last night, and tried reversing what I had, but then I didn't even have the MIDI signal getting to the DAW, but it would appear that's where the issue is.

I know nothing is wrong with the keyboard as well because it was working fine with my Alesis I/O 26.

What DAW are you using?

1) What channel do you have the output of your external instrument stereo out plugged into on the 1818?

2) Do you have Channels 7/8 routed to the main out via UC software?

5) Are you able to record the MIDI in on your DAW?

Also are you on a Mac or Windows?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by georgelea on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:18 pm
Thanks JPettit,

I need to check my "Notify" box. To respond to your questions.

What DAW are you using?
I'm using SO3.5 latest build. Also, I've updated s'ware, firmware, EVERYTHING. However, I have same issue on Sonar Platinum, but I'll just deal with SO3 for now
1) What channel do you have the output of your external instrument stereo out plugged into on the 1818?
My Main Out from my keybd is going into the ch.s 7 & 8 on the 1818. I've also tried the other channels as well, and I've tried plugging in a mic on both ch.s 7 & 8 and it worked fine. Then, I tried a different 1/4" cable from my keybd to both ch. 7 & 8 and that did NOT work either. Finally, I know the keybd is sending out signal because I can plug hdphones into each ch. and get sound there as well.
2) Do you have Channels 7/8 routed to the main out via UC software?
Yes. It says MAIN in the 1818 diagram
5) Are you able to record the MIDI in on your DAW?
I can see the MIDI signal level meter on that Instrument track move accordingly to when I play
Also are you on a Mac or Windows? Win7 64Bit.

Hope that helps. Thanks again for help.

i7-12650H CPU, 32Gig RAM/Win 11 Pro. PreSonus 1824C, Native Instr S88 Mk1, ATOM SQ, PreSonus Sphere, Sonar Platinum, SampleTank4, BIAB 2023.
by jpettit on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:19 pm
It has been 5 years for me since I used 1818VSL.
There was special routing for 7/8 if I recall, but I think that was to send headphone outs.

Open a support ticket. You may have a bad unit.

In the meantime post, some pictures of how you have UC set up to route things.
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27616

SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by georgelea on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:48 pm
Dude, I spent 30 mins trying to crop the pics I have of the screenshot of my track view, and the Input diagram (Song Setup) view, and the front of the 1818 view, and this sorry forum won't accept the sizes I have, but they're as small as I can get and still be of any use to you. :x :x

Oh! But I was going to say that those outputs from my keybd played fine when I had my Alesis I/O connected. Something else that's not happening now, but was when I first started testing it. I saw the LED's for 7 & 8 going red whenever I would play the keybd. I thought it might be a signal overload, but I only had those channels turned up 1/2 way, and the keybd maybe 1/2 - 3/4 way. The Master was only about 1/2 way as well, but the Output meter to far right (by the phones knob weren't registering at all. I looked all over the ref manual for any troubleshooting tips re: red LEDs but never found anything.

Thanks

by jpettit on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:39 pm
Actually what we need to see is on your computer screen and should be captured with screenshots.

You most likely have something in correctly configured in universal controller.
Use the link I gave you to download free tools to get screenshots.

Long videos can be posted to YouTube if you want to show something in a video format.

by cristofe on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:01 pm
I know nothing is wrong with the keyboard as well because it was working fine with my Alesis I/O 26.

The Alesis is a Firewire device....comparing it to a USB device, especially one as complicated as the 1818VSL is an apples to oranges comparison. It could be any number of things. Have you disabled wi-fi? Are you plugged into a USB2 or USB3 port? Did you install the drivers from the included disc? Or did you download and use the latest drivers from this site? That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

If you still can't get it up and running I suggest you open a support ticket. They'll get you sorted out.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by georgelea on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:05 pm
Sorry Christof,

I'm usually good about creating an equipment signature. Just forgot about it with the Presonus. I DID have all of those issues that you mentioned taken care of, though.

Thanks,

by georgelea on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 pm
Guys, I believe I have 2 bad ch.s in my unit. I won't go thru the whole litany all over again as I passed the issue on to PreSonus support. Essentially, it DOES play and record MIDI AND Analog, (and VST's) on all 1818 Input channels BUT 7&8. And that's also the case with Sonar Platinum.

by georgelea on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm
Thanks for all the help.

by cristofe on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:29 pm
You're more than welcome.....it's why we're here! :+1 I hope Tech Support can get you sorted out!!

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1