AudioBox 1818VSL, 44VSL and 22VSL
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
I hate to bump this but I noticed 26 people have looked at it with no answer. Is it a dumb question? If so I'd appreciate someone pointing out me how it's dumb. :D

Hi, I am trying to figure out how the Windows Audio mixer and the 1818VSL work together. The issue is that the output is insanely loud, like prickly sweat hair standing up loud. So I guess what I am looking for is how to set the gains for each stage and also at what stage those gains might take place.

I dont use the 1818VSL mixer when using Cubase as I can do all my routing and monitoring without it. So this is how I think the signal chain runs my setup:
    Source: Cubase
    Main gain control: Windows Mixer
    Final output gain: MR5 amp volume

Cubase's main out is currently set to -30db, Windows is set 100%, and the MR5s are set to 50%. To be able to put Cubase's main out at 0db I have to set Windows to be at 20%. It doesn't appear to change the sound at all. But I'd hate for Windows to reset that mixer to 100% for some reason (because Windows) and blow my speakers one day. Maybe I am paranoid but I'd probably be checking the Windows mixer before running any audio source which could be a little tedious.

So obviously I am a little out in the weeds. How do you set your volumes?

Thanks for any advice and pointers.

Windows 10(64bit, 8GB RAM, i5-4570 CPU)
Cubase 9
Universal Control (1.8.3.40882)
Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL (firmware 1.48)
by danielhuber on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:25 am
You can try this:

Open Windows Audio Options (Control Panel, Audio)
Locate you AB1818VSL Output 1/2 in Playback tab and mark as Standard communication device

2 posts
Page 1 of 1