AudioBox 1818VSL, 44VSL and 22VSL
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm interested in IF the Audiobox 1818VSL will support the role of a Live mixer and HOW this would be configured firmware and software wise if it can.

I'll be using my MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, macOS Sierra 10.11.6, 4GB Memory, 275GB Solid State Internal Disk to control it. Mix output should be able handle mains and up to three monitor mixes.

Thanks for your time and expertise,
Pat

Presonus Studio One Professional 4.6.2.58729, Presonus Studio One Professional 6.5.0.96106, Presonus Universal Control 4.1.0.93124
Presonus Quantum 2626, M-Audio BX5a Monitors, Crown XLS Amps, KEF Monitor Speakers
Mac Studio (2022) M1 Max, macOS Ventura 13.5.2, 32GB Memory, 4.0TB TB3 External Disk
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 4GB Memory, 275GB Solid State Internal Disk, 500GB External SATA Glyph
iPad Pro 9.7-inch (32GB, Wi-Fi)
by mikemanthei on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 pm
I think that's a perfectly usable job for this product. I would skip any integration with Studio One and just use the software that came with the early driver.... unless of course you wanted to do some live recording of the event.

You'll have 8 mic inputs and 8 more ADAT lightpipe I/O to supplement that... although I was disappointed that the lightpipe outputs were not available as VSL (zero latency) outputs. But if an 8 chnl mixer would work, then this piece of hardware will too.

But at the very least even if you don't use any lightpipe, you'll have a stereo mains output, and 3 stereo monitors/headphone/earbud mixes available..whether you use the "Audiobox" software or Studio one to control it.

The VSL1818 software assumes stereo headphone outputs instead of mono monitors, so you can tell it's not really designed as a live mixer hardware device, but I believe it will work. I have been tempted to use it myself in that capacity when I really wanted to just bring a single-rack-space device and a laptop to mix with...

In fact, I might still have a chance to do that in the coming months, and if that's the case, I'll report back with my findings on it's usability as a small field mixer.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S

2 posts
Page 1 of 1