AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
At the moment I use my audiobox USB as a preamp for my acoustic guitar, and the outputs go straight into my PA amp. I don't record with my computer, but use it only as a power source for the Audiobox USB.
I was wondering if there would be another way to power the Audiobox, so that I don't have hook it up to the computer..?
by cristofe on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:45 pm
I don't record with my computer, but use it only as a power source for the Audiobox USB.

It doesn't matter if you're recording or not. Your Audiobox MUST be connected to a computer to function. It cannot be used as a standalone preamp. If you need something along those lines I suggest you check out a Presonus TubePre:

http://www.presonus.com/products/TubePre-V2

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by pauldawson on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:39 pm
Appreciate your time Cristofe...

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Audio Box works perfectly well as a preamp when fed with a USB power supply, like an iPad charger (5.1 volt - 2A).
The only other thing the connection to the computer achieves is an audio signal for recording purposes - this can even be turned off by turning the mixer knob fully anticlockwise.
I think Presonus is fully aware of this capability (even intimated this in a reply to my question), but don't want to make this known so as not to reduce sales of their more, shall we way - "appropriate products" which you're quite obviously doing.
So, just to sum up - the Audiobox IS quite a capable (standalone) preamp that can also be used as an audio interface...
:)
by salvadoredelle on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:28 pm
but why? it's not all that great as a preamp... if you have a PA system a good quality D/I box direct into a mic input will be a cleaner solution...

if you showed up to my stage with an audio box like that... i'd have to slap you around a little just for fun and then get you connected like a real man.

Now Here... have a smiley face... :lol:

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by pauldawson on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:43 pm
Ha Ha!

Salvadoredelle - I should have been a little more clearer, sorry.
I use the Audiobox for my (preamp-less) acoustic guitar (which has a K&K Pure Mini pickup installed) as I needed an extra input - so the Audio box was the likely candidate. It goes from the Audio box into a summing mixer, then through my 31 band EQ, then through my Presonus Bluetube V2 preamp, then to my Crown 2000 PA stereo amp.
It actually sounds fantastic!
However my sound was amplified was never the question - it was whether the Audio box could be used as a standalone preamp - which it can.
Appreciate your view - but then audio is a subjective thing, and for me the result is nothing short of crazy good!!
Cheers - have a smiley on me..! :D
by cristofe on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:32 am
but don't want to make this known so as not to reduce sales of their more, shall we way - "appropriate products" which you're quite obviously doing.

First of all I'm not "quite obviously doing" anything. I'm not an employee of Presonus. You asked a question and I attempted to answer it to the best of my knowledge. If, as you claim, the AB does work this way then I stand corrected. HOWEVER, I would have had absolutely NO reason to believe that this was the case! The AB USB was "quite obviously" not designed for this purpose. If it was then it would have an input jack for an ac adapter which it does not. Furthermore the Audiobox VSL series does not function without being connected to a computer so I, incorrectly, assumed this was also the case with AB USB.

My bad. :roll:

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by frankiefish on Fri May 01, 2020 1:51 pm
How are you using it as a standalone preamp? I can't even get the dang thing to give me enough volume to record.
by cristofe on Sat May 02, 2020 12:05 pm
I doubt you'll get a reply from the OP this is a FIVE year old zombie thread! :mrgreen:

by harryheidelk on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:14 am
Would I b crazy to add another pre amp plug into my audio interface 96 for better audio recording... would rather upgrade my rig then get a whole new set up. Wanting to get better and cleaner sound from mic to the computer
by cristofe on Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:23 am
Crazy? Not at all! Any interface can benefit from an external preamp PROVIDED it is actually a higher quality preamp than those in the interface itself. Not that the 96's pres are bad but there are certainly MANY standalone preamps that are better and would improve your sound. And added benefit is that a standalone preamp can be used in more applications than an audio interface.
For one thing it does not need a computer to do what it was designed for. It just makes for a more versatile setup than simply getting a new interface. AND when you do finally get a new interface you'll still have that fine preamp!

That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW, make and model of your audio interface etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

by jimford on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:10 pm
frankiefish wroteHow are you using it as a standalone preamp? I can't even get the dang thing to give me enough volume to record.

Yes, yes, yes this is a stand-alone mixer with an iphone or other 5 watt wall wort power source. I have used this in many situations over the years. Usually, I have added it to powered PA systems, giving a pair of mic inputs to drive up the gain in input. Really handy to have for this.

The only downside which could be an upside is that the mixer output is mono. As in, both outputs carry the two input mics as a mono signal. This is actually good if you are going to a mono setup. You still have the channel gains to very the input for each channel. But when used with a laptop or iPad you would get left and right from the outputs. My current use is as follows. I have a bass amp with one mic/instrument channel and one instrument only channel. I plug my bass mic into the xlr mic channel. Then I plug the output of the Audiobox USB into the instrument only channel. The result is that I end up with up to three Mic inputs or four instrument inputs.

My Audiobox is now over 10 years old. I can’t trust that newer models my have defeated this usage. For example, this setup does not work on a Scarlett Focusrite, that one has to be plugged into a computer or iPad.
by jimford on Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:42 pm
salvadoredelle wrotebut why? it's not all that great as a preamp... if you have a PA system a good quality D/I box direct into a mic input will be a cleaner solution...

if you showed up to my stage with an audio box like that... i'd have to slap you around a little just for fun and then get you connected like a real man.

No I disagree in fact at a gig I connected the output which is balanced TRS woth an adapter to XLR and the sound guys used it in the house PA. They said how great the sound quality was. This was on stand alone mode. Only needs a modest cell phone.
by jimford on Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:43 pm
salvadoredelle wrotebut why? it's not all that great as a preamp... if you have a PA system a good quality D/I box direct into a mic input will be a cleaner solution...

No I disagree in fact at a gig I connected the output which is balanced TRS woth an adapter to XLR and the sound guys used it in the house PA. They said how great the sound quality was. This was on stand alone mode. Only needs a modest cell phone.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1