AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just read the following:

"Never plug line instruments into the XLR input jacks with phantom power engaged. This could damage your gear."

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/hurt-anything-leave-phantom-power-damage-microphones-phantom-power/

My AudioBox USB has just one 48v phantom power button that operates on both inputs simultaneously. Input 1 is a mic, and Input 2 is for electric guitar and bass.

My bass has active electronics and my guitar is passive. Is it possible to fry the bass by using it when the 48v phantom power is ON?

Studio One Pro 4
AMD 6-core processor 3.20 GHz, 16GB ram
Windows 10 pro 64bit
by SwitchBack on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:56 pm
For line inputs and instrument inputs you're supposed to use a jack plug. There's never phantom power on the jack part of the inputs.

The XLR inputs are for microphone level signals, so for microphones and mic level DI boxes using an XLR plug. When the phantom power button is engaged then only the XLR part of the inputs will have phantom power.
by Tom Overthere on Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:47 pm
Thanks for clarification. I did a little reading today, which mentioned how the phantom power is transmitted via the XLR pins. Your explanation ties into that, and the combined information makes real sense.

Studio One Pro 4
AMD 6-core processor 3.20 GHz, 16GB ram
Windows 10 pro 64bit

3 posts
Page 1 of 1