AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I am having a very annoying and seemingly unresolvable problem.
Due to the characteristics of my home, where I record, there is a device that sends out every 5 min. a short GSM signal.

Whenever I record with my Audiobox USB 96, the left channel - and only the left channel - pics up the signal. It pics up the signal even without microphones and cables attached to the box and is also independent of phantom power ON or OFF.
The noise appears exclusively on the left channel and its amplitude is dependent on input gain set in the DAW (StudioOne Pro). This makes me wonder whether it actually enters via the connected PC (Surface Pro 5) or whether the audio box itself pics it up.

As I said, the appearance of the interference is independent of cables or microphones (I have been already through swapping/changing cables and mics).

Is there anything I can do? I have to record in that location and I cannot turn off the 5min. period GSM transmission.
I attach a sample of the interference noise:
noise.wav
Interference noise on left channel
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 265 times

Thanks and regards

Berthold

--
StudioOne Pro
Audiobox USB 96
by SwitchBack on Fri May 01, 2020 4:54 am
To come up with a solution you first have to determine where the noise is entering the system.

I suggest you start by shielding the (connected) interface by packing it in something non-conductive and then wrap that in tin foil or put it in a metal box. Ground the the foil/the box. See if that kills the noise.

Next suspect is the usb cable. Try another cable (interface still shielded), preferably one with ferrite 'blobs' on the cable, and if that makes no difference then wrap the cable over the full length in tin foil too, with the foil touching the grounded shielding of the interface.

If all this doesn't help then the RFI enters through your computer and we can (hopefully) take it from there.
by bertholdhamburger on Fri May 01, 2020 7:31 am
SwitchBack wroteTo come up with a solution you first have to determine where the noise is entering the system.

I suggest you start by shielding the (connected) interface by packing it in something non-conductive and then wrap that in tin foil or put it in a metal box. Ground the the foil/the box. See if that kills the noise.

Next suspect is the usb cable. Try another cable (interface still shielded), preferably one with ferrite 'blobs' on the cable, and if that makes no difference then wrap the cable over the full length in tin foil too, with the foil touching the grounded shielding of the interface.

If all this doesn't help then the RFI enters through your computer and we can (hopefully) take it from there.

Hi,
Shielding the source of the signal unfortunately is not possible, but there is no doubt where the signal is coming from. It emits every 5min. a GSM pulse visible via its LED and that coincides with the noise on the recording.

I could isolate the problem as such:

The noise ALWAYS appears on channel 2

PC-side

• Activating/Deactivating flight mode on PC that runs DAW = No effect /Noise recorded
  • Isolating the PC that runs the DAW from common electric network (battery mode/other socket) = No effect / Noise recorded
    Audio Box-side close to emitter

1. Audio Box without microphone cables = noise signal is recorded
  2. Audio Box with any microphone cable only connected to MIC-entry 2 = noise signal is recorded stronger
  3. Audio Box with any microphone cable only connected to MIC-entry 1 = noise signal is recorded at same amplitude as in case 1.

I conclude that some part of second input channel of the Audio Box picks up the signal. If a cable is connected to input channel 2, it acts as an antenna to acquire the signal.

Short of moving to another room to record, which is not really an option right now, it seems as if the only other option would be to replace the audio box. The issue is that the problem has been around for some time, but until now I used it mainly for practise recordings and never felt the urge to dig deeper. Now I have to use it for productions and it obviously is a bit of a dealbreaker. That being said, there was a time when the problem was not apparent and nothing has changed on my setup ever since...

Regards

--
StudioOne Pro
Audiobox USB 96
by SwitchBack on Fri May 01, 2020 9:18 am
bertholdhamburger wroteHi,
Shielding the source of the signal unfortunately is not possible, ...

I wasn’t suggesting that you shield the RFI source, but shield the AudioBox and its usb cable. If that doesn’t help then it’s your computer picking up the interference, not the AudioBox.

The shielding is not to fix the problem but to determine where the weakness is in your system.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1