AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I have recently purchased the audiobox with Studio One Artist and It is great, Im just slowley getting to grips with it.

I just wondered, as I dont have any Monitors yet, can I use Desktop speakers in the meantime?

It has just 1 x 3.5mm jack (there is an aux cable which connects the 2 speakers) and I have a 1/4 adapter.

If I connect it into one of the 1/4 speaker jacks in the back would this actually work?

Regards

Davie

Presonus Audiobox USB 96. Studio One Artist. Acer Aspire E 17 Laptop. Windows 10. Intel Core i3-5005U (2.0 GHz, 3MB, L3 Cache). Intel HD Graphics 5500. 8GB DDR3 Memory. 1000GB HDD.
by JohnBW on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 am
I assume that your Audiobox actually has 3 outputs, all 1/4".

1. Main Out L (line out)
2. Main Out R (line out)
3. Phones (L+R)

If your desktop speakers only have a single stereo 3.5mm jack, you will only get mono audio from either 1(L) or 2(R) above if you use the 1/4 adapter with either of those main outputs. If you are handy with soldering tools and making connectors, you might be able to kluge a stereo adapter together.

It might be tempting to use the headphone 1/4 out since it is stereo, but the volume and impedance would probably be a mess with powered speakers, since that is an amplified output for headphones without power. If you have headphones, you could just use those until you get some monitors.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by David_72 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:53 am
John,

That is right there are 3 x 1/4 jacks exactly as you described.

I do use headphones the reason I wanted to use speakers too was I have a hearing aid for high frequencies so Its better for me to record, then play back via speakers so I am hearing everything fine.

I am pretty much a bedroom guitarist and this is just a hobby so I wontI will go for anything high end.

Cheers

Presonus Audiobox USB 96. Studio One Artist. Acer Aspire E 17 Laptop. Windows 10. Intel Core i3-5005U (2.0 GHz, 3MB, L3 Cache). Intel HD Graphics 5500. 8GB DDR3 Memory. 1000GB HDD.
by JohnBW on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:25 am
Here are are a few suggestions for entry level budget studio monitors in the 4-5" range. They can be found for $100-300/pair.

https://talkinmusic.com/musicproduction ... -monitors/

I used a pair of 4" monitors for about 12 years, and they sounded great until one finally started acting up. Found a stupid deal on a pair of 5" monitors this year to replace those with. It's all I need for my home setup.

Once you hear music through near field audio monitors, even from small ones, you will never want to go back to regular computer speakers. They really are an essential item, even for the home hobby studio. The smaller ones have lesser bass response than the larger pro studio models, but the mids and highs should be good.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Mus ... s/11974991

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by cristofe on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:40 pm
Yes, JohnBW is absolutely correct. Professional nearfield monitors will give you the best and most accurate listening experience. Another advantage to using real studio monitors is that they generally have individual inputs so you can use two standard speaker cables to connect them to your Audiobox's L&R outputs. If you want to save a few$ there are often many new & used nearfield monitors available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Pro-Audio-Studio-Monitors/47091/bn_3133721

....this is also a good source for any cables you may need.

That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by David_72 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:57 pm
Thank you for all your advice.

One thing I did notice was the quality in playback via the audiobox was far superior by a long way when I had music on. There didn't seem to be any latency either.

There is a good range of speakers I can look at thanks a lot for the links 😀

I will get my profile edited and get all the info put on.

Thanks again!

Davie

6 posts
Page 1 of 1