AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm very puzzled about this situation maybe someone can help me understand it.

I bought the AudioBox mainly to use the Amplitube software and record my guitars.
If I simply plug them via jack in the interface I get awful distorted sounds out of it. The input gain on the audiobox is set at 10-12 'o clock, the meter shows fine values but the sound is not.

I tried running the guitar via jack into this and coming out with an XLR - XLR in the interface.

Now the sound is inexplicably way better, and although I'm not bypassing the mic preamp (correct me if I'm wrong), the input signal actually seems to be lower. So the sound is way better (I can finally achieve smooth distortion) but the backgorund noise is also way more (too much).

Isn't the instrument (jack) input meant to be the right one for guitars? If I plug an XLR doesn't it engage the mic preamp (so the signal should be much higher)?
Why the noise and would a DI Box be a solution?
by cristofe on Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 am
Why the noise

Ok, noise can be coming from a huge variety of sources. Could be the guitar itself. Is the wiring properly shielded? Is it a single coil Strat type or a humbucker Paul type. Single coils are more prone to noise. Cheap cables can also be the culprit. If you're not using a power conditioner you should be.
Amplitube itself can be very noisy. Do you have the same problems recording directly into your DAW? Tho theoretically you should be able to plug directly into the line input....line level sources like keyboards and guitars are NOT the same and often going direct like that with a guitar will create an impedance mis-match giving you the results you experienced.

would a DI Box be a solution?

Sooo.....you noticed improvement with the ART unit. But it's really not the right tool for the job.
As you have already suspected, you will get better results with a dedicated DI box. A DI is always
a good idea and an absolute necessity when using active pups like EMG's.

Radial makes THE best DI boxes IMHO.

That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

2 posts
Page 1 of 1