AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I was messing around in Guitar Rig 5 and suddenly the volume dropped and a clean tone can now be heard. The only thing I did was cycle on/off a component in Guitar Rig 5 (specifically the Loop Machine.) Closing down Guitar Rig 5 and just playing through the AudioBox I can still hear the clean tone. The Mixer is set all the way to Playback so that's not the problem.

I've uninstalled both all AudioBox drivers/software and Guitar Rig software. I've even uninstalled the AudioBox drivers and software again to try a different USB port. These are all USB 2.0 ports. I'm using the ports on the back of my PC so I'm not using any external hubs and I'm using all the original cords that came with the unit. Nothing is fixing the problem.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

PC: MSI Z97 GAMING 7, Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM Win7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 Audio Interfaces: PreSonus Audiobox USB
by cristofe on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:03 pm
It could be any number of things. Have you optimized your pc for audio production?
Have you disabled wi-fi? Are you plugged into a USB2 or USB3 port? Did you install the drivers
from the included disc? Or did you download and use the latest drivers from this site? That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by mikem3 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:06 pm
cristofe wroteIt could be any number of things. Have you optimized your pc for audio production?
Have you disabled wi-fi? Are you plugged into a USB2 or USB3 port? Did you install the drivers
from the included disc? Or did you download and use the latest drivers from this site? That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

Thanks for getting back to me. I've since added my spec's to my signature. My AudioBox is plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the back of my PC (no hub). I'm using all of the original cords that came with my unit. I haven't specifically optimized my pc for audio production. In this case I'm not using a DAW I'm just running straight into Guitar Rig 5 standalone. The thing is that everything was working fine until a few days ago. While playing I heard a loud pop, the volume got very low and I could hear a clean tone coming through my headset.

I uninstalled and reinstalled both my Audiobox software and Guitar Rig 5. I have the latest Audiobox drivers from the Presonus website and I have for a while. With my guitar plugged into the Audiobox, the Mixer knob set all the way to Playback and no other software on I hear a clean tone coming out into my headphones. Is this normal? I'm almost positive that before when Guitar Rig 5 wasn't on I heard nothing through my headphones.

Once again, thanks for getting back to me and if you need any more info let me know.

PC: MSI Z97 GAMING 7, Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM Win7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 Audio Interfaces: PreSonus Audiobox USB
by cristofe on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:11 pm
So if I'm understanding you this "clean tone" is always present.....even when you close out Guitar Rig? You should try it with some other programs. A DAW, other hosts and plugins. There are many
free VSTHosts and plugins out there to experiment with. Here's a bunch of 'em:

http://www.vst4free.com/

I would suggest trying a different USB cord. Or if possible, try it with another computer.
Also you haven't mentioned how you're monitoring your sound? Have you tried both the main outs and headphone out? If it's always there even after all you've done, there may be something wrong with your Audiobox itself. If you've eliminated ALL the other variables, you may want to open a support ticket.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by mikem3 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:08 pm
cristofe wroteSo if I'm understanding you this "clean tone" is always present.....even when you close out Guitar Rig?

Yup. It just started doing this. I can minimize the issue a bit by lowering the IN and increasing the OUT in Guitar Rig but it just doesn't sound nearly as good as it used to and I can still make out the clean tone.

I'll try some free DAWs and the other stuff you suggested. I monitor my sound through some cheap headphones. It's not the best quality but it's always done the job. I connected it to the AudioBox via the Phones jack in the back. I don't use any speakers.

by mikem3 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 am
Don't mean to double post but I wanted to know if it's normal for sound to be coming from your guitar when it's plugged into the AudioBox USB with the Mixer set all the way to playback and no other software running.

Just trying to narrow down the problem.

by cristofechabot on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:07 pm
I monitor my sound through some cheap headphones. It's not the best quality but it's always done the job.

So maybe it's your phones.....try another pair. You should also try to find a way to test the speaker outs. Did you try a different USB cable? There are many variables involved that can introduce noise. When I studied electronics one of my professors. Said "Troubleshooting is not about finding out what the problem IS. It's about finding out what the problem ISN'T. When you have eliminated everything that the problem ISN'T.....then you'll KNOW what the problem IS."

I wanted to know if it's normal for sound to be coming from your guitar when it's plugged into the AudioBox USB with the Mixer set all the way to playback

Ideally, no not normal per se, but not uncommon either. Single COIL pickups are prone to hum, cheap cords, poor shielding of your guitars electronics, grounding issues, florescent lights and even your home's AC can all introduce noise. It's always best to plug everything into a power conditioner to filter out some of these gremlins.I like Furman units.....you can sometimes find 'em cheap used on fleabay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Furman-PL-8-Power-Conditioner-with-LED-Lights/323117168217?hash=item4b3b48b659:g:s3kAAOSwnDBanGS7

7 posts
Page 1 of 1