AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've tried this with two different sets of headphones, ATH-M30s and Sony MDR-7505. Both work just fine in other devices.

When I plug them into the Audiobox USB I only get clear sound in the right headphone.

If I unplug the jack a little bit, the sound switches to the left headphone, but then it's not all the way in of course, and the sound on the right vanishes.

There is a TINY amount of sound coming out of the left speaker, but it's so faint as to be almost impossible to hear, even turned all the way up.

Could the headphone jack on my Audiobox USB be bad?

Even though this item is a few years old, it's brand new out of the box. I'd bought it for podcasting, then never used it, and it was still in the shipping box packed in foam for a few years. It was 100% undamaged in any way, and was pristine.

Is there any way to test the headphone out jack to see if it's defective?
And if it's defective, is there any way to send it in for repair?

Thank You.
by johnvoyda on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 pm
Well that explains that. Popped cap. This looks to be years old damage by the patina, which means it either wasn't tested, or was tested and was shipped faulty.

Since I bought this years ago and only unboxed it 2 weeks ago, I don't really have much recourse.

I suppose I could try to send it in for non-warranty repair, but between the repair and the shipping, it may cost as much as a new unit entirely.

This saddens me, as I bought the Presonus Audiobox USB on Presonus' reputation for ruggedly built and tested equipment. :cry:

Attachments
Presonus_popped_Cap.jpg
by cristofe on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:44 pm
Since I bought this years ago and only unboxed it 2 weeks ago, I don't really have much recourse.

That's not "patina" it's just discoloration from the dielectric material, (probably oil), used in this electrolytic cap. No you don't have any recourse and you probably caused this cap to blow yourself when you powered the device up for the first time. Capacitors don't like to sit unused for YEARS at time. It's not uncommon to blow one when first powering up a device that's been sitting for LONG time. That's why professional techs will use a variable power supply when powering up a device that's been dormant for a long time. Voltage is slowly raised from 0 to full....this conditions the old capacitors. Had you used a variable power supply and bought the unit's voltage up gradually this probably would not have happened.

Live and learn.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1