AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
25 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Use an amp virtual or preamp analog or virtual??
I don't have one perfect answer. I would try many things until it worked as it's supposed to.

Just trying to help
by daemon9 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:19 pm
Sorry I'm a little late. I'm using the same setup...AudioBox USB...SM57...Studio One 2 and noticed that even cranking my amp doesn't keep the mic from being super quiet. From what I've read, people buy separate mic preamps that have an input transformer to make the SM57 work "properly"...like the Vintech VA573. I'm not 100% on how the tech works, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with the impedance capabilities and at what voltage the preamp's power rails run on. The Vintech VA573 is a $700 unit...don't think you're going to find the sound it gives your SM57 in a $100 audio interface. With that said...you're better off selling your SM57 and get a decent condenser mic to record from your cab since the AudioBox provides phantom power.

DAW: Studio One 4.5 Artist Interface: Presonus Studio 1810c Monitors: Yamaha HS50M Guitars: BC Rich Warbeast NJ w/ EMG 81/85/Schecter C-1 Hellraiser w/ EMG 81/Sustainiac/Takamine EG530SC Acoustic-Electric Bass: BC Rich Beast Recording Amp: Kemper Profiler Drums: Roland TD-17KVX (connected as stereo audio device) PC: Asus Rampage V Edition 10, i7 6850K OC'd to 4.30Ghz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 x2 in SLI, Corsair AX1500i PSU
by Benoni on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:00 pm
The AudioBox has a gain range of 0-35db
The SM57 needs around 50db of gain (unless you have a very loud source)

Turn up your guitar amp, or get a mic pre-amp that can properly drive the mic. A Cloudlifter would work if you don't want a standalone pre-amp.
by danielo2 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:23 pm
Hi,

I am having the exact same issue, tried everything, still have to cranck the Gain of the sm57 up to 3 to get any sound. Did you find out what was the issue? Was it the mic?
Thanks in advance.
by maxwelllink on Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:20 pm
Hey dude, the reason the sm57 isn’t working with the audio box 96 is because not enough gain is delivered through its preamp to work with your sm57. I would get another audio interface such as a focusrite Scarlett solo or something similar in that price range if you want it to work properly.

I know I’m late but I hope this helps!

25 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2