AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have acquired a pair of alesis m3 speakers with 1/4 line in L & R. I connect these to the L & R outputs on the back of the Audiobox USB, so far I understand. The specs for the Audiobox USB state I should use 1/4" TRS impedance balanced jacks. When I do a search it shows stereo jack plugs, but I would have thought that I would use mono jacks in separate channels?

Advice welcome, please

Regards

Tony
by Skip Jones on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:18 pm
TRS (identified as Tip, Ring, Sleeve) is mono. Not sure where you sourced that they were stereo. To compare, they are different than an instrument cable (like a guitar cable) which is unbalanced.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... rs-cables/

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by mrpicholas on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:16 pm
A TRS Cable (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) can carry different kinds of signal.

One possibility is Stereo Audio (Left/Right/Shield)

Another is Balanced Audio (Positive/Negative/Ground).

In your case you want balanced audio for best sound and performance.

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB RAM & OS 11.6.4. Studio One Professional 5, Notion 5, Presonus Quantum 2626, PreSonus Sceptre S6, FaderPort, Melodyne Editor, plugs from Waves, AAS, Arturia, Nomad Factory, IK. Faber-Castell #2 Pencil
by cristofe on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:11 am
TRS (identified as Tip, Ring, Sleeve) is mono.

Not always.

Not sure where you sourced that they were stereo.

Skip, it actually says that TRS can carry a stereo signal in the
link you posted!

TS stands for tip-sleeve and TRS stands for tip-ring-sleeve (see picture below).

TS cables are generally used for mono, unbalanced signals such as sound from an electric guitar.

TRS cables can be used for mono, balanced signals as well as stereo signals. An example of a mono, balanced signal would be the line in or out from your audio interface. An example of a stereo signal would be what your headphones receive when you plug them into any “headphone” jack.

They can be used for a variety of other signals as well. They can carry balanced mono audio signals and they can also be used to carry control voltage as patch cables in modular synth setups and to connect expression pedals to synths and effects that accept them.

Mr. Picholas is quite correct. You want to use balanced mono speaker cables for optimum monitor performance. Here's a handy guide that helps de-mystify all the various cable types:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/cable-buying-guide/

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by Skip Jones on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:19 am
Yes, agreed but was trying to address the OP's question with what he is trying to achieve. Not a dissertation of TS and TRS but how to help him and answer his question pertinent to his set up.

Sorry if I added to confusion.

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by anthonydavis4 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:02 pm
Thanks guys,

I got the source about TRS being stereo from the returned resukts using online search engines, hardly authorative I know and the reason why I saught enlightenment from you guys.

Which I now have, so my thanks for that.

Regards,

Tony
by petercsemez on Sun May 09, 2021 6:47 am
: Hi guys,
This question is not directly related to the the topic, but it is about TRS confusion. I have an older Presonus Audiobox Usb, not the 96 version. I am getting ready to buy a set of Presonus Eris e5 studio monitors and the research I've done tells me that the connection on the back of the interface is unbalanced and the connection to the speakers is balanced. So my question is : do I use balanced or unbalanced cables to connect the two?

Thanks for your help
Peter.
by SwitchBack on Sun May 09, 2021 8:51 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

The AudioBox USB has impedance balanced outputs so use TRS (not TS) balanced cables. Not sure what your research was based on.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1