AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,
I recently purchased an Audiobox USB 2x2 and i am hearing a repeating buzzing/popping/crackling/ noise. This noise occurs no matter where I have the "playback/mixer" knob set. It occurs when I have the interface powered through my mac's usb port or through an external usb port plugged into a wall outlet. It occurs when I am using the preamps or the line input. It occurs even when I have no instrument or mic connected. The sound can be heard on my recordings. The sounds is louder when I increase gain on the interface. The sound occurs frequently but not continually. If I change the audio output in garageband from the audiobox, to the built-in output of the mac, the sound can still be heard whether through the headphone jack, or built in speakers.
All of this tells me:
It is not a preamp problem
It is not a conversion problem (I can hear it even when I'm not connected to a computer at all)
It is not a headphone problem
It is not a software issue

Please help me!
Thank you!
by olemeyer on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:29 pm
I also did have this kind of problem while recording into Studio One. After reading several forum threads, I deleeted the Presonus firewire drivers for my Studio Live mixer. Together with powering my PC from the socket outlet (not from the battery) the problem seems to be solved.
by craigwood on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:08 pm
I recently purchased this unit and I am having the same exact problem and can't seem to get rid of this cracking sound no matter what I do.
by hermanwilliams on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:40 pm
We found that replacing Unbalanced audio cables with balanced audio cables fixed this for us. Also if you have a cell phone next to unbalanced audio it could cause this interference as well.

A balanced cable, by contrast, has three conductors in the connector and three wires in the cable: two signals wires plus a separate ground wire. As in the unbalanced cable, the ground wire still surrounds the signal wires and is used as a shield against interference.

http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/
by chadsmith2 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:38 pm
I was having the exact issue coming through my headphones and ended up realizing that it was my modem to close to the audiobox. I moved the audiobox and all is well.
by fabrcioschiavo on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:04 pm
If it helps anyone, I had a similar issue with a very long unbalanced cable. It seems like long unbalanced cables are more susceptible to environment interference. Reference:

https://magroove.com/blog/en-us/balanced-cables/
by henryanderson1 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:06 am
I have just solved mine. It was a wifi router! Moved the router and now its silent unless I want it to be otherwise!
by anthonydellamore on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:04 pm
Yes! The issue is absolutely 100% due to the interface being too close to a modem/wifi router. I read someone else's comment suggesting this and I moved mine further away and it instantly fixed the problem with the clicking/ticking background noise. Thank you so much!
by gabrielradu1 on Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:46 pm
Got the same problem right now on Chirstmas.
I've reinstalled the drivers, moved the wifi in another room, closed it, phones everything and sitll got the problem. :(
by cameronspringfield on Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:03 pm
That's EXACTLY what was messing with my audio! Thx 4 the advice!
by mmaskery on Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:22 pm
I was having the same issue, moved my wifi router about 2 feet away, from where it was, and it resolved the issue.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1