AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
What is the BEST way to connect a mixer ( Mackie Mix8 8-Channel Compact Mixer), which I'm buying this Friday to the AudioBox USB?

The AudioBox was fine alone doing my online teleconference school, as I could 'direct connect' via VoIP and have a 'control room' for muting/unmuting callers; but I'm getting ready to do a radio program and the AudioBox isn't enough for me to accomplish all that need to happen.

I'll have a combo cd/tape deck plugged into the "tape" jacks for recording (school sessions) and auxiliary playback (for radio), depending on what I'm doing. I have 2 mics, one dynamic on 1/4" and a condenser (of course using 48v). I also have a cellphone which will be hooked up for 'live' interviews [have a 3way splitter cable, 2 for headphone sectioin and 1 for mic] the 2 headphone cables go into channel 3/4, the mic goes into aux send. And channel 5/6 is my iPod which holds my soundFX and other audio to incorporate for input to prevent 'dead air'.

All this is on Windows 7 home premium, on a Toshiba platform. In advance, thank you all for your input.
Last edited by charlesstalling on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Win7 64bit OS, 3.87GB usable ram, Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU, T6400 @ 2.00GHz / 2.00GHz
by salvadoredelle on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:13 am
well the basic audio box 22vsl has only one dual set of inputs on the front panel and one set of outputs on the rear. The Mackie has one set of outputs for main mixer and an no Aux sends. The basic audio box 22VSL has mic / instrument level inputs meaning, the XLR type is for a microphone direct and the 1/4' "TS" (unbalanced) is for instruments like a bass or guitar or keyboard. It is not an actual "Line Level input" or it would be a balanced line level 1/4" "TRS" type connection. The mackie mix8 spec information is a bit convoluted but I am guessing the main outputs are 1/4" balanced TRS. So you have a mismatch from the Mackies Main balanced TRS to the AB22VSL Instrument level TS inputs.

The Audio Box 44VSL and 1818VSL have all 3 type Mic/Instrument/Line level inputs... this would be the best solution in the Audio Box series interfaces and also give you more input and output options for connecting speakers and line level sends to a cue mix etc... so don't get the 22VSL get the 44VSL or the 1818VSL

Also! for best audio performance and lower noise use the correct balanced TRS line cables not an unbalanced guitar cable (TS).

Do not plug the mixer outputs into channels 1/2 as those are instrument inputs, use the Line Level inputs to connect the mixer.

the Audio Box series have 1/4" TRS balanced outputs which is a "Line Level" output for connecting to a mixer or direct to powered studio monitors.

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by charlesstalling on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:41 pm
salvadoredelle wrotewell the basic audio box 22vsl has only one dual set of inputs on the front panel and one set of outputs on the rear. The Mackie has one set of outputs for main mixer and an no Aux sends. The basic audio box 22VSL has mic / instrument level inputs meaning, the XLR type is for a microphone direct and the 1/4' "TS" (unbalanced) is for instruments like a bass or guitar or keyboard. It is not an actual "Line Level input" or it would be a balanced line level 1/4" "TRS" type connection. The mackie mix8 spec information is a bit convoluted but I am guessing the main outputs are 1/4" balanced TRS. So you have a mismatch from the Mackies Main balanced TRS to the AB22VSL Instrument level TS inputs.

The Audio Box 44VSL and 1818VSL have all 3 type Mic/Instrument/Line level inputs... this would be the best solution in the Audio Box series interfaces and also give you more input and output options for connecting speakers and line level sends to a cue mix etc... so don't get the 22VSL get the 44VSL or the 1818VSL

Also! for best audio performance and lower noise use the correct balanced TRS line cables not an unbalanced guitar cable (TS).

Do not plug the mixer outputs into channels 1/2 as those are instrument inputs, use the Line Level inputs to connect the mixer.

the Audio Box series have 1/4" TRS balanced outputs which is a "Line Level" output for connecting to a mixer or direct to powered studio monitors.

***Sorry I didn't make myself clear...I already have the AudioBox USB and the Mixer is being bought on Friday (not the other way around). I guess I'll have to get a couple DI's and go from the mixer 'mains' to the interface's xlr inputs via DI boxes! I guess I was hoping I wouldn't have to purchase the DI's. ***

Win7 64bit OS, 3.87GB usable ram, Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU, T6400 @ 2.00GHz / 2.00GHz
by themaartian on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:54 pm
Nice looking mixer. Been looking at the 1202VLZ4 myself.

You may be in luck, cost-wise. I saw a couple of stereo (2 ch) DI boxes on Sweetwater that can convert line-level signals to mic-level XLR. The less expensive ones (I admit to not looking REAL hard) had 1/8" and RCA inputs, but not 1/4".

Well, you should be able to use the Tape Out RCA connectors (parallel to the Mains) to the DI inputs, and then a single XLR cable to the AudioBox USB.

Maybe?

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by salvadoredelle on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:20 pm
I wouldn't buy ant D/I boxes to do this... just try the instrument inputs and that should work fine... it may not be the correct levels but it should work. D/I boxes are for instrument level to mic level although a line level would work with them too. I would consider getting 2 nice TRS line cables for the mixer to the Audio box. That should be all you need!

the better your cables the better your results...

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by charlesstalling on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:47 pm
The reason I'm suggesting DI's is because of the tests I've done with plugging in different audio devices, and w/o the DI the signals were always too hot. And I had to use the XLR 'out' into the interface...the 1/4" out from the DI was also too hot.

I know there' s a way to do it - last month a pastor friend of mine was streaming his service but the audio sucked, we hooked up my AB USB via an XLR to DI and XLR 'out' directly into channel 1, told uStream to use the AB USB as the audio source and he was good to go - matter of fact he went out an bought an interface and is using it for all their streaming. (I forgot about that, I guess I answered my own question. Dang!)

by aytee on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:54 pm
Pls can i connect my Audiobox usb to a behringer xenyx 1222usb?.am planning to buy it from a friend buh am not too sure about the connection.
by cristofe on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:01 am
Pls can i connect my Audiobox usb to a behringer xenyx 1222usb?

Well, yes you can......but you really don't need to. The Audiobox is a USB audio interface.
The Behringer mixer also has a USB audio interface built in. You can connect it directly to your computer.....there is no need to use both devices.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1