AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Seems this issue has been raised a few times but I can't get my head around one thing... I just bought a usb 96, opened up an empty project in ableton live, imported an 8 bar drum loop and hear this "clipping" noise that many users have reported already. Played around with bit rate/sample block settings as suggested but this didn't resolve anything. CPU is never going above 15 percent at any point.

What is confusing me most is that even if I open iTunes and play a bunch of songs, some of them cause the dreaded clipping noise but other don't! Even if I play two, sonically similar high quality mp3/wav files, one will crackle and the other sounds just fine. How can this be happening with one audio file but not the other?

It's worth noting that I'm running a new MacBook Pro M1 and as a result I'm running the usb 2.0 cable from the 96 in through a usb-c adapter. Initially I thought this could have something to do with the issue but that doesn't explain the above, whereby only some audio playback is causing the clipping noise but other files play just fine. Really don't want to send the 96 back but I may have to if I can't resolve this. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
by timsmith30 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:59 am
I am having the same issue. if I play my guitar I can hear it fine. If I arm a track and record I get crackling same thing with all the plug ins. All the plug ins crackle no matter what I do. I reinstalled studio one that didn't help. I tried a different usb cable, I tested my head phones with another device, I checked all my leaves nothing clipping. At this point I may just go buy another interface if I cant figure it out soon.
by klypeman on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:42 pm
What are your sample rate and buffer size set at ?

It would be nice if you put your specs in your signature (see red text below)
that way it will be easier to help in the future.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by klypeman on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:12 pm
Have any of you downloaded Universal Control from your Account?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by willsamfield on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:11 am
same thing here just started after a week. Something is wrong with the audio box. does anybody have a solution?
by dmytrolazorenko on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:41 am
I have the exactly the same problem with new audiobox usb 92 25th anniversary edition, tried everything as topic starter, but nothing helps so far.

Most mp3s / youtube videos are fine but some has cracklings.
If I add any audio file to cubase it starts to crackle.
If I am using EQ in cubase it crackles.

Also I found that few youtube videos played in different windows crackling, but if I stop one, everything is fine.

1. Reinstalled drivers
2. Disabled onboard audio
3. Best and Max performance modes in windows
4. Tried both USB 2.0/3.0 ports
5. Disabled all "gaming" modes
6. Uninstalled MSI dragon center
7. Disabled enhancements in windows sound settings
9. Disabled NVidia game performance
10. Disabled NVidia digital audio (in nvidia control panel)
11. Disabled all audio devices except Audiobox USB96
12. Drivers and firmware are up to date, according to Universal Control.

In all cases cpu load is around 5% so its not an issue.

OHCI Info from Universal Control:
Code: Select all
  CPU(s):
    Processor:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor             
    Physical:  1
    Cores:     8
    Logical:   16
    L1 Cache:  32 KB   (16)
    L2 Cache:  512 KB  (8)
    L3 Cache: 32768 KB  (1)
  Installed RAM: 32694 MB

Windows 10 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI, 32 Gb
by jorritgodeke on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:32 pm
Been puzzled about this, too. Since the audiobox was installed as my new main audio device it should be usable like that. So far I've noticed the crackling goes away when the sample rates are aligned. I had all my devices set to 96khz because that's the max of the box, but setting them to 48 khz solved the crackling issues with apps that only produce 44.1k audio. 48k also seems to work.

I only really need 96k when I'm recording bass because of the latency reduction. And when I'm recording I temporarily turn up the samping rate of the bx to 96k. I don't use the other programs while recording anyway. So that seems to be pop and crackly free,. 48k for regular computer use, 96k for recording.

Getting the sample rates aligned helps with getting rid of aliasing due to upsampling as well, or so I read. Apparently windows doesn't like to upsample from 44.1k to 96k but doesn't mind 48k.

Edit, my crackling has not gone away. So my advice was moot. Some people suggested it may be because of sampling rate. Other things I did: set windows to give background processes priority instead of foreground. Audio drivers work in background so for best audio results it is recommended to use this setting. (in advanced, when right clicking on computer and choosing properties.) I also removed the tick box for exclusive use in the audio device advanced properties. Crackling is now less, to such an extent that I can record my bassguitar in Studio One without being affected by it too much. It doesn't show up in recordings though, so that's a plus.

meanwhile my search for crackle free audio is continuing. Found this guide on optimizing the pc for audio, one of these things may fix it for you. One thing other guides mention is turning off hyperthreading and some other stuff in the BIOS. My pc is not dedicated to audio alone, it's my only pc and i use it for many other things including gaming. I feel like I need to make a compromise.
by dmytrolazorenko on Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:40 am
Well, for me solution was to order Focusrite 2i2 Mk3, works perfectly out of the box.

Sent my AudioBox for warranty repair, will see if this helps.

Windows 10 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI, 32 Gb
by karl-johannorn on Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:27 am
I had experienced crackling noises with the AudioBox USB96 ever since upgrading to a 2021 M1 Macbook Pro, but the recent upgrade to macOS 12.3 seems to have fixed the issue.

Not going to celebrate yet, but I've played through two tracks that consistently had cracking noises before, and now doesn't.
by bradleymiller4 on Wed May 11, 2022 12:00 am
Recently bought the Audiobox USB 96 (after Presonus made my previously excellent Firestudio Project redundant on latest macOS). I've had the same problem: crackling and popping occurs on playback of certain files or tracks with higher recording levels (directly off my computer or even on YouTube). Presonus support said there was a fault with the unit I had bought so I exchanged it for a replacement but the problem still persists. Presonus support also said that this issue is "not a known issue with the AudioBox USB 96" -- seriously??
by cliverobertson on Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:51 am
CRACKLING: How do you align sample rate: iMac (OS Catalina) and Audiobox USB 96? I tried to change sampling rate in Universal Control but it jumps back to 44.1kz. iTunes works fine.
Why oh why did Presonsus decide not to have an updated driver for Firestudio Project that worked well with FCP X and Logic Pro? Please someone,somwhere suggest another brand that works. Thanks!
by fabioantoniazzi on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:21 am
2 months that I installed audiobox 96 on win11. it worked fine, but after i also used a revelator mic on the same pc it started cracking.
In linux daw works fine even if it doesn't have the original drivers.
The problem may be related to universal control and also win11.
Surely the drivers (universal control) need to be reviewed with the new win updates.
If you have any other suggestions, they are welcome!
by cristofe on Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:30 am
I cannot speak to Win11 as I'm not an early adopter. I prefer to let others be Microsoft's unpaid beta testers for a good long time before I "upgrade" my OS.

There many variables at play, your pc's usb ports, (and BTW your audiobox should always be connected to the same port you installed it on!), the USB cable itself, a Microsoft update, (these often break more things than they fix), and Mac users also often reort problem after OS "updates" or even the Audiobox itself. It's difficult for smaller developers to keep up with every update from Microsoft and Apple. However there are many others using the most current revision of Win11 with Universal Control v4.0.0.90879 with no problems. So don't be so quick to try and lay blame when you have no facts to suppoprt that conclusion,

The problem is NOT the Presonus drivers. Just because you are having problems with the 96 and Win 11 does not mean everyone else is Or that the problem is even related to the drivers. Win 11 is thoroughly supported by the current drivers.

As can be observed on the AB USB 96's download page:

https://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB-96/downloads

if you select Windows 11 from the drop menu on the left you will see that the most recent version of UC: Universal Control v4.0.0.90879 supports both Win 10 and Win11.

That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW, make and model of your audio interface etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by presonus308 on Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:42 pm
I was experiencing crackling with an AudioBox Go on my Windows 11 laptop.

I changed the 'old school' (Device Manager) Power Plan so that 'PCI Express > Link State Power Management' was set to 'Moderate power savings'.

This appears to have solved my crackling issues.
by hugo.gential38 on Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:40 pm
I have crackling from time to time, I do not understand how you did it can you explain to me in more detail thank you?
by presonus308 on Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:23 pm
hugo.gential38 wroteI have crackling from time to time, I do not understand how you did it can you explain to me in more detail thank you?

I opened the 'Control Panel' (Press the Win Key/Start Menu and type 'Control' and it should be the top option)

I navigated to 'Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change Plan Settings'

Then I chose the 'Change advanced power settings' (Blue text)

I then expanded the 'PCI Express > Link State Power Management' setting and changed it from Maximum Power Saving to Moderate Power Saving, and this stopped audio crackling in every app on my AMD Laptop.

(Note the screenshot is from my older Intel laptop, so it might not look the same)

Attachments
pci-express-power.png
by valentinbas on Fri May 26, 2023 8:56 am
presonus308 wrote
hugo.gential38 wroteI have crackling from time to time, I do not understand how you did it can you explain to me in more detail thank you?

I opened the 'Control Panel' (Press the Win Key/Start Menu and type 'Control' and it should be the top option)

I navigated to 'Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change Plan Settings'

Then I chose the 'Change advanced power settings' (Blue text)

I then expanded the 'PCI Express > Link State Power Management' setting and changed it from Maximum Power Saving to Moderate Power Saving, and this stopped audio crackling in every app on my AMD Laptop.

(Note the screenshot is from my older Intel laptop, so it might not look the same)

THANK YOU that worked for me
by jonathanbooth on Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:24 am
On my Macbook Pro with Garageband I finally found a solution which is to turn off wifi. All the crackling immediately goes away. I don't know why it had only recently become a problem, since I hadn't changed anything about the wifi router configuration or location. Anyway now I have to turn off wifi when recording/mixing/etc.
by cristobalbilloch on Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:27 pm
Hey! Try lowering the volume output of your pc. In my case i have a laptop or notebook, had my volume at 100%. Setting it at 96% solved my crackling. I may have to set it lower for louder
uses. Hope i helped.
by fredruffy on Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:41 pm
I've had an audiobox 44vsl for many years without any issues, but needed to replace it because the left main output quit working. I decided to try the 96 USB interface and was very disappointed because of the crackling and popping described by others here. I know there have been a lot of suggestions about lowering output sound from the PC and other fixes, but I shouldn't have to try a million different adjustments to my settings just because I'm swapping out one audiobox for another. I think, like others noted, that it's just a bad piece of hardware. I found another non-presonus audio interface that was $10 less and works great right out of the box. As a Studio One fan and also user of Presonus monitor speakers, I'd say this product doesn't reflect well on the company and I'd suggest they'd take it off the market rather than trying to sell an inferior product that's only going to get bad reviews. But, hey, I'm no CEO. haha :P

24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2