AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a backing track ready in Studio One, and I want to overdub two singers simultaneously so the singers can respond to each other while they record. Using mics, we can't use studio monitor speakers. Can they both use headphones with the AudioBox USB while we record? Would a standard headphone splitter cable work (one 1/4" TRS into two 1/4" TRS)? Or do I need to buy a headphone amplifier?

Bob Jones
Lafayette, CA

MacBook Pro, Mid-2015
2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
a mere 251 GB Flash storage
Studio One 5 Artist (considering Pro)
AudioBox USB
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
two Røde NT-1A mics
Casio WK-3000 MIDI keyboard
2 acoustics, 2 basses
ARTcessories DI Box; Gallien-Kruger Backline 112
by cristofe on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 am
Well, as I use multi channel headphone amps, I can't answer that with 100% certainty. But I'm fairly confident that, if you only need to drive two sets of phones, a simple splitter should get the job done.
The downside is that both singers will get exactly the same mix and levels which, though not ideal,
may be good enough for task at hand. And, it's not like it will cost too much to find out! :mrgreen:

I've found good deals on such cables, (and good used headphone amps), on eBay.

That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW, make and model of your audio interface etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by SwitchBack on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:27 pm
Here's something to try:
Plug one of the headphones in the AudioBox's main left or right output. You get a signal in one ear only but forget that for now. Just check if you can get a loud enough signal from the side you can hear.

If you can then get a cable or a cable plus an adapter to connect the phones to both sides of main out. The big bonus with this compared to a splitter is independent output signals, both for level and mix.

To find just the right cable for it may be difficult but you should be able to get a 2x mono to stereo jack cable and a stereo female-to-female adapter. Or make the cable yourself.
by cristofe on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:29 pm
SwitchBack wroteHere's something to try:
Plug one of the headphones in the AudioBox's main left or right output. You get a signal in one ear only but forget that for now. Just check if you can get a loud enough signal from the side you can hear.

If you can then get a cable or a cable plus an adapter to connect the phones to both sides of main out. The big bonus with this compared to a splitter is independent output signals, both for level and mix.

To find just the right cable for it may be difficult but you should be able to get a 2x mono to stereo jack cable and a stereo female-to-female adapter. Or make the cable yourself.

Good call!! Gotta love those creative workarounds! :mrgreen:

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by jorgenfriis on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:32 pm
Is it possible that I can play with headphones from channel 1 and have the sound out in the Speaker from Channel 2... at the same time ???? I have a Presonus Studio 68C (4 inplugs)

5 posts
Page 1 of 1