9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, I recently bought a new MacBook Pro and found that my existing FireWire cable doesn't fit into the FireWire port.

I assume the cable is 6 pin and the port is 9 pin.

I thought about just buying a new 9 pin cable and then wondered if it's that simple. The Firebox FireWire specs are 400mbps while the new MacBook has a 800 port (up to 800 Mbps).

I'm now wondering if the Firebox will even work with the new Mac or if I'll need to purchase a new box (like the AudioBox), seeing that the Firebox is now discontinued.

Thanks for any advice!
by Beauvais on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 am
Uhm, dude, it might help to have a closer look at your computer.. ;-)

The new Macbooks don't have Firewire anymore at all, what you'll need is a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter.

Mac Studio with Metric Halo 3d. S1 6.6.
by MichaelB on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:27 am
Actually, they do. Maybe you're thinking of the MacBook Air or the MacBook Retina but the MacBook Pro has a FireWire 800 port.

I've got the computer and I know what the port looks like. And here are the Apple specs:

https://www.apple.com/ca/mac/compare/notebooks.html
by overcoat on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:48 am
if it were me I think i'd try the cable first and see how the firebox performs. I had the firebox for years and liked it a lot compared to the audiobox that i only had for a couple weeks before returning it. That's just me though.... i'll always try the cheapest solution first.

mac mini 2.6 quad core // RME UCX // modded GAP 73 // Warm Audio WA76// Blue Reaktor, Avantone CV-12Shure SM7B, Shure SM57 & 58 mic's // Korg ms2000b // Korg Padkontrol // Novation sl-mkii // DSI Tetra // Elektron Rytm // Moog Sub 37 // '91 American deluxe strat // Squire Jaguar bass // Martin D-15M // Arturia V-collection // Komplete 9 // UVI Vintage Vault//Lots more vst's and plugs...
by Beauvais on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:55 am
My bad, sorry.

Still, it took me about 10 seconds to go to Wikipedia and look it up:

"IEEE 1394b-2002[28] introduced FireWire 800 (Apple's name for the 9-conductor "S800 bilingual" version of the IEEE 1394b standard). This specification and corresponding products allow a transfer rate of 786.432 Mbit/s full-duplex via a new encoding scheme termed beta mode. It is backwards compatible with the slower rates and 6-conductor alpha connectors of FireWire 400. However, while the IEEE 1394a and IEEE 1394b standards are compatible, FireWire 800's connector, referred to as a beta connector, is different from FireWire 400's alpha connectors, making legacy cables incompatible. A bilingual cable allows the connection of older devices to the newer port. In 2003, Apple was the first to introduce commercial products with the new connector."

by MichaelB on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:13 am
Beauvais wroteMy bad, sorry.

Still, it took me about 10 seconds to go to Wikipedia and look it up:

Thanks for providing the Wiki answer. I suppose I could have gone to Wikipedia myself but sometimes asking the advice of a specialized community results in info I wouldn't have known to ask about. It's helpful to hear what others have done and experienced.

I've learned a lot just from browsing this forum which is why I asked my question. But thanks.
by -Luis- on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:34 am
You need a cable like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FIW-96-110
I use the same cable with my SL 16 console.
by Beauvais on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:34 am
Sure, sorry if I came across as rude. I just tend to research problems for ages by myself when I perhaps just should have asked.. :)

btw, since you'll need a new cable, you might as well go for a thunderbolt to firewire adapter, which would arguably be more future proof.

by MichaelB on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:44 am
Thanks guys,

It's good to know I have some cable options. I might look into the Thunderbolt/FireWire adapter as it does seem as if FireWire is being phased out.

At least I now know that I don't (yet) have to buy a new box

9 posts
Page 1 of 1